Thursday, July 2, 2015

In My Kitchen - July 2015

I am linking this in to Celia's monthly In My Kitchen event at Fig Jam and Lime Cordial.

In my kitchen last month, I mentioned signs of summer. In my kitchen this month, summer is here with a vengeance and it is currently too hot to cook. London registered the hottest July day ever yesterday (36.7'C / 98'F) and with no air conditioning at home or at work it has been a sweltering few days. I thought I was leaving such heat behind in Western Australia!

So, my kitchen is not producing many hot dishes. I am enjoying lots of soda water with lemon and fresh mint, plucked from my windowsill, and lots of salads and ice cream.

Prolific mint

I am also enjoying more dairy-free products from Tesco. Layered yoghurt pots are the latest addition to their 'free from' dessert range.


These have a sweet fruit layer at the bottom and a surprisingly thick yoghurt layer above. I am really enjoying them as a dessert-worthy alternative to plain yoghurtsl


I am also enjoying - wait for it! - my beloved Sakata roast tomato and balsamic rice crackers. These were my favourite of Australia's small flavoured rice crackers, and my parents kindly brought over two packets.



The UK does do large chocolate covered rice cakes well, and the Nature's Store dark chocolate orange version is a favourite. I never see this variety in supermarkets, but it is usually available to buy online when we do our 4-6 weekly online supermarket order.



In my kitchen, I have moved on from summer berries to peaches, nectarines and melon. I should note that I still like berries just as much, but my local market stalls are now selling fewer berries and more stone fruit. The peaches (not pictured, as I ate them all!) have been particularly delicious.


In my kitchen, there have been roses from our downstairs front garden. Technically that land is shared, but our downstairs neighbour tends to it, so I always feel slightly guilty if I pick a flower. I usually wait until he's out before appropriating one! As the picture below shows, there are currently plenty available.

Summer flowers (and my bike)

What is happening in your kitchen this month?

28 comments:

  1. This month, NOT TOO MUCH is happening in the kitchen because I am going to be traveling a LOT! I will certainly MISS being in my kitchen, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine you'll enjoy the travel though!

      Delete
  2. I didn't know that Tesco did dairy free yoghurt with fruit in it, I am going to have to buy some of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do! I really like them :-) They might have other flavours too.

      Delete
  3. I have major summer fruit envy. Lovely IMK post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at those roses! So gorgeous. I can't believe I haven't had any stone fruit yet this year. I'm heading to the Farmer's market in the morning and am hoping there will be lots of cherries :D
    In my kitchen this month...coconut water galore (so refreshing in this heat), smoothies, homemade pesto & almost exclusively no-cook meals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had so many cherries - you need to catch up ;)

      Your kitchen sounds perfect for the summer heat. I am oddly lacking in smoothie enthusiasm at present but I am sure I'll be back into them soon!

      Delete
  5. I am looking at your mint on the windowsill and thinking it might be a good idea for my basil - something stripped all the leaves off the last lot in my balcony box and I have had to start again. I also like the idea of ordering groceries online because I hate grocery shopping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow - I didn't know there were foodies who hated grocery shopping! I love it, but admittedly not the carrying everything home by bike bit :P

      Delete
  6. I have been thinking of you in that heatwave. I had a summer holiday in London once and there was a heatwave and I found it quite oppressive because it was very difficult to escape the heat. So few shops and office buildings and homes have air-conditioning so it's difficult to get relief. A bit like how so few homes in Sydney have adequate heating for the winter! I don't know why I have never been aware of that flavour of Sakatas! I love the flowers and how wonderful that someone tends to the gardening and does all that for you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so appreciate your heat empathy! They really aren't prepared for heat here - just like, as you say, Australia is always under-prepared for cold!

      I really recommend the Sakata flavour, I love it!

      Delete
  7. Looks like you're finding some tasty vegan options over there :-)
    I would trade you in a second for your 37degree day. Our winter is so so cold here atm. Can't wait for it to be OVER!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, we're never happy with weather are we :-)

      Delete
  8. Wonderful to hear summer musings, but not so good when the weather is so darn hot! Hoping it cools off a little for you soon, Kirsty

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm still eating summer berries over here, but am moving onto stone fruits next week! It's time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A heat wave in the uk is quite uncomfortable given that the buildings aren't built for such weather, esp if your flat is upstairs. Glad to hear you have nice fruit and yoghurts to get you through. I've never tried that flavour of sakata - sylvia loves the seaweed but I must look it out. Stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely look out for it - I'd love to know how you find it as it's my clear favourite :-) And thanks for the heat well wishes, fortunately today it is 20'C ish and rainy so I'm much happier!

      Delete
  11. Kari, it's so great to be enjoying plums and peaches and melons now. Perfectly refreshing on those hot days we are having right now in the UK. Gorgeous flowers your neighbour has grown, you must enjoy looking at them very much

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have quite a few friends in the UK this month and they have all talked about the amazingly hot weather. I think they’ll be happy to get home! And who would have thought that the humble rice cracker wouldn’t have made its way to the UK? Glad you could get your fix.

    Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad too! And yes, the hot weather really is HOT at present (although in saying that, it has cooled down :) ).

      Delete
  13. I love your summer flowers and please...I do hope you laugh with me as I would like to shop at Tesco's just once as seems like such a fun place to get really good food bargains!
    Thanks for this month's kitchen view also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never laugh! I am always keen for new supermarket exploration :-)

      Delete
  14. That is hot! We don't have air conditioning either and those scorching days are miserable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! They do make the cooler temperatures delightful at least.

      Delete
  15. Your soda water concoction sounds perfect for summer! The melon and stone fruit make me jealous - I'm getting a tad tired of pears and apples and citrus, although as I type there is an apple crumble in the oven which does smell divine. We are about to have a super cold snap here (they predict parts of QLD may get snow for the first time in 20 years!) so I'm envious of your hot weather (I suspect the feeling will be mutual) :)

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).