Thursday, February 6, 2014

Black bean and beetroot burritos

This recipe is so simple that I nearly didn't post it. It's also very similar to our standard burrito (or quesadilla) dinners. The differences? Instead of kidney beans or black eyed peas this features black beans, and instead of grated zucchini this features grated beetroot.


These are minor changes, but the resulting bean mix is beautiful to look at. I also like to think that the title, black bean and beetroot burritos, is alliteration at its best. It certainly rolls off the tongue (go on, say it a few times!).

One of the reasons I like making burritos is that they can easily be customised to household tastes. This may explain why they were a semi-regular dinner when I was growing up too. Mr Bite has his with avocado, cheese and a modest portion of beans. I have mine with a hefty serve of beans and no avocado or cheese. The other bonus, of course, is that these are so simple to put together. Other than grating vegetables and pre-cooking beans (if you cook from dry), there is hardly any preparation involved.

Mr Bite's cheesy version

This might be a concept rather than a strict recipe, but I do recommend it as an enjoyable weeknight dinner. If you need a meal quickly, it could come together with the aid of basic pantry staples. If you have more time on your hands, feel free to make your own salsa and wrap bread and cook up the beans from dry.

Black bean and beetroot burritos
An easy meal that features gorgeous colours and plenty of nutrition
Vegan
Serves 2 (double quantities if needed)


Ingredients
1-1/2 cups cooked black beans (mine were cooked from dry but tinned would be fine)
1 small red onion, diced
1 small / medium beetroot, grated
1 small / medium carrot, grated
1 cup tomato salsa, homemade or store bought (mine was store bought)
2 to 4 pieces of burrito wrap bread (depending on size and appetite; to serve 2)

Coriander / cilantro, optional
Avocado, optional and to taste
Cheese, optional and to taste

Method
Preheat your oven to 180'C (355'F).

Combine the cooked beans, onion, beetroot, carrot and 3/4 cup of salsa in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes, then reduce heat to low and cook for an additional 5 minutes, covered. The vegetables should be fully cooked.

Line a baking or casserole dish (one with edges) with baking paper. Take one piece of burrito bread, place it in the dish, and fill with bean mixture. Top with optional coriander, avocado and cheese. Fold in the top edges of the bread and seal using a small amount of the remaining salsa. Drizzle extra salsa over the top and add additional cheese if desired.

Repeat for the remaining burritos, then bake for 20 to 25 minutes. These will cope with up to 30 minutes of baking, but any longer will lead to over-cooking as shown below!

Serve with a side salad.

A little over-baked but still delicious

What weeknight dinners do you have on high rotation?

20 comments:

  1. I'm glad you posted this "simple" concept/recipe. Some of us are challenged when it comes to maneuvering in the kitchen. I never thought of using beets for a burrito. I've been toying with the idea of going vegan. This is a great recipe to keep in my mind on my journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I am very grateful for your comment, because I'm never sure whether people like simple recipes or not :-) I know I do - simple always wins over complex for me, all other things being equal! I hope you enjoy the dish if you end up making this.

      Delete
  2. This sounds delish - I live a good burrito.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea. It's always fun to use veggies in fresh ways and in terms of Mexi food I'm usually stuck in my rut of peppers, onions and avocado. I'm still on the lookout for a good store-bought flour tortilla though- all the ones I've seen here have a bunch of nasties in them :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one to have a Mexican rut (mine is peppers, onions and zucchini)! It's a shame you don't have good tortillas near you though...our burrito-branded wraps are a bit questionable, but we have quite a few wrap breads that are just flour, water and salt and I'm not too fussy in using standard wraps for this kind of meal.

      Delete
  4. We're going through a bit of a Mexican phase here too because it's great family fare that everyone enjoys and it's quick, easy and affordable. We tend to go the taco road over the burrito road but your burritos look amazing - so vibrant, colourful and packed with goodness xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine with the varied tastes in your house Mexican would be very handy! The carbohydrate avoiders could just skip the tacos too (fools that they are) ;)

      Delete
  5. Love the colour!! I love beetroot and black beans so will be trying this one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it Kate - the colour made me super happy!

      Delete
  6. These look good. I am not a beet fan, but the spices you have in these tacos look like they would camouflage the beet flavors for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a huge beet fan either but the dominant flavours here are definitely other things :-) I'm glad you like the look of them.

      Delete
  7. you make me want to eat mexican - we just had dips and flatbread tonight because too hot - I love the sound of your bean mix as a filling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a dinner like that last Monday ;) This is definitely a dish for cooler summer nights!

      Delete
  8. I love a good burrito!! Especially those of the non-traditional filling variety. These look amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. And just think, you missed out of the opportunity to hit SEO by talking about pink and Valentine's Day. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I am so far off such things that I had to search what SEO even stands for :P

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).