Thursday, May 29, 2014

Quintuple spiced lentil eggplant curry

I had a bit of trouble naming this dish. I didn't think of it as a curry, but couldn't come up with a better descriptor - and technically, curry is probably right. I then dithered between five spiced and quintuple spiced. I am not thrilled with either, but quintuple won out to avoid Chinese five spice confusion (my five spices are not those five spices!). In all, it is probably easier to eat this meal than to label it. Fortunately, it tastes so good that I don't think it matters too much what it's called.


The five spices featured are turmeric, cumin, ginger, tarragon and cardamom. It was an impromptu mix, but one I can now recommend. The flavours were warm and varied and slightly sweet, and a perfect match for the vegetables. 




I served this with chickpea pancakes, which means the dish is quite similar to my lentil-vegetable filled chickpea pancakes from last month. However, the spices are different here, and so are the tomato and pepper components. If I'm honest, I liked this version better than the last!

You could also serve this with rice or quinoa, or just enjoy it straight up. It is easy to make, and very easy to eat.


Quintuple spiced lentil eggplant curry
A satisfying meal that is beautifully flavoured by the five featured spices
Serves 4 if paired with chickpea pancakes, rice or quinoa
Vegan, low fat and gluten free

Author: Bite-Sized Thoughts


Ingredients
2 baby eggplants, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp tarragon
1/4 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp salt
1-1/2 cups (1 tin) crushed tomatoes
1-1/2 cups (1 tin) lentils
2 tbsp lemon juice

Drizzle of oil, for sauteing

Method
Saute the eggplant and pepper over high heat, until starting to brown. Add the spices and salt, and stir to coat the vegetables.

Add the tomatoes, lentils and lemon juice and reduce heat to low. Allow to simmer for at least 15 minutes, but up to an 45 minutes. The flavours will develop with longer cooking.


Submitted to Healthy Vegan Fridays.

What spices are you enjoying this week?

21 comments:

  1. Sounds curry-like to me! I love your five spices. I think more than the Chinese five spices. So much flavor in this meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, I love a good curry recipe, I'll have to try this soon. Your name is perfect--I'm sure its quintuple delicious too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally know what you mean. Sometimes naming your recipes (or posts) is the hardest part! You should patent your five spices. It needs to be bottled up. I think I have everything in my pantry except for cardamom. This is a curry I wouldn't mind enjoying straight up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely ate some of it that way Min :-)

      Delete
  4. curry and chickpea pancakes sounds so good - and this curry reminds me I should not neglect eggplant - I really like the idea of pairing it with lentils and tomato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a bit wary of eggplant sometimes - and at other times just forget about it! - but it really played a great role here. I recommend it :)

      Delete
  5. Quintuple is a good name. Chinese five spice and I don't get along and any connotation to it and I stop paying attention. This one however, all of my attention dear Kari :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness I didn't go with five spiced in that case!

      Delete
  6. Hey, I love your spices! What a great spice collaboration in this dish. I can imagine the flavours in the aroma and taste. Thanks for sharing!

    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like the look of it Julie :-)

      Delete
  7. I love a good hearty curry like this one, especially in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love the look of your pancakes! What a great dish, Kari, and it's so full of flavour - I love the sound of that combination of spices xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Charlie - I certainly enjoyed it :)

      Delete
  9. I often don't know what to do with eggplant, but this looks delicious with the lentils and spices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often don't know what to do with it either! Thank goodness I hit on this, as it will give me inspiration next time I'm stuck with one too ;)

      Delete
  10. Def my type of dish - nice and easy home cooking :-) My hubby would eat this too I reckon - lentils & tomatoes :-)
    hehehee yeah sometimes it's hard to think of an appropriate name for food!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).