Sunday, May 22, 2016

Teriyaki tofu noodle bowls

I forecast more noodle bowl posts when I shared my orange-maple-ginger soba noodles two weeks ago. Here is the follow-through! This teriyaki tofu mix is easy, tasty, and was enjoyed by Mr Bite as well as myself.



The teriyaki sauce here is light rather than heavy. By this I mean it isn't thick and sticky, but also that the flavours are subtle rather than dominant. They are just sufficient to marinate the tofu and flavour the vegetables and noodles.

I used bok choy (Chinese cabbage) in the vegetable mix, which I love but also go through phases with - mostly because it is more expensive in the UK than Australia and I miss being able to buy it in large volumes for under $1. It is hardly expensive here though and definitely worth adding to your vegetable selection. The same applies to baby corn, which is perfect in these bowls. There are a lot of vegetables in this and it will deliver a good dose of your daily requirements. However, bok choy reduces when cooking so the final quantity will be less than it looks like when you start cooking (at which point it will look like far too much).


Teriyaki tofu noodle bowls
An easy bowl-based meal to serve 2
Vegan

Author: Bite-sized thoughts

Print recipe

Ingredients
1-inch piece fresh ginger, grated
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1-1/2 tbsp agave syrup or rice malt syrup
1-1/2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp water
1/2 - 1 tsp sesame oil
250g firm tofu, pressed and cut into small squares
1 small brown onion, chopped
1 bunch bok choy (Chinese cabbage), tough ends removed and roughly chopped
1 pack baby corn (approx. 8 pieces), roughly chopped
Approximately 1/2 cup button mushrooms, sliced
1 small red pepper, sliced
1 bunch (approximately 80g) soba noodles or noodles of choice to serve 2

Method
Combine the grated ginger, crushed garlic, agave/rice malt syrup, soy sauce and water in a small bowl or jug and whisk to combine. 

Heat the sesame oil in a non-stick pan and, when hot, add the tofu pieces. Stir fry over high heat for several minutes on each side, until just golden brown. Add the chopped onion to the pan along with a tablespoon or so of the teriyaki sauce mixture. Reduce heat to medium and cook for a further 5 or so minutes, until the onion is soft and golden.

Add the bok choy, corn, mushrooms and pepper to the pan with approximately half of the remaining teriyaki sauce. Reduce heat to low and allow to cook for 15 or so minutes, stirring regularly.

Cook the noodles according to packet instructions and then add to your pan along with the remaining teriyaki sauce. Mix well and serve.



What easy meals are you enjoying at the moment?

13 comments:

  1. Yum, this looks amazing - better than the tofu stir fry I made on the weekend and won't be posting. Bok choy is dear at my supermarket too - $2.50 a bunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's a lot more than I remember paying. I wonder if Perth had cheap bok choy or if prices have increased since I left!

      Delete
  2. I am teriyki obsessed, as it can seriously bring a meal to life. It goes so well with tofu too, doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love teriyaki but have never quite got into bok choy so am not sure of its price here! Sounds like a lovely meal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna - it's funny how we all have our own vegetable loves.

      Delete
  4. Perfectly delicious Kari. I am teryaki obsessed too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good flavour to be obsessed with!

      Delete
  5. You forecast noodles, I forecast pasta dishes in my home. This does look good, I need to get more adventurous with Oriental and Japanese flavours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of Oriental dishes for me to venture to try out too...it's such a big cuisine option!

      Delete
  6. I love a good bowl, especially with Japanese flavours. Looks delicious - sesame oil always makes everything taste an extra bit special, I reckon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly - it definitely makes a difference using sesame!

      Delete
  7. Another great sounding bowl! I loved the orange, maple, ginger one so much, I'm sure I'll love this one too! I think I would prefer a lighter sauce, I don't like my sauce so heavy & thick. I prefer it light & subtle.
    And I LOVE bok choy =D =D

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).