Thursday, May 15, 2014

Apricot and walnut quinoa salad with edamame beans

Our Mother's Day picnic wasn't, of course, limited to cherry ripe balls. The savoury fare included a jumbo green salad, bread rolls, crackers, a selection of cheeses and some herbed chicken. And, this apricot and walnut salad with associated edamame beans.

Apricot and walnut quinoa salad

I had originally intended to add the edamame beans to the salad, and if you buy edamame shelled, that would make sense. However, I really love eating edamame beans out of their pods! I also knew that not everyone in my family would eat quinoa, but thought everyone could enjoy edamame. As such, I served the beans alongside.


This is a relatively sweet salad, and it could work as a side dish or a stand-alone lunch. In addition to dried apricots and walnuts, it is flavoured with orange juice, soy sauce, chives and parsley. Carrot, pepper and sprouts round out the quinoa too.

I usually prefer white quinoa but ended up with this multi-coloured variety last time I restocked. For this salad, it worked really well. The colouring is attractive and red quinoa has a slight nuttiness that complements the apricots and walnuts. Obviously any variety of quinoa would work though, and you could use other grains too if you preferred.


Apricot and walnut quinoa salad with edamame beans
A flavour-packed salad that serves 8 as a generous side or 4 to 6 as a main
Vegan

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1-1/2 cups quinoa, uncooked
3 cups of water
1 large carrot, diced
1 red or yellow pepper, chopped
1 small bunch parsley, chopped
1 small bunch chives, chopped
1/2 cup roughly chopped dried apricots
1/2 cup roughly chopped walnuts
Juice of 1 large orange (approximately 1/2 cup)
1 tsp soy sauce
Approximately 3/4 cup shelled edamame beans, or equivalent in pods
Sprouts, for serving

Method
Cook the quinoa in the water according to packet instructions. Half way through cooking, add the carrot and pepper to the pan and then continue cooking.

When the quinoa mix has cooked, allow to sit, covered, for at least 10 minutes. Remove from heat and mix through the chopped herbs, apricots, walnuts, orange juice and soy sauce. 

Serve with edamame beans and sprouts.


Submitted to Healthy Vegan Fridays.

Does anyone share my joy in eating edamame beans out of their pods?!

22 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I like quinoa, but quinoa doesn't like me. However, I think the same principles would work well with alternatives like millet or cous cous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would definitely sub in well - in fact, you have reminded me that I really need to try millet!

      Delete
  2. I am totally with you on the edamame beans! It's so much fun popping them straight into your mouth. In fact, it's the only way my son will eat them. When I make my 'Purple Haze Salad', I actually have to give him a side portion of podded beans as it won't eat them if they're sprinkled in the salad. Kids eh?
    I love the flavours you've used in this quinoa salad. I can just imagine how scrumptious it tastes ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can completely understand your son's style! I obviously have a childish part that comes out around edamame beans ;)

      Delete
  3. Mmmm I love me some edamame! Sprinkle some sea salt on them and I'm in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't get over how much quinoa is all the rage. Recipes everywhere! But this is a lovely original one I'd not seen before. Sounds like a great combo.

    Krissie x - http://pearlsofstyle.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely in its 'fad' stage! Luckily I like it so I don't mind seeing it pop up everywhere :-) Thanks for stopping by Krissie!

      Delete
  5. This is such a smart integration of all the ingredients...wow!!! Apricot, walnut, quinoa, beans - every great nutrient plus distinct taste is in this dish. I love it!

    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
  6. This salad looks amazing and so nourishing! I love the colors! I can relate to loving eating edamame straight from the pod :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they wonderful that way? I'm glad you like the look of this too :-)

      Delete
  7. This is a really pretty salad, Kari. I love yellow peppers but they're not always available! Edamame beans are so popular at the moment and I love to eat them straight from the pod so I love your presentation xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the price of yellow peppers that often limits me! They can be so expensive - but then occasionally I see them at the same price as red ones, and stock up :D

      Delete
  8. Yes I do!!!!! They are so much more satisfying that way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love pairing sweet with savory, especially in grain salads! This is so beautifully colorful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I take any excuse to get sweet in ;) It does seem to work well with the earthiness of quinoa in particular though!

      Delete
  10. I adore quinoa salads - yours looks so good! And I've only just discovered edamame beans. I bought some frozen in their pods from the supermarket. Do you buy yours fresh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you've discovered edamame! I buy them frozen too, usually in their pods, from an Asian supermarket :-) I can buy them shelled but prefer them in pods for enjoyable eating.

      Delete
  11. Kari, this salad looks absolutely lovely!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).