Friday, May 9, 2014

High protein banana cinnamon pudding

As some of you gathered from my Facebook page, I was waylaid by illness this week. It has been a while since I've been really sick, and whilst this was short lived, it was sufficient to wipe me out for a while.

Fortunately I am feeling much better now, and am pleased to share this easy recipe I made a few weeks ago.


Bananas and I usually get on best in frozen banana soft serve form, so this was an unusual dish for me to make. Not only that, I'm not a huge fan of puddings either. I guess taste buds operate on whim, and on the day in question, this was what I wanted!

The 'high protein' component to this dish is (wait for it!) chickpeas. I think I was inspired by the banana-chickpea filling of my coconut banana chocolate truffles. I know it sounds odd, but chickpeas and banana seem to be surprisingly good friends. I have never been able to whole-heartedly endorse chocolate flavoured chickpea puddings or butters, which to me taste bean-y and require some getting used to. In this, though, you can't taste the chickpeas.


If you're still not convinced? Follow my lead and add a sprinkle of chocolate chips. They make everything better.

High protein banana cinnamon pudding
This recipe may look unusual, but the ingredients get on surprisingly well!
Vegan, low fat and serves one

Food processor required

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1 cup cooked chickpeas
1 large banana
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
Chocolate chips of choice, optional but recommended

Method
Combine the chickpeas, banana, vanilla and cinnamon in a food processor and process until smooth.

Stir through the chocolate chips, and serve immediately or after chilling in the fridge for 30 to 60 minutes.


Submitted to Healthy Vegan Fridays.

 Are you a banana fan? How about pudding desserts?

18 comments:

  1. That sounds strange, but actually really good. Like sweet hummus I guess? It has to be good if there's chocolate chips in it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better, my dear friend! I am a HUGE banana fan, but I had never thought of the chickpea + banana combo. Now I'm wondering, "why haven't I?" Chickpeas seem to go with everything! I'm not a fan of puddings either but like you said, who knows what my tastebuds may crave next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tastebuds are unpredictable, aren't they?! And thanks so much Min :)

      Delete
  3. Happy to hear you're feeling better Kari :)
    I've used beans/chickpeas in cookie dough-like dips but not in a pudding. This one looks like a great protein-rich snack for when you need something sweet and perfect for when I have a stray cup of chickpeas in the fridge as I often do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know about those stray cups too ;) And thank you Emma, I am so glad to be feeling better. My appetite is still lagging though which is very odd for me!

      Delete
  4. Glad you're feeling better! I like chickpeas in sweet dishes but only like it if I can blend long enough so texture is completely smooth! Have you tried sweet peanut butter hommus dip? That's quite nice, although Sylvia turned her nose up at it unfortunately :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I haven't, but I am sure I'd like it! Sylvia could have given me her share ;)

      Delete
  5. This would be totally new for me but it does sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was new for me too, don't worry - one of the odder things to come out of my kitchen of late, but thankfully odd can also be good ;)

      Delete
  6. Maybe I'm strange because it doesn't sound too strange to me! I figure if black beans can make great brownies and whitebeans can make great cookies then there's no reason why chickpeas can't make great pudding!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent - I'm glad to have a friend in chickpea puddings! ;)

      Delete
  7. Love the look of this recipe. Anything I can sub the bananas out for? I really hate bananas but at the same time I want to love them. They are so common in veggie and vegan recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your pain - I get sick of bananas really easily! I imagine you could try this with berries? It would be different of course, but probably really nice!

      Delete
  8. I'm so pleased to hear you're feeling better. This is a lovely looking dessert. I've never tried the banana and chickpea combination but would love to. I think the chocolate chips finish this off beautifully xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting recipe. the pudding looks nice and creamy. I would give it a whirl.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).