Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Mini vegan caramel apple pancakes (pikelets)

I have found the English equivalent to Australian pikelets: drop scones. Some of you had told me about them previously, and lo! you were correct. Also known as Scotch pancakes, they are pretty much identical to Australian pikelets in appearance, and have just a few minor differences in the typical ingredient list.


I suspect I will be sharing a drop scone recipe with you before long, but for now, I am featuring what may be my last Australian pikelet recipe for now. I made these caramel apple pikelets before we moved, and they feature some more of that mesquite powder I was trying to use up (!). The mesquite provided the caramel tones referred to in the title, and the pikelets were (if I do say so myself) utterly delicious. I certainly plan to make them again.



These actually use mesquite partially in place of flour, with half a cup of mesquite powder being mixed with half a cup of spelt flour. It was a combination that worked well, and resulted in slightly lighter pikelets than usual, with an extra fluffy texture. If you don't want to use that much mesquite powder, you could vary the proportions to a quarter cup of mesquite and three quarters of a cup of flour.

I really liked the apple in these, as it paired well with the caramel flavours. However, you could try other fruit too - banana or berries come to mind as other options that would work well.


Caramel apple pikelets
A delicious, fluffy treat that's perfect for mid-afternoon, breakfast, or any other time you care to think of!
Makes 16 pikelets (small pancakes)
Vegan and low in fat

Author: Bite-Sized Thoughts


Ingredients
1/2 cup spelt flour
1/2 cup mesquite powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup non-dairy milk of choice (I used unsweetened almond milk)
1 small apple, diced

1 tsp water, if needed, to achieve desired batter consistency

Method
Combine the flour, mesquite powder and baking powder in a mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Add the milk and stir to fully incorporate. Add the diced apple and stir through.

If the batter seems to thick, add a small amount of water to achieve your desired consistency.

Heat a non-stick pan over medium high heat and spray with oil if needed. Drop heaped dessertspoons of mix into the pan, cooking three to four pikelets at a time if possible. Cook until the tops are starting to bubble, approximately three minutes, and then flip and cook for an additional three minutes or so, until both sides are golden.

Repeat for the remaining batter and then serve.


Pancakes, pikelets, drop scones or Scotch pancakes - what is your current favourite flavour?

15 comments:

  1. they look delicious - and the flavours sound great - it is the sort of recipe I need to try if I ever buy mesquite powder because it uses quite a bit of it - does it use more than usual or do a lot of recipes use this much?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect I used a bit more than normal ;) I didn't actually do a lot of research before dreaming these up, but I gather that a standard approach with baking (not necessarily pikelets) is to add a few tablespoons into the batter, rather than use half in place of flour! It worked though, fortunately.

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, two of my favourite things here: the apple-caramel combination, and pikelets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow these look so easy and delicious. Where can I buy mesquite powder in Perth??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought mine from the health food shop at Floreat Forum :-) However, I got a Loving Earth brand and they are stocked pretty widely so you would probably have luck at a lot of health food stores. I remember seeing it at The Raw Kitchen in Fremantle too.

      Delete
  4. This is a quick n' easy recipe for snack. Just what I was looking for. Thanks for sharing!

    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I'd have a caramel apple pikelet any day - these sound so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do they eat drop scones in the same way that we eat pikelets? Like a snack? Or are they more like a pancake and made for breakfast or dessert? I really must go out and buy some mesquite powder and give it a try - you've inspired me xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drop scones are definitely a snack- usually for afternoon tea!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Emma! I wouldn't have been sure but I'm glad they are afternoon tea worthy, as that seems right to me.

      Delete
  7. These look gorgeous. That golden colour is beautiful!
    I didn't realize that you could use mesquite like a regular flour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty impressive that it can serve that function. I'm not sure how it would go in a cake - I suspect it's too light for that - but it seems a very versatile baking addition.

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).