Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Triple chickpea stack

I had such fun making and naming this dish. There is something about three layers of chickpeas, in three different forms, that appeals to my kitchen creativity. If the photos don't immediately give it away, the three forms here are chickpea flour (besan flour) pancakes, whole chickpeas, and hummus.


This can be as easy or complicated as your life permits. I cooked chickpeas from dry and made the hummus myself, but then took a short cut with ratatouille and used a commercial tin for that. If you needed a meal in a hurry, you could use tinned chickpeas and store bought hummus; if you are more organised than I was you could whip of ratatouille yourself.


Even with store bought ingredients, this would be a meal to offer lots of nutrition for minimal cost. I liked it a lot. I confess, though, that Mr Bite added sauce to his (mango chutney of all things - not an addition I would have thought of). He liked it well enough with that addition, but I can't claim this held universal appeal in our house.

I list how I made my hummus below, but there are plenty of hummus recipes online and you may have your own favourite. You only need around half a cup of hummus for this meal, so if you do make a batch of from scratch there will be plenty leftover.

Triple chickpea stack
Layers of chickpea flour pancakes, hummus, and a chickpea-ratatouille filling
Vegan
Serves 4

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


For the chickpea flour pancakes -
Ingredients
2 cups besan / chickpea flour
2 cups water

Method
Whisk together the flour and water and heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Oil if needed,

Ladle approximately 1/2 cup of the mixture into the pan and tilt to form a thin pancake. Cook for several minutes on each side, until golden brown.

For the hummus (if making from scratch) -
Ingredients
2 cups cooked chickpeas
2 tbsp tahini
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 garlic cloves
2 tsp dried herbs of choice
Dash of salt and pepper, to taste

Method
Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl regularly. Use approximately half a cup when layering your stacks and reserve the remainder for other uses.

Chickpea-ratatouille filling -
Ingredients
2 cups cooked chickpeas
1-2/ cups ratatouille (I used a commercial variety)

Method
Combine the chickpeas and ratatouille in a saucepan and heat through.

For the stacks -
Layer together the pancakes, hummus and chickpea-ratatouille filling, and serve.


Submitted to Healthy Vegan Fridays.

How are you eating chickpeas at the moment (if at all)?

18 comments:

  1. I love this idea - you can never have enough chickpeas in your life! I seem to have been eating chickpeas in curries and stews lately but also love them in a mock tuna salad quite often too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am yet to try a chickpea mock tuna salad - thanks for the reminder!

      Delete
    2. HOW I GET A LOAN HELP @ 2% INTEREST RATE With victoriafinancier@outlook.com

      I was not sure of getting a legit loan lender online But when i could not face my Debt any more, my son was on hospital bed for surgery that involve huge money and i also needed some money to refinance and get a good home then i have to seeks for Assistance from friends and when there was no hope any more i decide to go online to seek a loan and i find VICTORIA LAWSON Trust Loan Firm (victoriafinancier@outlook.com) with 2% interest Rate and applied immediately with my details as directed. Within seven Days of my application She wired my loan amount with No hidden charges and i could take care of my son medical bills, Renew my rent bill and pay off my debt. I will advice every loan seeker to contact VICTORIA LAWSON LOAN Company with victoriafinancier@outlook.com For easy and safe transaction.

      *Full Name:_________

      *Address:_________

      *Tell:_________

      *loan amount:_________

      *Loan duration:_________

      *Country:_________

      *Purpose of loan:_________

      *Monthly Income:__________

      *Occupation__________

      *Next of kin :_________

      *Email :_________

      Delete
  2. I cannot get enough chickpeas. I love them. This is a great combo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, what a great idea.... there is no such thing as too much chickpeas in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chickpeas Three Ways - I like this and I am stealing this idea to make, it would be a lovely starter to a meal. Chickpeas are my favourite bean, legume, pulse! I am so pleased you had fun making and naming this recipe, I really do like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is sooo cool! I love how you put all of the ways to eat chickpeas together. I'm seriously obsessed with chickpeas so anything with them in it is a must-try for me. I couldn't tell what the 3rd way was until you said hummus but that's a brilliant topping!

    Thanks so much for linking up with us for Healthy Vegan Fridays! I’m Pinning and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. there must be some chick pea multiplier effect - three lots of chick peas is definitely more than three times as tasty! I'm rather partial to tinned ratatouille, and this is really nice way to use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I have a fellow tinned ratatouille fan :-)

      Delete
  7. Yum - I like chickpeas and this is a great way to serve them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds so great! What a tasty protein filled lunch for after a long run!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh I'm loving all of the chickpea varieties. Very creative and lovely, especially for a chickpea lover like me.
    "I cooked chickpeas from dry and made the hummus myself, but then took a short cut with ratatouille and used a commercial tin for that."
    I can appreciate that. I find myself going to effort to make many things... but other things, I just can't be bothered (like tomato sauce for some reason). I think the pancakes layered with the chickpeas and topped with ratatouille would make for a warming meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it's not just me who has shortcuts for certain foods :-) I am the same with tomato sauce too!

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).