Sunday, May 25, 2014

Carrot cake porridge, for autumn

Autumn (fall) has always been my favourite season. It isn't as dramatic in Western Australia as it can be elsewhere, because our native trees aren't deciduous and the weather isn't cold enough to give really bright foliage colour. However, I still find it beautiful. I also love the shift from long hot summer days to cool crisp nights that are set against a generous scattering of mild sunny days. When it isn't sunny, grey drizzle provides an excuse for cozy hours indoors with tea and books. 

Autumn leaves

With the cooler weather, I also renew my love affair with warming foods. I find it is too hot for porridge in Australian summer, but at this time of year, I welcome its ability to warm you from the inside out.

Carrot cake porridge


This carrot cake porridge will definitely warm you up. It is comfort food at its best, and apple and currants complement the carrot to give a sweet but nutritious breakfast. It doesn't need to be limited to breakfast either. Yesterday I had it for lunch!

Carrot cake porridge
A satisfying meal that delivers slow release energy with plenty of flavour
Makes one generous serve
Vegan

Author: Bite-Sized Thoughts, but with a nod to the many other similar recipes out there


Ingredients
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 large carrot, grated (equal to approximately 1 cup grated carrot)
1 small apple, diced
1 tbsp currants
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon or mixed spice
1/2 cup non-dairy milk of choice (I used unsweetened vanilla almond)
1/2 - 1 cup water, to taste (less will give a thicker porridge)

Method
Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and heat over medium-high heat, covered, for approximately 5 minutes, stirring regularly. Remove the lid and cook on low heat for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, or until the porridge has thickened up.


What do you like about autumn?

16 comments:

  1. I made carrot cake porridge yesterday! I make it almost exactly the same way as you but I always add toppings too ;)
    I love Autumn too but am happy that summer is coming here. It's vanished temporarily but hopefully it will be back shortly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent timing! I hope your summer does return - much as I love autumn, I'm rather pleased to be entering the UK climate during your summer, and we hope to be across in a few weeks now :)

      Delete
  2. We have very boring porridge here - and E makes it all year round so I try to eat it when I can - but if it was just me making it I would love to try different flavours like this. I must also protest that the autumn leaves in Melbourne can be lovely but it does seem we get cooler weather than in Perth which might make a difference - and we have a few avenues of elm trees and other european trees that I love to see in autumn - actually we have had a few fun times in the park with amazingly huge piles of autumn leaves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, perhaps I am being unfair to Australia - I shall update this to refer to poor autumn colour in WA! It is possible I have never been to Melbourne in autumn, so hopefully I can visit then in the future to experience your leaves.

      Delete
  3. Yum, that looks delish! I love porridge/oatmeal variations, especially when they are modeled after desserts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have seen through my pretense at breakfast - dessert flavours find their way into so many of my dishes!

      Delete
  4. I normally enjoy porridge in winter but so far the weather hasn't been cold enough for me to even think about it. I love the sound of eating carrot cake in my porridge! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a fun way to start the day! I'm glad your weather is still mild too.

      Delete
  5. so interesting! I had currants in my porridge this weekend - a great addition :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm I've been loving tropical fruits lately since it's warm here anyway, but autumn flavors never get old! I so want to visit Australia someday, I just can't wait! :D It sounds like your climate is not too different from socal...or is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we're probably very similar actually :-)

      Delete
  7. That sounds so delicious - I eat porridge nearly every day so this would be a good one to add to the repertoire. I like the colours of autumn but not much else - I hate the cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I suspect your autumn is a lot colder than here in Perth :P

      Delete
  8. What a fantastic idea . Carrot cake porridge. looking forward to a bit of cool weather so i can try it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmmm i love adding carrot to porridge - it really does work well :-)

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).