Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Rose and vanilla stewed apples

This is a recipe that barely constitutes a recipe, such is its simplicity. At the same time, it is an ingredient mix that is so simple and so delightful that I couldn't not share it with you. In effect, you stew apples with vanilla essence, rose petals and raisins. The scent will perfume your kitchen while you're cooking and the flavours will woo you while you're eating.

 


Rose is an ingredient to use cautiously, with its capacity to over-power and over-perfume. I have used dried rose petals to decorate cakes in the past and in my raspberry and rose mousse. I will add this recipe to the list of successful rose petal uses. If you don't have dried petals (and mine were bought marketed for cooking, rather than ones appropriated from a garden) you could use rose water or rose essence instead. However, as I have never used them I confess to being unsure of the appropriate quantity to achieve the same result. It is probably worth erring on the side of caution and adding more flavour to the finished product if needed, rather than over-doing it during cooking. If using rose petals as I did, the stewing time dissolves them so you aren't left with petal chunks in the end result.


I enjoyed the apples on top of porridge and on yoghurt, and they are also enjoyable plain.

Rose and vanilla stewed apples
An easy, romantic mix that smells and tastes delicious
Serves 2
Vegan, low in fat and gluten free

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
2 apples, sliced (I left my skin on but peel if you prefer peeled stewed apple slices)
1 cup water
2 tsp vanilla essence
2 tbsp raisins / sultanas / currants
2 tbsp rose petals, or rose essence or rose water to taste

Method
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan, cover, and heat over high heat until just boiling. Reduce heat to the lowest setting and allow to simmer, covered, for 35 to 45 minutes. Drain residual water. Serve hot or cold.


What is your favourite form of stewed fruit?

18 comments:

  1. wow that looks like a lot of rose petals but sounds like a really interesting idea for stewed apples - could imagine this in an apple crumble and as it is apple season here I would love to try it - I have rose petals that are embarrassingly old so perhaps I would need more rather than less petals

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rose flavour wasn't overpowering at all so if your petals are a bit faded, definitely up the quantity. An apple crumble version would be delicious too.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes it's the simple recipes that just work out the best Kari. I'm really liking this one:)

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never used rose petals in cooking and this is definitely a blogworthy recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks and sounds beautiful, I can only imagine the beautiful smells you describe. I'd probably have a go at making this, but would perhaps turn it into a crumble. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Johanna are on to a good idea with the crumble angle. I might have to try that out myself!

      Delete
    2. OOh I hadn't realised Johanna had made a similar suggestion - makes me smile, we are rather alike in the kitchen :)

      Delete
  5. Yum! I love fruit desserts, so this one sounds great to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats a nice idea Kari I will try it next time. I had plain stewed apples with maple syrup today. Not quite as good as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow - what a beautiful sounding combination. I would LOVE my kitchen to smell like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every summer I fall in love with rose all over again. It goes so well with many fruits and your stewed apples sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh it look so great Kari! I always love apples. New recipe for me, new challenge!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).