Sunday, May 15, 2016

Raw vegan bannoffee slice

This slice positions sweet, gooey banana caramel between a coconutty base and a rich, dark chocolate topping. It is delicious, satisfying and decadent. It is also made entirely from wholefood ingredients. In all, it is my kind of dessert and I liked it very much.


The slice is also an example of the whole being greater than the individual parts. Alone, the chocolate topping is a bit too dark; the banana caramel is a bit too sweet; and the base is a bit too plain. Together, thought, the layers work perfectly. This feature helps with not eating too much of the batter as you go along. It doesn't help with not eating too many slices at once!

This actually sets and stores best in the freezer, and you only need to pull it out about 5 minutes before eating (or less if you want a more ice cream-y treat). When making the slice, you can also progress through the base, banana caramel and chocolate layers using the same food processor - it doesn't matter if remnants of the previous layer make it into the next one.


Raw bannoffee slice
A delicious dessert that is raw, vegan and gluten free
Makes about 16 slices

Author: Bite-sized thoughts

Food processor required


Ingredients
For the base -
1/4 cup raw hazelnuts
1/4 cup desiccated coconut
1/2 cup pitted dates

For the banana caramel -
2 ripe bananas
3/4 cup pitted dates
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp almond butter

For the chocolate topping -
2 medium avocados
1/4 cup raw cacao powder
2 tbsp maple syrup

Method
Line a square baking dish with non-stick paper and set aside.

Combine the base ingredients in your food processor and process until the mix resembles bread crumbs. It will be a bit sticky and just starting to clump together. Transfer to your prepared baking dish and press down evenly across the bottom of the tin.

Combine the banana caramel ingredients in the food processor and process until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally if needed. Spread over your base later.

Combine the chocolate topping ingredients in the food processor and process until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally if needed. Spread over your banana-caramel layer.

Allow to set in the freezer for at least 3 hours before cutting into slices. Store in the freezer.

Submitted to the 100th Healthy Vegan Fridays link-up!

What have you enjoyed making this weekend?

11 comments:

  1. ooh looks interesting and I am interested that the dark and sweet work together here when not in my malteser cake - it would be nice to think it is because this one is more wholesome but who knows - I actually made popcorn with sweet caramel and bitter chocolate last night which worked well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think of your malteser cake when writing about the sweet/less sweet mix here :-) It's interesting how some things work and others not - glad your popcorn combination turned out well and it certainly sounds delicious.

      Delete
  2. I have such happy memories of bannoffee, as it was a childhood favourite. But this more grown up, raw and vegan version sounds perfect for me now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delicious looking treat! I love all the flavours in this.
    Thanks so much for sharing
    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES PLEASE! :) Before I changed my diet to vegan, gluten free and refined sugar free, banoffee pie used to follow me wherever I went... oh! Maybe it was me following the banoffee pie?! :P Anyway, this sounds delicious - I think I will try the middle bit first! Yumyum! Thanks for sharing at Helathy Vegan Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by - I'm glad you like the look of these!

      Delete
  5. ... I'm drooling over here right now. These look so good! I haven't used hazelnuts in ages, what a fantastic use of them. I'm terrible with baking, so I really appreciate raw desserts and can make them fairly easily.
    Thanks so much for sharing this at Healthy Vegan Fridays - I'm pinning & sharing (and bookmarking to make soon!).
    Have a great week Kari!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).