Friday, May 23, 2014

Apple-orange-ginger cider cake

I am really stringing out our Mother's Day picnic! This cake is the last creation I'm sharing from the day, and I have been postponing it for a few reasons. The first is that it involves cider, thanks to the generosity of Rekorderlig cider. I mentioned Rekorderlig in my Taste of Perth posts, and I thought you might like a little cider break before I returned to it with this cake. The second reason is that I posted an apple gingerbread cake not too long ago. This cake is different, but one apple cake a month seemed like an appropriate limit!


Having waited patiently, I am now very pleased to share this cake with you. Funnily enough, I made an apple cider cake for Mother's Day last year too, but that used apple juice rather than proper (alcoholic) cider. It was also a plain apple cake, and this year I expanded out to a more complex flavour profile.

I made this by adapting a spiced apple and cider cake from Delia online. The adaptations included making it vegan, simplifying the cake's topping, and using Rekorderlig orange and ginger cider instead of the dry apple cider originally called for. The result was a super moist cake with subtle orange and ginger flavours mixed in with the apple. It worked very well, and was delicious plain (although I'm sure ice cream would accompany it nicely too).


Why did I use orange ginger cider in this? Well, after Rekorderlig provided me with vouchers for Taste of Perth, I thought my interactions with the company were over. However, I had forgotten an email exchange with the lovely staff at Exposure Public Relations and Marketing. In it, I'd mentioned being interested in baking with cider. That culminated in an unexpected delivery of two bottles of Rekorderlig orange and ginger cider, accompanied by an orange, some fresh ginger, and some cinnamon sticks. Not only was my cider baking provided for, I had some bonus snacks too! I ate the orange, cooked with the ginger, baked with the cider (well, with one bottle - I gave the other to my sister), and still have the cinnamon sticks. The company's generosity is impressive.


If you don't have orange and ginger cider, you could make this cake with any cider variety. However, I really recommend seeking an orange/ginger mix out. It made for a beautiful cake.

Apple-orange-ginger cider cake
A beautifully flavoured cake that blends apples with orange, ginger and spices
Makes 1 cake to serve approximately 10
Vegan

Author: Bite-Sized Thoughts, adapted from a spiced apple and cider cake on Delia Online


Ingredients
1 medium apple + 2 medium apples, divided
200ml Rekorderlig orange-ginger cider
75g sultanas (small raisins)
225g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp + 1 tsp cinnamon, divided
1 tsp mixed spice (or equal parts cloves and nutmeg)
150g Nuttelex or other non-dairy spread
150g + 25g (2 tbsp) brown sugar, divided
Commercial egg replacer to the equivalent of 2 eggs, or 1 tbsp chia seeds soaked in 3 tbsp water

Method
Preheat your oven to 180'C and grease and line a round cake tin.

Roughly chop one of the apples (including peel) and place in a medium bowl with the cider and raisins. Set aside while you prepare the other ingredients.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, mixed spice, non-dairy spread, 150g brown sugar and egg replacer. Beat with an electric beater for approximately one minute on medium speed, until creamy.

Fold the apple/cider/raisin mixture into the cake batter, and then transfer to your prepared cake tin.

Peel and slice the remaining two apples and arrange over the top of the cake. Sprinkle over the extra 1 tsp of cinnamon and 2 tbsp brown sugar.

Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 20 minutes, monitoring carefully after the 1 hour mark. The cake should be golden when cooked, and an inserted skewer should come out clean.

Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes and then allow to cool fully on a wire rack. 

Serve plain, or with ice cream or cream.


I received two complimentary bottles of Rekorderlig orange-ginger cider. The recipe, this post and my opinions are my own and I did not receive sponsorship or other payment for sharing them.

Have you done much cider baking?

21 comments:

  1. Looks really tasty! I love alcohol in desserts. I think I'd be fine with all apple cakes, all the time, but I understand your reasoning. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon! I'd be happy with them all the time too, so I'm glad I'm not alone ;)

      Delete
  2. That sounds awesome--the perfect compliment to a mug of hot tea! Love the way you arranged the apple slices on top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you June - and you are right, this was perfect with tea (although of course, most things are in my book) :-)

      Delete
  3. I must try baking with Rekorderlig Cider!! This sounds and looks amazing! How awesome they sent an Orange, Cinnamon sticks and extra Cider for it! My favourite Rekorderlig flavour is the Guava one! Yum...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister loved the guava flavour too :-)

      Delete
  4. This looks impressive! I love cakes with apples. Wish I had some of that cider!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my - this looks so very wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cake looks great - I see so many interesting ciders at farmers markets but don't feel I should bake with it for kids so I don't tend to buy it - but we have had one or two that I really enjoyed - love the idea of it in cakes and trying the flavours of Rekorderlig - I think I had a strawberry cider that would go very nicely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assumed most of the alcohol baked out (if that is the correct term), but suppose some must linger, so I can see that it may not be best for children! Although...that could be an excuse to have a cake entirely for adult enjoyment ;)

      Delete
    2. I think I just get paranoid but should look into it more - It think most of the alcohol does cook out

      Delete
    3. I think it must, because on reflection, given I don't drink alcohol normally I'd probably have felt a tad tipsy after this otherwise!

      Delete
  7. Whoa, what an exciting combo! Another must-try! Thanks for sharing!

    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have done some cider baking but not for awhile and only in bread (which works a treat :-)
    I would like to give making it a crack though...need more bench space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still need to try it in bread! And I hear you on the bench space...and just in general space!

      Delete
  9. What a lovely cake - and I'm sure I'd love to drink the cider.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could drink it while eating the cake ;)

      Delete
  10. I have really been enjoying cider lately - though never thought to use it in cake! Will have to give this a go with my cider ladies!!! lol

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).