Tuesday, December 2, 2014

In my kitchen - December 2014

I am linking this post in to Celia's monthly In My Kitchen event at Fig Jam and Lime Cordial.

December! I am starting to get quite excited for the end of the year and its associated festivities. Christmas isn't really evident in my kitchen yet, but it is very evident in London. Community markets are popping up everywhere, and I am spoilt for choice with outdoor ice skating rinks.

I'm sure my kitchen will be Christmassy before long, but in the mean time, here are some of the other things happening in it this month.

There have been more treats from Ruby's of London vegan stall at the Greenwich Markets. Some of you may remember me trying one of her caramel pecan cupcake earlier in the year. I didn't love that, but absolutely adored the vegan orange and carrot cake I bought on this occasion. (And it truly was in my kitchen, because I took it home!)

Ruby's of London vegan orange and carrot cake, with 'cream cheese' icing


I had trouble deciding what to purchase, so also took home an iced raspberry and pistachio baked doughnut. I haven't really got into the recent doughnut craze, but this was very good, even eaten the day after purchase.

Ruby's of London vegan raspberry and pistachio doughnut

Mr Bite bought an amazing chocolate cake from the markets too, from a non-vegan stall whose name I neglected to record. I'm sorry about that, because he said it was very good. The icing certainly looked amazing.


Moving away from sweet things, my kitchen has also featured lots of aubergine (eggplant). It has been included in a few of my recent recipes, and ever since trying Gourmet Burger Kitchen's 'hippy dippy' burger, I have been obsessed with the combination of aubergine, pineapple and tahini.

Potato flatbread with aubergine in tahini, salad, and some pineapple on the side

It's hard to believe that a few years ago, I rarely ate aubergine and was pretty unsure about cooking it. These days I just throw it in the oven, or on a grill, or in a non-stick pan with whatever I want to flavour it with.

Aubergine slices sauted in red wine vinegar and served with roast peppers, kale, and a roll

I was also fortunate to receive a package from Vegan Life Magazine last week, including a gorgeous bag that I will be proud to use...


...and some 'green superfood' powder sachets from the American company Amazing Grass. I have the original flavour, which combines greens (like spirulina, spinach and wheat grass) with fruit flavours (including pineapple and raspberry) and maca and acai. They will be great for keeping green smoothies in rotation across the winter months!


Last but not least, my kitchen has some favourite plates. These are not new, but often receive comments when I use them in photos. A few of you have wondered what the plates show (as typically I photograph them with food) so I've included them below. The plates were a wedding gift from my brother and sister and represent the four seasons. They're made by Rob Ryan, who makes other gorgeous crockery too.


What is happening in your kitchen this month?

28 comments:

  1. fantastic to see your plates - what a beautiful and thoughtful present. the cakes and the eggplant all look good - enjoy the festive season in the 'right' side of the world - there are many reasons I love Christmas in the UK but if I never see another ice skating rink I would be quite happy (ok I like them from afar)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Well, you could happily look on without needing to partake - if I'm honest, I'm not entirely sure Mr Bite wouldn't prefer that too ;)

      Delete
  2. The doughnut and carrot cake from Ruby's look very good. The doughnut is so pretty. And that chocolate cake looks like a true slice of chocolate cake - rich and decadent. I love your blue plates - very pretty! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie! And yes, that cake did sum up what I think chocolate cake ought to be.

      Delete
  3. The plates are beautiful, what a lovely present! I've only recently made friends with aubergine and I now love it roasted in the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that doughnut... and those plates. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they just. I should have photographed the doughnut on the plate!

      Delete
  5. G'day Gorgeous plates that bring back so many childhood memories!
    Thanks also for this month's kitchen view too!
    Cheers! Joanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping my Joanne - I am off to check out your kitchen now.

      Delete
  6. I need to get me some Rubys - it all looks so good. I love your blue and white plates.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those sweet treats look amazing and I adore those plates!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The plates look beautiful, I can see why you get a lot of comments about them. Aubergine is something I enjoy but for some reason don't cook at home much. I'll have to get back into that, pineapple does sound like a great compliment to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find pineapple complements a lot of things, but aubergine is a particular hit!

      Delete
  9. Everything in your kitchen looks relish this month! those plates are gorgeous! I need to branch out more with eggplant as I only seems to eat it when i make eggplant parmigiana! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough, I have never had eggplant parmigiana! It is such a versatile vegetable.

      Delete
  10. I love Rubys - so many pretty things to eat - almost as pretty as those plates!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kari - I see you've gone to the dark side and call it aubergine now. Whatever you call it, its delicious! Though we spent two very bitter Winetrs in the UK in 09/10, I'm still a little envious about your trips to Christmas markets. Thaks for the tour and for showing us your lovely plates. cheers. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, yes - I am trying to fit in but confess eggplant still comes more naturally ;) Thanks for stopping by and I hope you are enjoying the sunshine now you're back in the summery Christmas season.

      Delete
  12. Hello. I'm just joining In Your Kitchen this month. Love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh yes gorgeous plates. i love kitchenware with typography. i am a huge fan of eggplants. nothing better than a smoky baba ganoush is there? i intend to make relish with them this Xmas; i was planning to do that last xmas so i must finally get around to it. Merry xmas to you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful plates! And outdoor skating rinks! Kari, that's like something out of the movies! :) Hope you had a glorious white (or at least wintry) Christmas! All the best for 2015! x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my those plates are simply adorable! :D

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).