Monday, April 1, 2013

Rum and raisin vegan cupcakes and roast peppers with currants and pine nuts: Easter Sunday


As a child, Easter was a big event. Not as big as Christmas, but similar to a birthday. There was anticipation, excitement, and a sense of importance attached to the day.

The Easters of my childhood usually followed a similar structure. There was an Easter egg hunt in the morning, to find small eggs left by the Easter bunny. There was a bigger egg or chocolate rabbit from my parents. We would see my Australian grandparents for lunch, and that meeting would generate more chocolate. The lunch itself was appropriately eventful too: a hot lunch, perhaps a roast, which was not common in my family. After lunch we might go for a walk, or visit a park. In later years we sometimes had picnics.



These days, Easter is still an occasion for time with family, but it is not a big occasion. The magic of those childhood Easters has necessarily gone. I can now buy chocolate any day of the year, for a start. I still scatter eggs around the house for Mr Bite to collect, but the exhilaration of an Easter bunny visit is lacking.

I don't mind this change. I am not reflecting on past Easters out of a sense of nostalgia, other than the twang that comes with realising that grandparents we once celebrated with are gone. My reflection is more on how things change, how childhood Easters can morph into something equally enjoyable but more casual, less eventful. More adult, I suppose.

Don't focus too much on the icing...

Yesterday, our family celebrations fell in the evening as my sister was working during the day. To facilitate the merging of families and one much loved dog, Mr Bite and I hosted. It was a fun night. We quadrupled the normal number of people around our dining room table. I made more food than needed, and we have a fridge full of leftovers to balance out chocolates. It is a good position to be in.


Honouring my preference to roast or bake dishes when I'm hosting people, so as to avoid standing over a stove top when guests arrive, most of the savoury dishes were oven cooked. I made a variation of stuffed peppers that I have made many a time, and a variation of the maple and balsamic roast vegetables and tofu I have posted previously. The variation on the maple and balsamic dish was simply in the vegetables: pumpkin, potato and cauliflower instead of carrot, sweet potato and potato. The pepper recipe is below. When paired with a green salad, some Turkish bread and hummus, we had plenty of food.



I also made rum and raisin cupcakes. To be honest, I am not entirely sure about these. I liked them, but my taste buds didn't quite know how to categorise them. My previous rum and raisin experiences have been with chocolate, and these are not chocolate. I have never drunk rum of the alcoholic variety or cooked with it. I thus found these a little odd, but nonetheless delicious. Others seemed to enjoy them, and if you are more familiar with rum, perhaps it would be easier to slot their flavour into a mental taste map. Alternatively, Mr Bite has just informed me that he couldn't taste rum at all (!). He has never drunk it either, so perhaps neither of us are the right people to be proffering opinions on rum-related flavours. I can attest that, as with all vegan cupcakes, these are light and fluffy and sweet.


Easter these days may not be the Easter of my childhood memories, but I am very grateful to have it just as it is.

Roast peppers with currants and pine nuts
Makes 8 to 10 pepper halves
Vegan


Ingredients
4 to 5 green and red peppers, cut in half length-ways and seeds removed
Oil, for cooking
1 onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 zucchini, diced
1/4 cup currants
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 1/2 cups rice
2 1/2 cups vegetable stock (either pre-prepared or made using a stock cube)
1 bunch basil, chopped
Black pepper, a few cracks

Method
Preheat your oven to 200'C and place the halved peppers in a baking tray. Spray or brush with oil and bake for 15 - 20 minutes, until softened. 

Meanwhile, saute the onion in a large saucepan until soft. Add the carrot and zucchini, reduce heat to low, and stir regularly until the vegetables are just starting to soften. Set aside when ready.

While the vegetables are cooking, place the rice and vegetable stock in a separate saucepan, cover, and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 12 - 15 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed.

When Steps 1 through 3 are complete, combine the rice and vegetables and add the currants and pine nuts. Add the chopped basil and black pepper and stir through. 

Spoon the rice mixture into the pepper halves. Bake for 30 - 40 minutes, covering with foil after 15 - 20 minutes.


Rum and raisin cupcakes with vanilla frosting
Adapted from the rum and raisin cupcakes in Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
Makes 12 cupcakes
Vegan


Ingredients
For the cupcakes
Set one -
2/3 cup raisins
2 tsp rum extract
1 tbsp water

Set two -
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 cup minus 1 tsp soy milk

Set three -
1/4 cup oil
3/4 cup white sugar
1 tbsp molasses
1 tsp rum extract
1 tsp vanilla extract

Set four -
1 1/4 cups plain flour
2 tbsp cornstarch
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
Pinch salt

For the icing
2 tbsp non-dairy spread (I used Nuttelex)
1 1/2 cups icing sugar
1 tbsp vanilla
1 tbsp soy milk

Method
Ingredient set one: Soak the raisins in the rum extract and water, for approximately 30 minutes.

While the raisins are soaking, pre-heat your oven to 170'C and line a 12-pan muffin tray with cupcake liners.

Ingredient set two: Place the apple cider vinegar in a measuring cup and top up with soy milk. Set aside to curdle.

Ingredient set three: Combine the oil, sugar, molasses and extracts in a large measuring bowl and stir to combine. Add the curdled vinegar / soy milk.

Ingredient set four: Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture. Stir to just combine. 

Transfer batter to the prepared baking tray and bake for 18 - 20 minutes, until just golden and the tops spring back when touched. Allow to cool in the pan for 2 - 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.

When completely cool, make the icing by beating together the non-dairy spread and icing sugar, then adding the vanilla and soy milk and beating until light and fluffy. Pipe over the cupcakes.


