Sunday, June 15, 2014

Lemon buckwheat pudding

My food processor is being shipped with our other belongings (mostly book and kitchen items, plus clothes that didn't come in our cases), so I won't be processing buckwheat or anything else for the next few months. Luckily there is plenty of UK food to keep me entertained without a food processor, and I'm looking forward to sharing some of that soon. For now, this is a dish I made before we left Australia. 


This is obviously similar to the buckwheat porridge recipes I shared recently. However, I think this one deserves the title of "pudding" instead of "porridge".Whilst not very different to my previous buckwheat versions, the addition of yacon syrup added sweetness and, when paired with lemon, made this as much a dessert as a breakfast. 

Creamy lemon deliciousness


I used lemon juice and lemon zest in this, but you could probably use juice only if you don't like strong lemon tones, or zest only if you prefer that. I imagine a lime-coconut twist would be possible too, if you used coconut milk instead of almond milk. Buckwheat really is full of possibilities!


Lemon buckwheat pudding
Makes 1 generous breakfast serve, or 2 small snack serves
Vegan and gluten free
Food processor or blender required

Author: Bite-Sized Thoughts


Ingredients
1/2 cup raw untoasted buckwheat groats, soaked in 2 cups of water for a few hours or overnight
1 medium apple, core removed and cut into quarters (no need to peel)
1/4 cup non-dairy milk of choice (I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
2 tbsp lemon juice
Approximately 1/4 tsp lemon zest (the zest of 1 very small lemon or 1/4 large lemon)
1/2 tsp vanilla (omit if using vanilla almond milk)
2 tbsp yacon syrup or other liquid sweetener (maple syrup, agave, rice malt syrup...), or more to taste

1/2 to 3/4 cup raspberries or other fruit, to serve

Method
After soaking your buckwheat groats, drain them and rinse well. Add to your food processor or blender, along with the apple. Process until creamy and semi-smooth, approximately 1 minute. Add the milk, lemon and vanilla if using, and process to incorporate. Add the yacon syrup or other sweetener and process until just blended.

Transfer to a bowl and serve topped with raspberries or other fruit of choice.


What breakfast or pudding variations are you enjoying at the moment?

15 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious! I love lemony treats, this looks like a great way to make it into a breakfast dish! Great use for buckwheat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea of lemon buckwheat porridge! I just made some raw bars with ground buckwheat and lemon and they wet very well together :) hope you're having fun settling in to London!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your bars sound great! Like a snack version of this bowl :)

      Delete
  3. HAVE to try this now that I'm a buckwheat fan! :-) And I do love lemon zest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh I quite like the sound of lime and coconut though I am still not using my buckwheat that sits neglected in a corner :-) I do like the sound of buckwheat and yacon syrup (have decided I must use up mine - is it any cheaper in the uk?) but the lemon is not quite my cuppa tea - hope your food processor doesn't take too long to arrive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen yacon yet but will let you know the price when I do! I am sure it can't be any more expensive than Australia at any rate :P If lemon isn't your thing, a buckwheat pudding with yacon would be a lovely way to try the buckwheat and use up the syrup!

      Delete
  5. Coco-lime combo sounds intriguing! I love those floating raspberries on your pudding/porridge :)

    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raspberries and I get on very well indeed :-)

      Delete
  6. I hope your possessions arrive quickly although it's good to hear you're enjoying the London food scene. I do love the sound of this pudding and it's so good for you and the lemon flavour must be very refreshing xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love lemon flavours - or in some things at least (I had a lemon chocolate recently that didn't quite work!). I also hope our possessions come quickly but I think best case scenario is 8 weeks!

      Delete
  7. This sounds so refreshing... the perfect breakfast (or pudding!) for a gorgeous summer day ♥ I've got a bag of buckwheat in the pantry so I'm looking forward to giving it a try. Thanks so much for sharing your recipe :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it appeals :-) I rather wish I had a bag of buckwheat in my pantry but am sure I'll be back with my own supply soon! I hope you enjoy this if you make it.

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).