Sunday, July 10, 2016

Vegan chocolate peanut butter mousse

After loving the effect of silken tofu in chocolate malt pie, I knew it wouldn't be long before I made another dessert with it. And, just 3 weeks later, here it is. This mousse is silky smooth, rich, satisfying, and a harmonious mix of chocolate and peanut butter tones. The mousse is not as firm as the pie filling (that incorporated coconut oil), but still holds its own on a spoon. Basically, it is a chocolate peanut butter cup in mousse form and I liked it very much.


I added some of my recently discovered peanut butter powder to give the peanut butter flavour, but you could use regular peanut butter if needed. There are also a few options for sweetening this. I used carob fruit syrup, which is another new discovery for me. It is made from fruits of the carob flower and has a neutral taste. Other options include agave, rice malt syrup or maple syrup, although the latter two will add a little of their distinctive flavour.

 
I promise you can't taste or detect tofu in this, and whilst the mousse firms up with setting, you may want to savour a bit of the mix straight from your food processor. I certainly did!

Chocolate peanut butter mousse
An easy, decadent vegan dessert blending 4 ingredients to mousse perfection
Serves 4 (or 2-3 if you want more generous serves)

Food processor required

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
300g silken tofu, drained
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup peanut butter powder (or ~2 tbsp peanut butter)
1/4 cup liquid sweetener of choice (I used carob syrup; other options include agave, rice malt or maple syrup)

Cacao nibs, optional, to decorate

Method
Combine the tofu, cocoa powder, peanut butter powder and liquid sweetener in your food processor and process until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and process again to ensure all ingredients are well combined.

Transfer the mix into individual pudding cups or bowls, and allow to chill in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours before serving.

Sprinkle with cacao nibs if desired.


Submitted to Healthy Vegan Fridays.

What are you eating this weekend?

11 comments:

  1. looks delicious and I am interested to hear what you used the peanut butter powder for - I guess it helps to make sure it is nice and smooth to use the powder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The powder did work really well - I am still figuring out its uses myself but this is one I'd repeat!

      Delete
  2. I have been meaning to try making a dessert with tofu and chocolate and peanut butter sounds like a great place to start too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss chocolate peanut butter cups since going vegan so anything peanut butter and chocolate is right up my alley! I am totally making this mousse this week!

    Thanks so much for linking up with us for #HealthyVeganFridays! I’m Pinning and sharing!

    PS, I love your heart spoon! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Mary Ellen :-) I'm glad it appeals and hope you like it if you try it.

      Delete
    2. Just wanted to stop by and say we'll be featuring your recipe this week on Healthy Vegan Fridays! Hope you have a great week!

      Delete
  4. "carob fruit syrup" Oooh I'm going to have to try and find that. This mousse sounds so good! My mom used to make chocolate mousse for me when I was growing up. Not super healthy... but I bet this would remind me of it nicely =) Sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).