Thursday, July 14, 2016

Chocolate stewed fruit and raisins

It seems I'm having a chocolate themed week, albeit with quite different chocolate posts. Whilst my last recipe was for a rich and decadent pudding, this one caters to breakfast as easily as dessert. It is a great option if you have apples or pears a little past their best.


The chocolate tones here are quite mild, but you will still pick up on a chocolate flavour. I did wonder about adding chocolate chips to the mix but decided against it. However, I think cacao nibs could work well so that is an optional variation if you want more chocolate to your fruit.

I enjoyed this plan, on cereal and on yoghurt. To me, stewed fruit is particularly good on soggy weetabix and I can definitely recommend this as a comforting addition to them!


Chocolate stewed fruit and raisins
An easy way to turns over-ripe fruit into a delicious breakfast topping, snack or pudding
Makes approximately 1-1/2 cups
Vegan, low in fat, gluten free

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
3 medium apples, chopped
2 medium pears, chopped
1/4 cup sultanas or raisins
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1/3 cup water

Method
Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and heat over medium high heat, covered, until the water reaches simmering point. Reduce heat to low and allow to cook uncovered for a further 20 - 30 minutes, or until the fruit is your desired consistency.

Drain off any residual water if needed before serving.

What are you doing with fruit this week (I'm also eating lots of it plain, as always!)?

12 comments:

  1. Yum! Stewed fruit is particularly good as a way to use up subpar fruit and make it magical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sound of stewed fruit on weetbix as we have a box that is not getting much love and I haven't had enough stewed fruit this winter - cocoa sounds like a good way of making it feel a bit special

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a good match for your current weather I think - possibly even with warm weetabix!

      Delete
  3. I have to be in the mood for stewed fruit. My mother used to make a recipe when I was small and now you mention it, I want to try it, but that can wait as your cocoa version sounds lovely, will have to wait when I get me some pears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're like me, there will inevitably come a time when all your pears get ripe at once and you need something to do with them...so hopefully this will help then ;)

      Delete
  4. I love chocolate and pears together! It's not an overly popular choice usually, but I am really in to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect I like chocolate with most things :D

      Delete
  5. Wow, I would never had thought to add chocolate to stewed fruits. I

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um chocolate is the best theme ever though ;)
    This sounds great!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).