Sunday, July 3, 2016

In my kitchen - July 2016

There is no central In My Kitchen round-up this month, but I am sharing some of my July highlights.

There is a lot happening in my kitchen this month. I think one of the most exciting things is the presence of home grown raspberries. My raspberry bushes are doing incredibly well and I'm picking 6-10 berries every few days. This is not something I could do in Australia!


When I'm not eating raspberries I may be found eating local Kent cherries. These are now available at roadside stalls all around us. The stalls aren't noticeably cheaper than the supermarket (unless you buy enormous quantities that one cherry eater really can't justify) but they are a nice way to support farmers directly.



My kitchen has also seen some new meat alternative products. Tesco keeps bringing out additions to their range and I enjoyed these oriental cakes recently.


They are a bit like risotto cakes, and the accompanying lemongrass and ginger sauce was particularly tasty.




I also tried a new-to-me option from Gosh!, in the form of mixed seed, quinoa, carrot and coriander bakes. They have a minted pea centre, which I found a little odd, but they were still nice for a change.


Tesco have also produced an own-brand alternative to Naked bars. They aren't quite like Naked bars - the banana ones include soya protein pieces (a bit like the Naked crunch range) and the berry ones include oats - but they are substantially cheaper. They're good for throwing in my bag and having on hand when out and about.


I am always drawn to creatively shaped crumpets and so was pleased to see these dog ones recently. They don't look overly dog like, but I still had fun eating them. This one is spread with Marmite.



After loving the Doisy & Dam chocolate Mr Bite gave me for Christmas (with ginger, chilli flakes and hemp seed) I recently picked up another in their range. This one features mulberries, chia seeds and spirulina. It is just as good as my Christmas block and has consolidated my love of the brand - excellent mid-cocoa dark chocolate with a smooth texture and interesting flavours.


Some of my UK readers may have seen the Pip & Nut range that has turned up at Sainsburys. It features nut butters with various flavour twists, but I've resisted buying the jars as they are quite pricey. Recently their individual squeeze packs were on special so I picked up the coconut almond butter variety. I liked it, although it is sweeter than my usual nut butters due to added agave syrup. I also don't love the individual pack format - too messy!


Another exciting nutty discovery was this PB Fit peanut butter powder. It is made from roasting peanuts and then extracting much of the oil. The result is a powder that can be turned into low fat peanut butter (if you mix it with water) or added to things to give a peanut flavour. I've been doing the latter - it works well in smoothies, yoghurt and on soya ice cream.


My kitchen (and my desk) has also featured more green smoothies lately. It might not be overly summery yet, but the lighter days and intermittent sunshine make smoothies appealing again.


Last but not least, my kitchen features a new phone - the Moto G 4th generation Android model. It replaces my 2-year old Moto G that had a cracked screen for a year (after I dropped it on a rock!) and which had run out of memory space. I love the new model and the in-built camera is also much improved from my previous phone. It will be interesting to see how much I use my proper camera relative to the phone one now.

What is happening in your kitchen this month?

14 comments:

  1. your raspberries look great and I am intrigued by the peanut butter powder (if only I didn't live with a Pb allergic kid) and those crumpets are so cute. I am admiring your healthy garden and hearing of your phone change makes me pleased my phone has lasted 3.5 years - probably quite an old phone in this day and age - sadly my phone is a bit more healthy than my garden at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3.5 years is very impressive - I don't usually drop my phones but even aside from the cracked screen, I don't think I've got more than 2 years with a model in recent times. I keep discovering new apps and then filling up memory!

      Delete
  2. Yay - I am glad that your raspberries are doing well. We have just started getting loads of strawberries off our plants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. RASPBERRIES! Wow, I'm super impressed with your gardens.
    Cherries *just* went out of season here. We are a little bummed. But other things are coming in, so we can console ourselves.
    Gosh! sounds good. And the chocolate!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you ate your fill of cherries when they were about :-)

      Delete
  4. Your raspberries look delicious and I'm particularly drawn to the bright snail planter! I saw some peanut butter powder while at Coles recently and admit I was intrigued but couldn't justify getting it. You may have convinced me to give it a try. I can't wait for cherries to be delicious and locally grown here... cherries make me think of Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They reminded me of Christmas in Australia too - it's funny how all my seasonal associations are now different!

      Delete
  5. Peanut butter powder sounds like an interesting ingredient. I wonder if someone will develop a peanut butter cookie recipe that uses it -- measuring peanut butter has never been one of my favorite tasks.

    Nice things in your kitchen!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peanut butter cookies are an excellent idea for the powder - thanks!

      Delete
  6. Lots of good stuff in your kitchen - I am also intriuged by the PB powder - Powders seem to the fashionable thing at the moment. I've had my phone now for 10 years, its pay as you go - I rarely use it. I want some cherries!
    PS you have given me a nudge to go in the garden and harvest some raspberries too, they are coming along slowly but surely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clearly you are better with your phones than me!! Enjoy harvesting your raspberries and I hope you find some cherries too :-)

      Delete
  7. Growing your own raspberries must be amazing, my nephews love them but had no luck growing them in their garden Kari. I've never heard of PB powder, may keep my eye out for some, if they have it here in Oz.
    IMK https://missfoodfairy.com/2016/07/11/in-my-kitchen-july-2016/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think raspberries are much easier in the UK than Australia, depending on where your nephews are :-)

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).