Wednesday, May 4, 2016

In my kitchen - May 2016

I am linking this in to the monthly In My Kitchen event, hosted by Maureen of The Orgasmic Chef.


In my kitchen, I can't quite believe it is May. Despite my disbelief, there are more and more signs of spring, from bought tulips (courtesy of my mother-in-law, who is with us until Friday) to bright buds on my apple tree. The weather is still quite variable, but the bright sunny spells are more frequent and longer lasting. Plus, it's going to be 23'C this weekend! That's a positive heat wave for the UK in May.


Leaving aside the weather, my kitchen also features this 'energy boost' mix of lucuma, maca, hemp and cacao. I bought it on special and enjoy adding it to cereal / porridge, yoghurt and drinks.

I have also experimented with using the powder in place of custard powder in my vegan French toast. It made for a delicious chocolate French toast, which I enjoyed with coconut-soya yoghurt (on one slice) and low-sugar syrup (on the other) and berries.


My yoghurt options have recently expanded with Alpro releasing individual soya yoghurt tubs that are thicker in texture - marketed as a vegan alternative to Greek yoghurt - and feature fruit on the bottom of the tub. I like them a lot, even if they are more expensive and sweeter than large plain yoghurt pots.


Even sweeter, but incredibly fun to discover!, are a range of new vegan ice creams. Tesco have gone all out with a Magnum-style chocolate coated vanilla ice cream (not pictured), new fruit split ice creams (middle below) and a new, toffee vanilla flavour of their ice cream cones (bottom below). Swedish Glace have also released Magnum-style chocolate coated strawberry ice creams (top below). I have a lot of ice cream to eat.


Also new, although probably a one-off purchase, is this Cheerios cinnamon oat crisp mix. 


It is basically Cheerios and oat flakes with cinnamon flavouring. I liked it, but didn't love it.


Last but not least, my kitchen has featured a batch of my easy chocolate tiffin. It's always enjoyed by Mr Bite. I didn't take a photo before the batch was part-consumed, so the image below shows the messier squares. 


On re-reading the above, my kitchen seems to be full of sweet treats and desserts! There are more mundane items too, but somehow the sweet ones pack more excitement for sharing with you.

What is happening in your kitchen this month?

24 comments:

  1. Hi Kari:)
    Thank you so much for letting us peek into your kitchen of goodies and lovely flowers. I haven't seen that flavor of Cheerios in my neck of the woods but I must say, it doesn't sound appealing. Will watch for it:)

    It's beginning to feel more Spring like in these parts too. However, I think Mother Nature may be a bit confused as those April showers decided to rain in May, lol...

    Thanks so much for sharing, Kari...I'm hoping to join IMK next Wednesday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise - I'm glad you're starting to get some more spring-like weather even if the rain isn't quite right! And I look forward to your post in time :)

      Delete
  2. Interesting to read about the heat in the UK. It's also been unseasonably warm in Japan and in the US. Whatever the reasons, the climate certainly has produced some beautiful flora for your kitchen. Nice to know about all the vegan and gluten-free treats available in the UK...Great news for our next trip =) P.s. Wonderful and yummy ways to use energy boost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and I'm glad to provide some ideas for when you're next in the UK!

      Delete
  3. We've had a warm (the warmest maybe?) autumn. Well done on the ice creams ;) The tiffin looks pretty good to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least our warm weather isn't scorching - I feel for you! You need your own set of vegan ice creams ;)

      Delete
  4. I love the flowers in your kitchen - they are beautiful and such a happy colour. I enjoy seeing food from overseas - it's interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep it has been warm here but slowly cooling - I'd love to taste the yoghurts as I have been trying vegan yoghurts and not found one I love - and I suspect I would enjoy the ice creams though not as much as the rest of the household! And the buds on the apple tree look exciting - I thought they took years to start fruiting - do the buds mean fruit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the trees took years to start fruiting too, so was surprised but very pleased by the apple tree buds! I think it will still be a while until we get actual apples, but at least it's doing something and looking pretty in the meantime.

      Delete
  6. Yes, that's a lot of ice cream. Actually, I tried lacuma in South America (I had never heard of it) and it was in the form of a very delicious if somewhat sweet ice cream. Good to see some warm weather on the way! http://www.tiffinbitesized.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  7. So excited to hear that we're going to have a warm weekend. It's about time after all the dreary rainy weekends we've had lately!
    We have a little apple tree in our garden too that's just started blossoming. It's a beautiful time of year isn't it?
    Great to see how many vegan ice cream options are now readily available. Lil' L is going to be so happy when I show him your pics! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon - I hope you're enjoying the beautiful sun and that Lil'L likes the ice creams!

      Delete
  8. I can't quite believe it's May either - how did that happen?! I love those Alpro yoghurts too - now I just need to track down those vegan splits. They look really lovely, haven't had one of those for years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't either - but they were just as good as I remembered the dairy type to be!

      Delete
  9. For me it was nice to welcome May in Cornwall, I have retuned home and catching up with some of my blog reads. the weather was surprising good whilst we were there and now that I have returned home it is really changeable - welcomed by rain of course. We have an apple tree, but its been terrible giving us blossoms but no fruit, this is its last year to perform. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, maybe our apple tree will go the same way then! At least the blossoms look pretty - I only planted ours a few months back so figure I have a few years to go before it would fruit anyway.

      Delete
  10. What a lovely mother in law to bring you such pretty tulips.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your still life with tulips is a very pretty image. I can't get excited about most of those vegan foods, though.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. we keep hoping it will drop to 23C! this has been a 7-8 month long summer and it just doesn't quit. Lucuma? that is new to me. hope you have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 7-8 months of summer is way too long. I hope the temperatures have dropped now!

      Delete
  13. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a kitchen full of sweet things. I love the sound of those toffee vanilla cones :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh I love the energy boost mix! I have some powdered lacuma in my cupboard right now and whenever I mention it to people, they have never heard of it. I'm excited that you have some as well.
    I would LOVE to find magnum-style ice cream bars around here. YUM!
    The chocolate tiffins look super delicious. Sweets are definitely more exciting than mundane things haha ;)

    I hope you had a nice visit with your mom-in-law =)

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).