Sunday, June 22, 2014

No bake cinnamon peanut butter oat bites

This is my first recipe from my new kitchen. It seems an oddly significant moment! With few utensils or appliances, it was never going to be a complicated recipe. These no-bake, bite-sized balls seem a fitting extension of my love of raw fruit and nut truffles, but this time with oats as a star player and no food processor required.


Our online food order arrived during the week, which means our kitchen cupboards are full rather than bare. I now have three nut butters (peanut, hazelnut and almond), and lots of other things besides. I still don't have a flour selection happening, but I do at least have spices.




These oat bites have just five ingredients, and the active preparation time is under 15 minutes. You do need to allow time for the mix to set in the fridge, but if you're really impatient, the unset mixture tastes pretty good too.


No bake cinnamon peanut butter oat bites
Makes approximately 16 balls
Vegan

Author: Bite-Sized Thoughts


Ingredients
1 cup oats
1/3 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup rice malt syrup (other liquid sweetener may work, but the stickiness of rice syrup helps with binding these together; honey would be a non-vegan alternative)
1 to 2 tsp cinnamon, to taste
1 tsp vanilla extract

Method
Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir well to combine. Transfer to a shallow baking dish and press into the bottom. The mix will seem quite soft at this stage.

Allow to set in the fridge for at least 4 hours, but preferably overnight. When firm, use a spoon to scoop out a tablespoon of mixture. Shape into a ball with your hands and transfer to a plate. Repeat for the remaining mix.

Store in the fridge for up to 3 days.


I am sure a chocolate twist would work well here too!

What have you made in the kitchen this weekend?

24 comments:

  1. They look yummy. My husband made no bake something or other things this weekend. Must be the 'in' treat right now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your husband is impressive! I think no bake will always be popular for the simple reason that it is so simple ;)

      Delete
  2. This is similar to a treat I like to make, but I use banana instead of syrup. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Banana is an excellent idea! I am impressed it holds the mix together (perhaps you use other ingredients too) but would love that natural twist.

      Delete
    2. The peanut butter holds it together well enough to eat it out of a bowl like I do. I like to add raisins, too.

      Delete
    3. Eating it out of a bowl sounds great :)

      Delete
  3. hmmm - I wonder if I would enjoy these more soft because I have always disliked peanut butter that was stored in the fridge - I like it soft and fudgy. happy to see you making treats in your won kitchen - must be great to eat your own home made food rather than buying it and make you feel at home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the only way to tell would be to make them and experiment with in and out of the fridge :-) They are quite fudgy even refrigerated so there isn't that cloying hardness that can come with cold nut butters.

      Delete
  4. Simple, no bake yet full of deliciousness - what more can one ask for? Chocolate would definitely combine very well with them. Have a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate combines well with so many things :) Thanks, Padaek!

      Delete
  5. Yum- cinnamon and peanut butter! I love recipes like this, quick and delicious! I have a tub of peanut butter in the fridge just waiting for this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. One can definitely live on nut butters alone! At least I could. :P Love these fun bites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could too, except for the fact that I also love so many other foods ;)

      Delete
  7. Love these mouth poppers! I'm sure the kids would, too! Very tasty recipe :)

    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
  8. AWE! These are so cute and great! What a fun recipe! And they're no bake?! And vegan!! Sweet! Great recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. First recipe out of your new kitchen is a big step Kari...yay! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did kind of feel that way :-) Here is to many more!

      Delete
  10. Peanut butter balls! Delicious and what a great snack. Do you buy natural peanut butter from health food stores? That's what I use as I like how it contains 100% nuts and nothing else like all the sugar they pour into Kraft xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't Kraft awful? In Australia I used to be the 100% nut versions from the health food aisles of larger supermarkets...my recent UK ones came from an online order where I seemed to have endless brand choices! I haven't seen these brands in main supermarkets here though, so it may be health food stores are the place to visit for in person buys.

      Delete
  11. Ooh these look scrumptious ♥ My family are huge fans of the Meridian nut butters. I've resorted to buy the 1kg tubs of crunchy peanut butter and almond butter as the small jars don't last more than 5 minutes in my house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seriously looked at a 1kg tub, but sadly, in our kitchen, that was just too big! It would be a great way to buy it though :)

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Thanks so much for taking the time to let me know! I'm so glad :)

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).