Saturday, June 7, 2014

Mesquite berry coconut ice cream (no ice cream maker required)

One of the kitchen items I will be sorry to leave behind next week is a near full bag of mesquite powder. I bought it earlier in the year, and being on the pricey side, have been using it with restraint since. Now faced with leaving it behind, I am regretting this self-control!

Mesquite berry coconut ice cream

Mesquite powder originates from Peru and can be used as a low GI sweetener and/or a high protein bulking agent in baked goods and smoothies. It tastes slightly nutty and quite caramely, and gets on well with most other ingredients. I bought the Loving Earth brand and you can find it in many health food shops.


You may see a few mesquite recipes from me over the coming weeks, and I am very pleased to share this one for coconut ice cream. As many of you know, I love fruit-based ice creams and think frozen bananas are a great base for just about anything. Sometimes, though, I want something closer to traditional ice cream. Also, I somehow had three cans of coconut cream (!) in my pantry.

There is a little bit of effort required here to process, freeze and re-process the ice cream, but you don't need an ice cream maker and the cost is a fraction of store bought coconut ice cream in Australia. Plus, this way you get to make a flavour that I have never seen in a store. The mesquite powder means that this has serious caramel tones, and they pair exquisitely with the berries.


All in all, I recommend this as well worth the effort!

Mesquite berry coconut ice cream
Serves 2 to 4, but optimally 3
Vegan

Food processor required

Author: Bite-Sized Thoughts


Ingredients
1 tin of coconut cream, chilled in the fridge for at least 8 hours
2 cups of frozen mixed berries (fresh would obviously work too)
1/3 - 1/2 cup of liquid sweetener (yacon syrup, rice malt syrup, agave, maple syrup or honey), to taste (I recommend 1/2 cup to produce the sweetness of most commercial ice creams)
2 tsp vanilla paste, or 1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup mesquite powder

Method
Open the chilled tin of coconut cream and pour out the liquid component (which you can use in smoothies or other dishes later). Scoop the thick cream into your food processor and add the berries. Process to combine.

Add the liquid sweetener, vanilla and mesquite to the food processor and process again to combine.

Transfer the ice cream mixture to a zip lock bag or plastic container for freezing. You can divide the mix into separate portions now if you wish (e.g., into separate zip lock bags). If using a plastic container, choose one that will release frozen ice cream easily - non-stick and/or flexible is best.

Freeze the ice cream for at least 4 hours or until fully solid. It can be stored in the freezer indefinitely (up to several months) if adequately sealed.

When you want the ice cream, remove the solid mix from the freezer and allow it to thaw very slightly - just a few minutes. Then, tip the mix out onto a chopping board and cut into sizes that your food processor can cope with.

Process in the food processor until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.


Submitted to Healthy Vegan Fridays.

Do you know / enjoy mesquite powder?

21 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Love the interesting flavor, I could totally go for some of that right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so guilty of saving precious ingredients, to the point that sometimes they expire before I use them! It's ridiculous. I should really just use them up with no regrets. I've never had anything with mesquite powder but I'll definitely be on the look for it after this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny how we hoard and then leave things too late? I think there's a life lesson or two in these kitchen experiences ;)

      Delete
  3. Kari, you are so creative in the kitchen! I've never heard of mesquite powder, and I thank you for introducing me to it. I'm glad this doesn't require an ice cream maker either since I don't own one. I just checked and I have 5 cans of coconut cream too! How?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Perhaps coconut cream breeds if left unobserved!

      Delete
  4. I would use fresh berries on this and am sure the result is ice cream deluxe! Nice variation using mesquite powder here. Best of all, no ice cream maker is required!

    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! Fresh berries would make it even better I suspect :)

      Delete
  5. Coconut and caramel - it sounds so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have just titled this post that!

      Delete
  6. What a pretty colour! I haven't made anything with mesquite before. That's a long time to be chilling the coconut cream - you'd have to be super-organised with your planning-ahead xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or, always keep a tin in the fridge, as I do ;)

      Delete
  7. This sounds and looks delicious! I must see if I can find mesquite powder here :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never had mesquite but am still sad that you have to leave much of it behind - hope you find a good home for it and can buy more in the UK - and am very curious about what sweetener you used in the ice cream after seeing yacon was your first suggestion. I think the ice cream sounds yummy - coconut cream is my sort of ice cream base and berries are always delish and pretty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did indeed use yacon :-) I ended up with some of that left too, but thankfully I managed to use it as that would have been even sadder than mesquite to abandon!

      Delete
  9. This looks so colorful and tasty! I'm alll for coconut milk "ice cream", and it's even better when it's made with a food processor...since I don't own an ice cream maker, haha. Still gotta try mesquite!!! So curious what it's really like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nutty caramelly is the best I can do as a description :-)

      Delete
  10. I know the brand because I love their chocolate but never heard of the powder. I can't see the pictures.. not sure if it's my computer or your blog. Boo either way. Sounds incredible :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pictures are showing up here so perhaps internet connection? I hate it when that happens!

      Delete
  11. Hooray for ice-cream that doesn't require a machine! Thanks for posting Kari!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).