Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Gingerbread truffle balls (vegan and high raw)

I'm not quite sure how it happened, but...it's been 5 months since my last truffle ball recipe.

Fortunately, today's post goes some way towards making up for lost time. In fact, these might be my new favourite truffle balls. How can I not love something that is so easy to make and yet tastes so very much like gingerbread?

In addition to ginger, these balls have a subtle kick of maple syrup. It's a pretty wonderful combination. I also used raisins instead of dates, a swap that softened the flavour slightly and allowed the spices to dominate.


These are best if allowed to chill before eating, but I can attest that the mixture is also rather good if eaten straight out of your food processor. I'd almost say that the refrigeration is optional. As you can tell from my pictures, making your balls equal in size is also optional. Celebrate variation...and the thrill of getting the biggest piece on the plate!

Gingerbread truffle balls
Magic in a ball.
Vegan and high raw.
Makes 20 small balls.
Food processor or high-speed blender required.
Ingredients
1/2 cup raw almonds
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp dried ginger
1/2 tsp mixed spice
Method
Place the almonds, raisins and rolled oats in your food processor and pulse until crumbly and well combined. Add the remaining ingredients and process until the mixture is starting to clump together (add a drizzle of water if needed).
Roll mixture into small balls and refrigerate for 2-4 hours, if you can wait that long.

Everyone the same? Not on this plate!

Submitted to Ricki's Wellness Weekend 1st to 5th August 2013.


Do you ever surprise yourself with an unexpected break from foods you enjoy?

31 comments:

  1. hurrah for variation and truffles and gingerbread flavour! sounds good to me

    btw - what does high raw mean - is this a category of raw foods?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit of a funny phase, isn't it? I discovered it via the blog world myself, and it really just means something is nearly raw but not quite. Some people use it to describe their dietary approach - they eat mostly raw but not completely - and it can be applied to recipes like this that would be raw if it wasn't for one thing (in my case, oats) :-)

      Delete
    2. oh I thought it meant this was like raw royalty - more raw than raw! glad you enlightened me

      Delete
    3. I like your first guess more! Raw royalty sounds excellent :-)

      Delete
  2. Ginger is one of my favourite things, so I know I'd love these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love ginger too - I can't believe it too me so long to put it in a truffle ball!

      Delete
  3. Love the flavorings here - they look delicious :) Happy to follow you
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for explaining high raw. I'm so uneducated about the whole raw thing. One thing I do know is how much I like gingerbread! I'd be in on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the gingerbread component is much more important than the raw/high raw component, so you're in luck :-)

      Delete
  5. I like the sound of the ginger and mixed spice in them. Does Mr B like your truffle balls? Given that both of our husbands can be picky with nuts I'm interested to know if he likes them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid he does not! The only ones he likes are the ones with processed Nice biscuits and vegan cream cheese - he thinks they're great, but these sort with nuts and dried fruit are labelled "health balls" and "nutty" and both of those things are turn offs in his world!

      Delete
  6. Mmm, this reminds me I need to make my pain d'epice truffles now I'm back with my food processor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being reunited with your food processor must go a good way to making Canada feel like home?

      Delete
    2. Nah. But seeing my beloveds again does.

      Delete
    3. I guess in the scheme of things, they are more important than food processing :-)

      Delete
  7. I love gingerbread almost as much as the flavor of pumpkin. I might need to try this recipe for Christmas time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely be making them again at Christmas :-)

      Delete
  8. I think these would be very nice with the ginger - a great recipe to bring out at Christmas time. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, when I made them Christmas didn't even occur to me - but now I am agreeing with your thoughts and others and think they would be perfect then (but also now!).

      Delete
  9. Ginger is one of my favorite flavors of all time so I could totally see this being my favorite truffle ball of all time as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe it took me so long to make a ginger version!

      Delete
  10. Once again you've given me a reason to invest in a new proper food processor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is definitely my biggest but most loved kitchen appliance :)

      Delete
  11. Hehehe I always make my ball different sizes! Small ones for when I want a little something sweet without the heaviness, the big ones for when I'm feeling decadent ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'll adopt that approach and then I can claim my irregularities are deliberate!

      Delete
  12. any of these fruit ball snacks are great! love the idea of adding ginger :-) will def try these!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They DO sound like magic in a ball! And my suggestion is not to ever go 5 months without creating a delicious ball recipe again! They're so good!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly plan never to repeat that error!

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).