Thursday, June 30, 2016

20 vegan friendly (and everybody friendly) picnic ideas

The first week of English summer has not been very summery. I know this sounds like a stereotypical British claim, but we really have had some remarkably wet and stormy days, complete with associated rail and road disruptions. Before summer, though, Mr Bite and I took advantage of sunny spring weather to have some low key picnics in nearby parks and nature reserves.


My recent picnic efforts have been simple - usually rolls with hummus and salad, plus some accompanying items like biscuits or fruit. However, I idly searched 'picnic ideas' online the other day and was impressed by the variety of options I found. So, I thought I'd share a round-up inspiration post. If it's summery where you are, take advantage of it. If it isn't? You can always embrace picnics in cars, under shelters, or on the floor in your living room...

Picnic ideas from elsewhere

Savoury

Baby kale salad with oranges, blueberries and pomegranate seeds (Hello Glow) - Salad with three types of fruit is my kind of salad!

Caprese sandwiches with garlic cashew cheese (Oh My Veggies) - I've never tried nut-based cheeses but these sandwiches have me intrigued.

Coconut roasted edamame (BBC Good Food) - A brilliant idea for edamame that I'm sure would work served cold as well as hot.

Curried tofu salad sandwiches (The kitchn) - A vegan twist on curried egg sandwiches.

Fruit and nut butternut squash quinoa (BBC Good Food) - I love the sound of the ingredient list (butternut squash, quinoa, dried apricots, pistachios, almonds and tahini).

Jamaican jerk tempeh wraps (The Taste Space) - The name says it all!

Southwest hummus wraps (Chef in Training) - These Mexican inspired wraps take hummus to a whole different level.

Eggplant pasta salad (Real Simple) - A summer-friendly cold pasta dish

Sweet

Fruit and nut chocolate truffle slice (Mouthwatering Vegan) - This looks like a mix between fruit and nut chocolate, a tiffin slice, and chocolate truffle filling. 

Raspberry sponge tray bake (BBC Good Food) - Like a vegan Bakewell slice, which can only be good.

Grilled nectarine and pumpkin salad

Picnic ideas on Bite-Sized Thoughts

Savoury


Asian-inspired chickpea salad - An Asian-style coleslaw salad with plenty of sauce and chickpeas.

Avocado scones with hemp seeds - Enjoyable plain or with fillings / dips.

Bahn mi sandwich - A tofu-based Vietnamese classic.

Gado gado salad - Lots of vegetables and lots of satay sauce.


Grilled nectarine and pumpkin salad - I think this is one of the most beautiful salads I've made.

Nutty super wholefoods salad - A homemade version of the M&S salad of the same name.

Sweet

Blackberry and chia seed muffins - Made with one bowl and studded with sweet berry flavour.

Cardamom and ginger spiced biscuits (cookies) - My favourite biscuit / cookie recipe!


What are your favourite picnic dishes?

14 comments:

  1. I've had many a picnic in the car and often South Asian style with samosas and pakoras/onions bhaji's! I love your picnic suggestion ideas, your ban mi sandwich is calling my name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of a car picnic in Welsh weather with South Asian food :-)

      Delete
  2. There's some great picnic ideas here - or for any time. The year I lived in London, it was warm for 3 weeks in August and that was it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are some incredibly great ideas here you'll be set for the whole summer . The weather is no longer how you'd expect it to be. Looking forward to your take on a few of these Kari

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend to do hummus with vegie sticks and rice crackers as a picnic (or lunch) fallback! I love your ideas - though it is not at all picnic weather lately. I quite fancy the curried tofu sandwich and also was interested to return to your M&S salad and realise I have tasted it while in Scotland since you posted the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes - I had forgotten that too. Hummus, veggie sticks and rice crackers is a great fall back.

      Delete
  5. I love that you have put together this list - I am going to give some of them a try. I keep meaning to do some tofu sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dannii - I hope you enjoy whatever you test out!

      Delete
  6. Ah this post is so cute! What a great idea =) Definitely motivating me to get out and picnic.
    I'm very fortunate to have picnic-ready weather basically all year 'round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely take advantage of it!

      Delete
  7. What a cracking round-up! I love picnics, mainly because I get to spend lots of time planning what to cook and eat! The caprese sandwiches are calling to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the planning phase too - half the fun!

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).