Thursday, May 26, 2016

The best vegan chocolate courgette (zucchini) cake

To claim something as the best is a big claim. It is especially grandiose when you do so without any official contest, judging or rankings! However, this cake is so good that I have allowed myself the title. I have previously shared chocolate courgette muffins, and a whole host of apple courgette baked goods, but this cake is in a category all of its own. It is moist, fudgy and rich but also light in texture. Mr Bite loved it as much as me, even after hearing it had a vegetable in it (you really can't tell).



I think the secret to the cake is middle-ground moderation. Many chocolate courgette cakes are just chocolate cakes with some added vegetable - a bonus, sure, but they are still very high in sugar and oil. Then you have the category that is sugar/oil free or very low in those ingredients. As my recipe page highlights, I'm a big fan of those made-over baked goods myself. However, sometimes I want a cake that tastes like an old-fashioned, fully-fledged, not made-over cake. This one does that. It has less sugar and oil than the recipe I adapted it from, but enough that you won't notice the reduction.


It may be my new favourite cake, and I can say with some confidence I will be making it again!

Chocolate courgette (zucchini) cake
The best vegan chocolate cake!
Makes one large square cake to serve 12
Vegan

Author: Bite-sized thoughts, adapted from the non-vegan 'Best chocolate courgette cake' on All Recipes


Ingredients
For the cake
250g plain flour
300g caster sugar
65g cocoa powder
2 tsp bicarbonate soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Egg replacer to the equivalent of 4 eggs (I used Orgran powder, but substitute flax egg / chia egg if you prefer)
125ml (1/2 cup) vegetable oil
250ml (1 cup) non-dairy milk of choice (I used unsweetened almond)
Approximately 350g / 2 medium courgettes (zucchini), grated

For the icing
220g icing sugar (powdered sugar)
30g cocoa powder
4 tbsp non-dairy spread / margarine
4 tbsp non-dairy milk of choice (I used unsweetened almond)

Method
For the cake
Preheat your oven to 180' C (355'F) and prepare a large square baking tin.

In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa, bicarbonate soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Add the egg replacer mix, oil and non-dairy milk and mix well. Fold in the courgette and then pour into the prepared tin.


Bake for 42 to 50 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. 

Cool cake completely before icing.

For the icing
Combine all icing ingredients in a large bowl. Beat with electric mixers until smooth and creamy. Spread over the cake.


Do you have a current favourite cake?

13 comments:

  1. I totally agree about moderation. It's amazing how many people think that because it has vegetables in it, you can eat as much as you want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And ditto the reverse - that you have to completely avoid foods with 'occasional' ingredients in them!

      Delete
  2. It looks like an excellent cake esp with that soft fudgy icing! And chocolate and zucchini is a great combination - I have tried the zucchini brownies from fat free vegan and they are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love a courgette chocolate cake and often make both a vegetarian and vegan version http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/vegan-courgette-chocolate-cake.html - in fact my nephew has been begging me to make some but I have said that I will wait for the courgette season. I do love your soft fudgy icing, I've covered mine in the past with vegan buttercream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waiting until the middle of courgette season is wise - I think that will give me a good excuse to make another cake :-)

      Delete
  4. This one is right up my alley - chocolate, but not too naughty. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any cake that I can use to claim contains one of my five a day sounds good to me! I've tried a couple of courgette cakes before and really enjoyed them, and I reckon a chocolate version sounds pretty special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vegetables in dessert do always seem a particular win ;)

      Delete
  6. I love how easy it is to sneak zucchini into desserts! This cake looks so yummy :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sure looks delicious! Yum! I think you can claim it as the best ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe how rich and delicious this cake looks!
    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).