Saturday, May 7, 2016

Orange-maple-ginger soba noodle bowl

Noodle bowls are something I go through phases with. They always appeal to me on restaurant menus if I'm eating out, but at home I can go for months without making them. Then, as I am wont to do, they will reach the top of my 'loving right now' list and I'll make a whole string of similar dishes close together.


I may be entering such a phase now. This orange-maple-ginger bowl is certainly worth making again - I loved the mix of flavours and that the dressing served as a tofu marinade as well as noodle sauce. I adapted the recipe from the orange-maple-miso noodle bowl in Angela's Oh She Glows cookbook. Her sauce used miso instead of soy sauce, didn't include ginger or apple cider vinegar, and had less orange juice. The vegetable / tofu components varied too - and you may want to vary them again to suit what you have to hand. It's an easy dish to customise.

I made this when my mother-in-law was visiting and it was well received by her. It was also tolerated by Mr Bite, which is as good as I can hope for when dishing him up tofu and broccoli! I found it worked equally well served hot for dinner and cold for lunch leftovers the next day. 



Orange-maple-ginger soba noodle bowl
A delicious bowl meal for 4
Vegan

Adapted from Angela Liddon's orange-maple-miso noodle bowl, in the Oh She Glows cookbook


Ingredients
1-1/2 tbsp mirin or rice wine vinegar
1-1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
Juice from 1 large orange
1/2 tbsp maple syrup
1 inch piece of ginger, grated
1-1/2 tbsp tahini
1-1/2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
350g firm tofu, pressed and cut into small squares
2 carrots, thinly sliced
1 pepper, thinly sliced
1 head broccoli, chopped into florets
Decent handful of mushrooms, sliced
2 bunches (approx. 160g) soba noodles

Method
In a bowl or jug, whisk together the mirin / rice wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, orange juice, maple syrup, grated ginger, tahini and soy sauce. Set aside.

Heat the sesame oil in a non-stick pan. When hot, add the tofu pieces and cook over medium-high heat for several minutes. Stir / flip and continue to cook until the pieces are well browned. Reduce heat to low-medium and add about one-third of the orange-maple-ginger marinade. Allow the tofu to cook for a further 5-10 minutes, until the marinade has reduced down, and then transfer to a plate. Set aside while you cook the vegetables.

Add the carrots and pepper to the same non-stick pan along with another one-third of the marinade mix. Cook over low-medium heat for 5 or so minutes, then add the broccoli and mushrooms and cook for a further 5 or so minutes.

Return the tofu to the pan with the vegetables while you cook your noodles to pack instructions (in most cases, 5 minutes in boiling water). When the noodles are cooked, combine them with the tofu and vegetables and the remaining marinade mix. 

Can be enjoyed hot or cold.


Submitted to Healthy Vegan Fridays.

Bowl / noodle meals - are they part of your life at the moment?

17 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing Kari. I love a dish that is equally good hot or cold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, this sounds great - it's full of all the kinds of things I like to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is the exact kind of noodle dish I love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's now top of my list too :-)

      Delete
  4. Sounds great - I have some noodles and some kale which I think would work with this very well - made a kale salad with similar ingredients last week so I am all set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adding kale is a great idea! I like the idea of using the sauce on a kale salad too.

      Delete
    2. I had a go at this the night I read it and loved it but I think I needed more sauce as I used more veg and noodles but definitely a great quick dish and the kale was very nice in it

      Delete
  5. Hi Kari:)
    I really need to get focused on planning some noodle bowl meals. Just look at what you have presented for us to feast our eyes on! Now, I want one too!!!

    Thank you so much for sharing this recipe and method, Kari...I better save this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh this sounds super delicious! I love maple & orange & ginger, but have never thought of combining them all together in a dish. Sounds lovely =) I LOVE noodle bowls. They are my favourite. I don't go through phases, I have at least a few a week. The best part about this bowl - my hubby will love it too =)
    Thank you so much for sharing this at Healthy Vegan Fridays - I'm featuring your recipe this week.
    I'm pinning & sharing & bookmarking!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kimmy! I'm glad you like the look of it and completely relate to the joy of finding dishes one's husband will also like ;)

      Delete
    2. I made it for supper the other night and it was super delicious!!!
      Are you on Instagram by any chance? If I post a picture of it on Instagram, I'd like to tag you =)

      Delete
    3. Sorry, I forgot to reply to this after I first saw it! I'm actually not on Instagram but thanks for asking. I am on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts/) and Twitter (@bitesizethought) :-)

      Delete
  7. I love the look of that bowl, and that you can have it hot and cold. So healthy and colourful too. I always have some soba in the cupboard, so I'll be giving this a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make such delicious bowl meals I'm sure you'll create a great adaptation!

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).