Thursday, February 27, 2014

Thai coleslaw with mango

Another month, another cabbage dish! In truth, my vegetable box deliveries gave me a break from cabbage for a while. I was almost starting to want another cabbage to appear...and then one did, and I was reminded of just how large they are, and just how much fridge space they take up.

Happily, I found a way to put this particular cabbage to good use. It was so good, in fact, that Mr Bite labelled the dinner when this appeared "11 out of 10". Definitely a win.


This salad differs from my previous Asian-inspired salads in two main ways. For one, it has a peanut butter-based sauce. That makes everything better. For two, it has mango. That also makes everything better. The result is, well, better. Or alternatively phrased, really good.

I have been enjoying this with tofu, but it is a surprisingly versatile dish. Mr Bite has had it with chicken and a baked potato (unorthodox but apparently great!) and, on a different night, with fish. It could just be served plain with a sprinkle of additional nuts, or in a wrap, or with rice noodles. It is beautifully bright however it is served.


Thai coleslaw with mango
A delicious side for up to 8, or main dish for approximately 3
Vegan and gluten free

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1 whole cabbage, chopped into thin strips
1 medium carrot, sliced into batons
1 small red pepper, sliced
1 small mango, sliced

2 tbsp peanut butter
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce (or, 1 tsp chilli sauce, 1 tsp sweetener and 1 tsp water)
2 tbsp water
1 small bunch coriander, roughly chopped

Method
Combine the cabbage, carrot, pepper and mango in a large salad bowl. 

In a small bowl or jug, whisk together the peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, chilli sauce and water. Pour over the cabbage salad and mix through to distribute. Add the chopped coriander and mix through to distribute.


Submitted to Healthy Vegan Fridays.

What bright meal are you enjoying this week?

21 comments:

  1. that meal looks like you are still having a lot of hot days - ours have waned thankfully and it is stew tonight with lots of lovely leftovers (just cleaned out the crisper in the fridge with this stew - about time) - I can't say I am likely to make this - never seeing a mango in our house but I do love reading about ideas for cabbage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hot is correct, Johanna! We are going to welcome autumn with a string of temperatures in the high 30's, to my dismay. However, we did have an overnight minimum of 15'C this week, which was lovely...

      Are mangoes not common because you don't think to buy them, or because you don't like them? I really love them but find them quite messy to cut up and eat so sometimes do overlook them for 'neater' fruit.

      Delete
    2. I've never understood the mango madness that takes over people when they are in season - I always put it down to all the cheap orange and mango drinks we had as kids but maybe it is just not my thing. I do know others who just love them. Sorry to hear about your hot weather continuing - we had been having lovely days in the 20s and have a couple of early 30s days coming up but it is bareable

      Delete
    3. I am the same with avocado so do understand not getting some trends / loves :-)

      20'C weather sounds delightful! I'm sure we must have some coming eventually but it's yet to appear on the weather forecasts.

      Delete
  2. This looks devine - I do love mangoes and I am sad that they are on their way out for another year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. And all summer fruit for that matter!

      Delete
  3. Delish! I think I've already professed my love of slaws and you're right that a peanut sauce can only make one better, and mango even more yummy.
    I only have a teeny fridge so I usually can only have leafy greens or cabbage at any one time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely relate to a teeny fridge! Mine is medium rather than teeny but the space still goes far too fast!

      Delete
  4. My fridge is so small I have to cram most cabbages in! As a result they have to be used almost the moment I buy them. So more cabbage recipes are always appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how delicious!
    I used to love getting a fruit and vege box delivered because you never quite knew what you were going to get and it made me eat things I wouldn't have thought about otherwise. What a great recipe, the flavours would be so delicious together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the reasons I love my veggie box - the variety! Otherwise I would just buy carrots, broccoli, capsicums, and spinach / kale :P

      Delete
  6. A peanut butter based dressing? I like the sound of that!! Plus I love cabbages and mangoes...so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. sounds lovely Kari. The cabbage does come up frequently at the moment doesn't it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a ubiquitous vegetable, the cabbage ;)

      Delete
  8. I love mangoes in salads. This is a beautiful looking salad; it has great colour. I love how this has peanut butter in it and what a great way to use up a cabbage xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie - I was rather delighted to think of a new way to get through cabbage!

      Delete
  9. You had me at mango, but then you added peanut sauce and I will not be able to get this out of my head now! Love all of the things about this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does have a Queensland feel about it - I hope you enjoy it if you make it!

      Delete
  10. This looks awesome. Unfortunately mangoes never last long enough in our place to become salad!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).