Friday, June 20, 2014

Odds and ends snacks: Ginger and mesquite green smoothie and currant chickpea pancakes

As I have mentioned before, we didn't do a great job of running down ingredients before we moved. In part, this was because our move date was only confirmed 2.5 weeks before we left, and in part, this was because we have a tendency to stock up on food. That tendency does not pay off when moving house.

As a result, we ate some odd things before leaving Australia. I won't share the oddest with you, but the smoothie and pancakes in this post deserve to be made even if you aren't using up ingredients. Neither are very different to things I've made before, but the addition of mesquite to the smoothie, and the combination of currants and chickpea (besan) flour in the pancakes, made these stand out from past versions.




For the smoothie, you will need 1-1/2 frozen bananas, 1 generous cup baby spinach leaves, 1-1/2 tbsp mesquite powder (you may want less if you aren't trying to use it up!), 1-1/2 tsp dried ginger (again, a little less if you prefer) and 1 cup water. If you want a structured recipe, it's available for printing here.

The mesquite powder adds a distinct caramel-like flavour - highly enjoyable - and makes the drink creamy even without milk.

The currant chickpea pancakes could be eaten as a breakfast or snack, or paired with curry for a fruity twist on Indian-style meals. They are extremely simple to make, and chickpea flour is an easy flour to work with when making pancakes.


To make these, you need 1 cup of chickpea flour, 1 cup of water, and as many currants as you want to throw in - I used about 1/3 cup, but 1/4 cup would do (see here for a printable recipe). Mix up the batter, heat a non-stick pan and spray with oil if desired, and make your pancakes as big or as small as you like.


I may not have thought of these particular ingredient combinations if I wasn't working through surplus produce, but I am grateful I did hit on them.

What was the last random dish you threw together - and how did it work out?

8 comments:

  1. I quite like currants in things, so I am interested in these chickpea pancakes with currants. I have a bag of besan flour somewhere!! I tend to stockpile food too, and have moved house many times - I ended up having to give things away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, our families received rather large pantry top ups! If you like currants and have besan flour to use, I definitely recommend the pancakes :-)

      Delete
  2. when I saw that photo before I thought it was lavender in the pancakes - my experiences with chickpea flour in sweet food is probably quite limited except when there is lots of chocolate about - so I would be wary about putting currants in but I like the sound of eating them with a curry - and not quite sure about the taste of mesquite powder but a caramelly smoothie sounds good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I want lavender pancakes :)

      Mesquite is a tough flavour to describe if you haven't had it - caramel is the best I can do, but it's sort of a nutty caramel. I like it a lot but recommend trial and error for your own taste buds!

      Delete
  3. I've been trying to find some use for mesquite powder as I bought it on a whim and haven't really dented it...I like it with cacao but will have to try it with ginger.
    I really need to start running down my pantry and freezer....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, are you moving after you finish your degree? Yes, start running them down now! It takes longer than you think!

      Delete
  4. Only two and a half weeks? That must have been quite a scramble to get yourselves organised. It looks like you did make some effort to use up your supplies and I love currants in pikelets or pancakes xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we knew the move was coming up, but until we had the exact date I was blissfully lazy in doing much real preparation!

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).