Thursday, May 19, 2016

Chocolate raspberry green smoothie

Like so many things, my smoothie consumption goes through phases. I'll be obsessed for a while, then forget about them, then resume my love affair. With the warmer spring weather, I think a smoothie phase is starting up. This one was the perfect blend of nutritional benefits and delicious taste.


As the colour shows, I didn't use a vast amount of chocolate flavouring, but you definitely still taste it. I combined regular cocoa powder and cocoa-based protein powder (the same mix I mentioned earlier in the month). If you don't have protein powder, cocoa powder alone will suffice.



I also decorated this with freeze dried raspberry pieces. They added to my enjoyment because I liked the look, but obviously aren't essential. The raspberries within the drink give enough raspberry flavour.

Chocolate raspberry green smoothie
Serves one
Vegan, low in fat, gluten free

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1 cup (loosely packed) kale leaves
1/2 frozen banana
1/2 cup frozen raspberries
300ml non-dairy milk of choice (I used hazelnut)
1-1/2 tsp cocoa powder
1-1/2 tsp chocolate protein powder (or more cocoa powder)

Freeze dried raspberry pieces, optional, to serve

Method
Combine the kale, frozen banana and raspberries, milk and powders in your blender and process until smooth. Top with the freeze dried raspberry pieces on serving


What drinks are you enjoying at the moment?

7 comments:

  1. We are a bit out of smoothie habit - so I buy bananas that we don't use and then we end up with banana bread - I would love to use kale leaves but love to share smoothies with sylvia - though I did get her to eat a tiny bit of kale last night!

    I am curious about your straw - it looks like one that is not disposable - do you have a little brush to clean it - I love the idea of straws that are not disposable but worry about cleanliness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Banana bread is a tasty alternative to smoothies at any rate :-)

      It is a glass straw and I do indeed have a little brush for cleaning it - I ordered the straw and brush online although confess I can't remember the brand now. The brush is definitely needed as I would worry about cleanliness otherwise too, although I don't use the brush every single time.

      Delete
  2. Chocolate and raspberry is one of my favourite food combos, so I love that you have put it in to a green smoothie. I will be giving that a try this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dannii - chocolate raspberry is one of my favourites too :-)

      Delete
  3. I am not a smoothie person but the flavour combination here sounds terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm this sounds super refreshing & delicious. Something about kale and raspberry - it's a dynamite combo, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).