Thursday, July 7, 2016

Spicy + smoky tofu open sandwich

When putting together my recent picnic ideas post, I was reminded of how much more creative I could be with vegan sandwiches. Basically, I rarely make them and when I lived in Australia I wasn't very fussed about having them. However, London offers quite a few vegan sandwich options (from Pret A Manger varieties, to the Laura's Idea range in Whole Foods, to lots of hummus-based wraps) and so I have developed more of an affection for sandwich lunches. This post features one I made recently, albeit with so much filling I had to make it an open faced variety!



The star ingredient here is, of course, the tofu. It is cooked without marinade first to facilitate a crispy edge, and then coated with a mix of sriracha, liquid smoke, maple syrup and soy sauce. Simple, but amazing. Spinach and red pepper finished off my sandwich filling, although if you are into mayonnaise you could add a vegan variety, or if you like your bread spread with something, tahini or non-dairy spread could be additional options too.


Spicy and smoky tofu sandwich
A simple but effective lunch
Vegan
Makes enough tofu for 4 sandwiches

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
350g block firm tofu, pressed and then cut into thin squares
Oil spray or a drizzle of oil
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp sriracha (or to taste)
1 tsp maple syrup
1 tsp water

Spinach, sliced red pepper and bread, to serve

Method
After pressing and slicing your tofu, heat a non-stick pan over high heat. Spray or drizzle with oil and then add the tofu pieces in a single layer (I had to place some up the sides to fit them all in). Cook for 3-5 minutes before flipping and repeating for the other side. The pieces should be golden and just starting to crisp up.

Meanwhile, mix together the liquid smoke, soy sauce, sriracha, maple syrup and water. 

When the tofu is golden and starting to appear crisp, reduce heat to medium-low and pour the marinade mix over your tofu. Shake the pan to coat all tofu pieces and then cook for a further 5-10 minutes, turning regularly,  until the marinade is absorbed and the tofu browned.

Create your sandwich with tofu pieces, spinach, pepper and any other desired ingredients.

Are you a sandwich person? Do you have any favourite varieties?

9 comments:

  1. oh I love a good sandwich - there are too many disappointing sandwiches about - this looks so delicious - though you might have to cut back on fillings to take it on the next picnic - though I feel that tofu would make great finger food

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tofu did indeed make good finger food - some got eaten out of sandwich form ;)

      Delete
  2. I wish there were more inventive sandwiches about, the options as you know are quite boring or same o same o. I like this spicy and smoky sandwich and quite amazed that it is tofu, I need to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great looking sandwich. I don't mind sandwiches every now and again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are an easy alternative when needed.

      Delete
  4. Simple... yet delicious! I was never big into sandwiches myself and now that I'm gluten-free, I'm even less so haha. But I bet this would be great on a lettuce wrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it would :-) Or in a GF wrap for that matter!

      Delete
  5. This was delicious, Kari. Thanks so much for sharing it. :)

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).