Saturday, July 16, 2016

Mint and paprika butter bean salad

I would struggle to nominate a single favourite legume, but butter beans would definitely make a top 5 list. They're a large, cream-coloured variant of the lima bean and I love their soft, fluffy texture. This salad allows their texture and flavour to shine whilst throwing in some other classic summer ingredients: corn, tomatoes and mint.


I made this salad during the week, as part of a meal to welcome my parents. They have been in the UK (from Australia) for a couple of weeks now but arrived at our place mid-week. It's been great to show them our new home and the local area, and of course to catch up on family and Australian news.

When I made the salad I served it with various other meal components, including boiled baby potatoes. These pictures show the leftover beans and potatoes in a single dish and as they paired very well together I would readily recommend the mix. Otherwise, the bean salad could be added to a wrap, served with greens or paired with a grain base of choice.



Mint and paprika butter bean salad
An easy, summer-themed salad
Serves 4 as a side
Vegan, gluten free and low in fat

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1-1/2 cups cooked butter beans (allow time to cool if cooking from dry)
Corn from 2 corns-on-the-cob
1 small red pepper, chopped
Approx. 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
Small handful mint leaves, roughly chopped
Small handful parsley leaves and stems, roughly chopped
1-1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp maple syrup or liquid sweetener of choice
1/2 tsp water
3/4 tsp dried powdered paprika

Method
Combine the butter beans, corn kernels, pepper, tomatoes, mint and parsley in a serving bowl. 

In a small cup or jug, whisk together the vinegar, maple syrup, water and paprika. Drizzle over the bean salad and mix to combine.

Serve with baby potatoes or your side/s of choice.


Submitted to Healthy Vegan Fridays.

Do you have a favourite legume?

14 comments:

  1. I'm with you, butter beans are top of my list, though for some reason I forget to cook them often.

    It sounds really tasty! I hope you're having a great time with your parents!

    Thanks so much for link up with us again for #HealthyVeganFridays! I’m Pinning and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love butterbeans when I eat them but tend to not have them in my list of top legumes that I use all the time. This looks like a really nice mix of flavours. Glad you are enjoying your parents visiting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna...I go through phases with legumes and periodically forget about some and then remember others!

      Delete
  3. Butter beans would be in my top 5 too. I prefer to cook them from scratch too, rather than tinned - eek! Good to hear your parents are over and checking out your new abode...Enjoy. The weather is predicted to be good too, so more sight seeing plans ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather is really hot in this part of the country! I hope you're enjoying some sunshine over in Wales :-)

      Delete
  4. How great to have your parents over and get to make them something summery! I'm not quite such a fan of butter beans, but I love finding new ways to use them, and this looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious, especially with the potatoes on top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely liked the potato accompaniment!

      Delete
  6. I think that butter beans would be my one of my favourite legumes too, as they are just so creamy. They really bulk out stews and salads too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I really love butter beans too. I had them fresh just this one time and they were AMAZING. I can't even find them dried, but find them canned from time to time. They are pretty awesome. This salad sounds delicious. I hope you are enjoying your visit with your parents =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I've never had fresh ones - that sounds like something to experience if I get a chance!

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).