Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Vegan mocha almond fudge soft serve

Have you tried the mocha almond fudge coconut ice cream made by So Delicious? It is rather expensive in Australia so I've only had it a few times, but it is one of my favourite So Delicious flavours. Today's post is all about making a quick and easy spin off at home.


Homemade mocha almond fudge softserve

My version of this uses banana soft serve as the 'ice cream' base, which is obviously not the same as coconut ice cream. However, I really like banana soft serve, not just for its taste and texture, but for its convenience and straightforward ingredient list (banana!). Even if you don't love banana soft serve in its own right, I think you'll find it is a worthy carrier for the mocha almond flavours of this dessert.



I chose to include almonds within the soft serve, using almond butter plus whole almonds partially ground with the banana. The mocha component was made as a topping, using cocoa, coffee, rice malt syrup and almond milk. I served the dish in a (vegan) wafer basket because, well, why not? It's been a while since I've had an ice cream sundae and this took me right back to high school!


Of course, you don't need a wafer basket for this, and it would be just as enjoyable eaten from a bowl. I hope you like it however you choose to serve it.

Mocha almond fudge soft serve 
A delicious vegan dessert that is healthier and cheaper than a commercial equivalent
Vegan and can be raw
Serves 1

Food processor required


Author: Bite-sized thoughts

Ingredients
For the mocha topping -
2 tsp cocoa powder
1/2 - 1 tsp (to taste) coffee powder
1 tsp rice malt syrup or agave
1 tbsp almond milk

For the soft serve -
1 large frozen banana, broken into chunks
6 whole almonds
1 heaped tsp of almond butter
1 - 2 tsp almond milk

Method
Combine the topping ingredients (cocoa, coffee, rice malt syrup / agave, almond milk) in a small bowl or jar and whisk to combine. Place in the freezer to firm up while you make the soft serve.

To make the soft serve, place the frozen banana and whole almonds in a food processor and process until the mixture starts to clump together. Scrap down the sides of the bowl, add the almond butter and almond milk, and process again until smooth.

Drizzle the mocha topping over the soft serve, and enjoy.

Gone!

Submitted to Healthy Vegan Fridays.

Do you have a favourite ice cream flavour? I am rather fickle, but saw a vegan chocolate cherry ice cream the other day that sounded amazing!

18 comments:

  1. Oooh yum yum yum! I'm actually sharing a mocha recipe on my blog soon too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, yay! I shall look forward to it :-)

      Delete
  2. This looks so good - with or without a wafer basket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw! I think wafer baskets improve most things in life, but you're right, it's not essential at all here :-)

      Delete
  3. Looks delicious! I love banana soft serve, it seems like there are endless ways to prepare it. I'll have to try this variation when I'm in the mood for some nice cold ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed wonderfully versatile. Simple and fruity to decadent and chocolate-y - I love it all ways!

      Delete
  4. Even if I don't know what it is at first glance, I would love to put in my mouth in an instant! It's just so tempting. This just goes to show that goodness doesn't always have to be expensive. Great recipe!

    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
  5. You didn't eat the wafer basket! I would have loved it with the wafer. I love those baskets and think they give great presentation. I would have snapped some off to enjoy with every mouthful. I think bananas make a great base for a sundae xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I definitely ate it! I just ate it last :-) It was flavoured and slightly soggy, just how I like it!

      Delete
  6. This sounds so healthy and delicious! I cannot resist any ice cream that has the word chocolate in it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great approach to ice cream selection to me!

      Delete
  7. YUMMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love cherries & cocoa with banana soft serve. That's my fav by far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that sounds wonderful. I am not sure I've ever done that precise combination - I'll have to fix that!

      Delete
  8. Looks delicious! I love the sound of almonds, chocolate and coffee flavours :) homemade is always more thrilling because ... Well, you get to make it and eat it all! I've tried that brand of ice cream before and like it- just shame it's so expensive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's ridiculously priced, isn't it? I didn't do the maths for this version but I'm sure it's far more economical...even if you eat twice as much ;)

      Delete
  9. I'm so in awe that you made that - I fear I'm way too lazy to put in all that effort, even though it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the effort was about 2 minutes, so it's not too taxing at all!

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).