Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Vegan caramel cashew fudge

This is not a perfect recipe, but I am sharing it anyway because it is a very delicious one!


The lack of perfection stems from this fudge being too soft in the fridge and too hard in the freezer. I got around this by storing it in the freezer and removing pieces 15 or so minutes before I wanted to eat them (which does also help with portion control...). I am sure the recipe could be tweaked to give a better final texture, but if you're making this for yourself, it's eminently edible as is.

I made this to use up some soya cream, which was leftover from making a repeat of Mr Bite's favourite chocolate mud cake. The (vegan) mud cake uses soya cream for the ganache icing but doesn't require a lot of it, so I am always left with some spare. Often I don't use it in time and have to throw it out, which is terribly wasteful. On this occasion I was determined to avoid that and fudge seemed as good a use as any.


The other inspiration for making this was cashew butter. I bought a jar recently when I had intended to re-stock on almond butter, because the cashew butter was half price whilst the almond variety was not. However, I don't like cashews very much and consequently don't like the cashew butter very much. I was pleased to put a good chunk of the jar into this recipe.

The caramel tones come from lucuma powder, which is now my favourite option for vegan caramel flavours, along with coconut sugar and vanilla. I know not everyone will have lucuma powder in their kitchen, so an alternative would be to make chocolate cashew fudge and use cocoa powder instead. Other powders could work too, if you have maca or protein powder to hand.


Caramel cashew fudge
A delicious vegan fudge that needs to be stored in the freezer, but removed 15 or so minutes before serving

Makes 16 squares

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1/2 cup soya cream (or alternative dairy free cream, or tinned coconut milk may work)
1/2 cup natural cashew butter
1/4 cup lucuma powder (or cocoa powder for a chocolate version)
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1 tsp vanilla paste
Pinch salt

Method
Line a small square or rectangular baking dish with non-stick paper and set aside.

Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and heat over low heat, stirring regularly, until well combined.

Transfer to your prepared pin and allow to cool at room temperature before transferring to the freezer to finish setting. Cut into squares whilst frozen if you have a sharp enough knife, or allow to thaw slightly before cutting.

Store in the freezer but remove a little ahead of time (15 or so minutes) to thaw before serving.

What is your favourite nut / nut butter variety? I think pecans, almonds and pistachios top my list although have only had almonds in nut butter form!

8 comments:

  1. sounds delicious - I must try lucuma one of these days - would a bit of agar help it set - wondering what else would firm it up - psyllium husk??? - have you got ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of coconut oil but it doesn't really need more fat so your ideas are better I suspect! Coconut flour might be another option.

      I definitely recommend lucuma for fun. It's quite pricey but lasts ages.

      Delete
  2. This sounds delicious. I have never heard of lacuma powder before, so it's great to learn something new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only discovered it in the last few years myself :-)

      Delete
  3. I never knew it was so easy to make fudge vegan. I will have to try it out, as my husband loves fudge, especially at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to know how he compares the traditional sort to the vegan variety :-)

      Delete
  4. Ah I thought I was the only one who used lacuma powder to get a good caramel flavour.
    It's too bad you don't like cashew butter as I find it is much cheaper. I actually really like it so I have a feeling I'll love this! Sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds delicious, I have some maca powder that I need to find more uses for too. It's serendipitous. I love cashews.... I think I would have revelled in finding half price cashew butter!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).