I am sending the stuffed peppers to Ricki's Wellness Weekend 4th to 8th April 2013.

Do you do much cooking with (or drinking of!) rum?
And what did you get up to for Easter Sunday?

32 comments:

  1. I love your photo collages - it all looks very colourful and the cupcakes seem very beautiful to me. I am not sure about the rum and raisin flavour - I am not a rum drinker but I find that rum gives flavour enhancement rather than a strong flavour when I have cooked with it. The stuffed peppers sound delicious and I love the sound of the meal. We never had easter egg hunts as a child but this year and last year it was held for Sylvia and her cousins - in fact it was a highlight for her so her easter seems different to my childhood ones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The idea of rum giving flavour enhancement rather than a strong flavour might explain Mr B struggling to pick up on it...I think I'll have to experiment more (and I still have most of the extract bottle!) to get my head around it. I imagine having a child of your own makes those changes in tradition over time even more notable - I am glad she has introduced you to egg hunts as I think they are great!

      Delete
  2. Happy Easter! Even if you are not sure about the rum and raisin cup cakes they looks great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cara - and happy Easter to you too!

      Delete
  3. It looks like a wonderful meal. I should experiment more with stuffed veges. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So should I, in truth - I rarely branch beyond peppers!

      Delete
  4. Looks like a delicious Easter! Next time, invite me over. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. we've started having super simple low-key easters also and they are actually a lot of fun! Those rum raisin cupcakes look absolutely delicious!! Totally my kind of sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think low-key is definitely underrated sometimes! Glad you like the look of the cupcakes :)

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful Easter! I know what you mean. Growing up, it seems almost every holiday was a big thing. It is still lovely now, but I think when we have kids it will be so much more exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Children do have the ability to up the excitement quota for just about anything (also the mess and noise quota, not to put you off having them or anything!).

      Delete

  7. I've never had luck with rum cooking or baking. I had a rum ball fail one year and never tried again. But all of this sounds amazing. Looks like a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, rum balls! That's what I should do with the rest of the extract :-) I've never tried making them.

      Delete
  8. Looks like you had a great Easter! I also miss the old Easters, but fortunately for me, I have my younger siblings and cousins to hang out with when I do make it home. They always make it more exciting, and it reminds me of when I was younger. Everything looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Younger siblings are great like that :) I hope your Easter was enjoyable without your family this year (if I'm remembering correctly) - hopefully you can see them again soon.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! It was. I am going home for a best friend's wedding in a few weeks, so I'm super excited about that. :)

      Delete
  9. Your childhood Easters sound so lovely. Ours were similar but we were also taken to church where everyone stood around saying, 'Christ is Risen' on the way in and on the way out of church. I was always so relieved that Jesus was finally off that cross! We then had a roast too, usually lamb and we had it with all the family gathered. I try to do the same with my family although the young adults are difficult to lead into church so I just shout at them, 'Christ is Risen' - they get the idea! Love your roasted feast and I think your cupcakes look gorgeous xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am giggling at the thought of you rounding your three up with shouts of 'Christ is Risen'! I too was always glad that Jesus made it off the cross on Easter Sunday (we weren't a big church going family but we learned about the 'proper' background to Easter) and always felt that the time between Friday and Sunday would be very long with nails in your feet and hands.

      I hope you had a great day yourself Charlie!

      Delete
  10. Mum always organised a huge easter egg hunt for us but never remembered to count the eggs and was quite good at hiding them so inevitably several months later a couch cushion would be moved to reveal a small stash. These days we laze about reading, playing board games and eating fantastic meals. The one you prepared for your family looks just lovely.

    And no, rum is not my kind of thing either, it just isn't a taste that works for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The years my Dad did the hiding, he always hid far too well and also forgot to count and so we had similar experiences :-) My Mum was less sneaky and also tended to take a count first! Your current day lazy Easters sound perfect.

      Delete
  11. My Mother used to make a rum tart but these days she uses rum essence (eeewww) but I must admit to not really tasting anything too much. Love those stuffed peppers though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think stuffed peppers are definitely safer than rum, on all levels ;)

      Delete
  12. Yum! Those cupcakes look amazing! Easter has always been a very church-centric holiday for my family and honestly it wasn't all too exciting for the past few years, but with my nieces being born, it is starting to get fun again since they like to hunt for eggs and candy is more magical!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Children do make a big difference :-) I hope you had a great day this year Kate!

      Delete
  13. Where has the rum gone?!

    Oh, Johnny.

    So, this could only have been worse in my mind if there was devilfruit involved. Hard liquor! Squidgy raisins! Weirdly squidgyPLUScrunchy currants! Ick pine nuts!

    At least the roasted veggies sounds marvellous. Oh, wait, I totally did drink some spiced rum in Cedar last year. But it was done in shots so I didn't have to taste it...

    I'm rambling. Happy Easter! I've still never done the traditional egg hunt, and we barely got any chocolate as kids (one bilby and a few eggs, usually), so it's always been a family day for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Laughs* I'd have just set you up in a corner with a big bowl of roast vegetables and a steady supply of tahini chocolate eggs...far away from the rum (and not even rum, rum extract!) cupcakes and currant/pine nut dangers :-)

      Delete
    2. IT'S A SCARY WORLD OUT THERE.

      Delete
  14. Those cupcakes look way too good, I would love to make them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like them if you doo Natalie :)

      Delete
  15. I'm exactly the same with entertaining! I like to have things like curries or lasagnas precooked so they only need reheating in the oven. Your stuffed peppers look really nice, I love stuffed peppers more than any other vegetable.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).