Sunday, May 1, 2016

Cookie dough protein pudding cups (vegan and gluten free)

I have previously had success making desserts with chickpeas and bananas, in the form of banana-cinnamon pudding and coconut banana chocolate-coated truffles. Today's pudding cups drew inspiration from both of those recipes, as well as my chickpea-containing cookie dough truffle balls. The result was a dessert (or snack) that delivered on every front: nutrition, taste, texture and convenience.


If you haven't used chickpeas in sweet dishes before, rest assured that you can't taste them if you use a sufficient balance of other ingredients. The dominant flavours in these cups are banana, vanilla and the chocolate topping - a mix that really does resemble cookie dough, especially with the subtle tones of almond butter underneath and the smooth but thick texture the chickpeas provide. Pear is the other ingredient I used in these, and it adds extra sweetness without distracting from the flavour profile.

 
I made three pudding cups and worked out that each provided 6g of protein. That isn't a huge amount, but for an easy snack/dessert that tastes great, it's a welcome dose. Each cup also gives 5g of fat and 170 calories.

I hope you enjoy them!


Cookie dough protein pudding cups
A delicious vegan dessert or snack that consists predominantly of fruit and vegetables but tastes like cookie dough
Makes three small pudding cups
Vegan and gluten free

Food processor or high speed blender required

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1 cup cooked chickpeas
1 small banana
1 small pear
1 tbsp almond butter
1/2 tbsp vanilla essence
2 tbsp chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips

Method
Combine all ingredients except the chocolate in a food processor or high speed blender, and process until smooth.

Spoon the pudding into small cups or bowls and top with your chopped chocolate or chocolate chips. Allow to chill before serving.


Do you have any favourite desserts featuring legumes?

9 comments:

  1. That's ingenious - cookie dough pudding you can pretty much claim is a health food is a great idea! I don't think I've tried making desserts with chick peas, but I've seen them used in blondies and they sounded great. I need to put some pulses in my afters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to try them in blondies - that sounds great too!

      Delete
  2. I've never made anything sweet with chickpeas! I must give that a try. The pudding cups look gorgeous and really smooth - a great dessert xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I have never thought of using chick pea in a sweet dish! It would be packed with fibre which would keep you feel full too, great idea!
    Thanks so much for sharing
    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not likely to be making these soon as it is not the sort of pudding I make regularly but I am really intrigued at your ingredient list and would love to taste it - haven't tried chickpeas in dessert but I do love them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd offer you a spoon, but it might not translate well across the screen and air waves ;)

      Delete
  5. 6 grams of protein is actually quite a lot for a little snack like this! What a great idea sneaking in the chickpeas. The pudding sounds delightful, I will definitely be trying it out soon =)

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).