Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Beetroot pasta with spinach and white bean sauce

When I posted about my beetroot pasta purchase, I got lots of queries about what I would do with the pink noodles. At the time, I really had no idea. I routinely buy food like that - drawn in by novelty or beauty with no meal plan at the time of purchase.

Over time, though, ideas came to me. I wanted something that would contrast with the pink colour. I thought about corn, and still think yellow kernals against pink pasta would be a beautiful thing. In the end, though, I settled on green.



This pasta sauce is made with spinach and white beans, with onion and garlic and a dash of chilli flakes. It was vaguely inspired by a spinach and ricotta sauce my mother used to make for spaghetti, which we would top with sweet chilli sauce. It is very easy, although you do need a food processor or blender.

I imagine this sauce could also be translated into soup, or used to accompany other grains or even baked jacket potatoes. Mr Bite liked it and it is a good way to use up spinach.



Beetroot pasta with spinach and white bean sauce
Serves 3
Vegan


Ingredients
1 400g tin white beans (I used canneloni; any variety would work) in water - not drained
2 cups spinach leaves, lightly packed
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1/4 - 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes (or more to taste)
Olive oil, a drizzle
1 onion, diced
1 clove purple garlic, crushed
200g beetroot flavoured noodles, or other noodles
Pepper

Method
Place the white beans, spinach leaves and herbs in a food processor or blender and process until well combined. 

In a large saucepan, saute the onion and garlic in the oil until starting to brown. Reduce heat to low and add the spinach-bean sauce.

While the sauce is heating, cook the pasta according to packet directions.

To serve, top the cooked pasta with the sauce, add cracked pepper to taste, and mix through.



Whilst any pasta would work here, I have to say that the beetroot noodles were excellent. I adored the colour, and they had a slightly sweet flavour and slightly chewy (in a good way!) texture. I might yet try out that corn against pink idea...

Submitted to Healthy Vegan Friday #57.

What is your favourite easy pasta sauce?

32 comments:

  1. Beetroot pasta? This I haven't seen before. I don't love beetroot though so not sure I'd like it. I love a good bolognaise or a rich tomato sauce just packed with veggies. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't love beetroot either but I couldn't detect any beetroot flavour, fortunately :-)

      Rich tomato sauce with veggies is something that can never go wrong!

      Delete
  2. These are literally all of my favourite foods!!
    I love the basil and spinach and I always use white beans to get a lovely healthy creamy flavour.

    I have squid in pasta at the moment that I am dying to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like beetroot pasta so this is a winner for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think beetroot pasta would carry any sauce really :-)

      Delete
  4. YUM! That is definitely my kinda thing! I'm going to try it over black bean pasta that I have in the cupboard that also needs a bright colour!!!! And thanks for unlining NOT DRAINED, because the first thing I would of done otherwise was drain the beans ;-) hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, it would go beautifully with black bean pasta too! And yes, I figured most people would drain beans instantly ;) It's actually quite rare for me to use tinned beans at all these days but I think they would better for pureeing.

      Delete
  5. Those noodles look truly beautiful and I love your idea for sauce - I once many beetroot gnocchi with a green sauce but I think it was made of peas - I love the pink and green glory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's beautiful isn't it? I like the idea of a pea sauce too!

      Delete
  6. Oh, sweet chilli sauce! I've learnt of late that sweet chilli sauce is a quintessentially Australian thing to be obsessed with/use everywhere. Or, at least, it isn't much known or used in North America. Memories!

    I think this is definitely one of those cases where the stirred-through sauce is far more aesthetically pleasing ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only realised sweet chilli sauce was Australian when I got Americans commenting to ask what it is. I love it! It's about the only sauce I use regularly.

      And yes...definitely mixed up :P

      Delete
  7. I've seen beetroot noodles but never cooked with them. I make quite a few pasta sauces with pureed white beans - they make a wonderful creamy sauce without the use of cream. I think the greenness of this sauce is a pretty contrast to the pink noodles xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie, I think so too :-) I'm definitely sold on white beans in sauces now too - such an easy and effective approach!

      Delete
  8. Love the pink noodles! Never heard of or seen beetroot noodles before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the sound of those noodles! I agree, a yellow sauce sounds beautiful but the green worked well :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was wondering what you were going to do with that beetroot pasta ;). Love this recipe..so simple and healthful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to be able to let you know ;) And thank you!

      Delete
  11. I love how simple this sauce is, it reminds me of a pasta sauce my mother in law makes with white beans. My preference has always been to use cashews for a quick blender sauce although I think I'll have to give your recipe a try one day as it sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like everything I'm making these days is simple ;) Your mother-in-law is onto a good thing I think - this is the first time I've used white beans but I really liked the outcome.

      Delete
  12. Love finding creative pasta ideas to feed the kidlets - cheers for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love wearing green and pink/purple together, so I bet I'd love EATING them together even more!! What a gorgeous pasta!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ate them together whilst wearing the same colours, I bet it would be even more fabulous ;)

      Delete
  14. So COOL. This dish looks wonderful and very healthy too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Never found this flavor of pasta, interesting. Like how you've paired with a creamy sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had to second look this, I was like ' No it's not.. it's pesto'. But hey, you made it and would know better than me :P Love this combo and will definitely be printing. Thanks for the dinner inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).