Sunday, February 16, 2014

Apple, beetroot and carrot salad with walnuts

You may remember me raving about The Raw Kitchen's Thai Papaya Salad and Tarragon Salad this time last year. I subsequently created a variation of the Thai Papaya Salad at home. Today, I bring you a spin off of the Tarragon Salad. There are a few differences to the original, but this version won me over in its own right.



The Raw Kitchen's Tarragon Salad included "grated beetroot, apple and carrots, walnuts, string beans and sultanas, with a dressing of tarragon, olive oil, cashews, garlic and other herbs and spices" (details thanks to T.R.K.). My version omits string beans, sultanas, cashews and garlic, and adds spinach leaves, apple cider vinegar and lemon juice. The sultanas might have been a nice finishing touch, so if you enjoy fruit in your salads - feel free to add them back in.


Fresh beetroot can be an acquired taste, but in this salad it provides flavour (and colour!) without being overpowering. Nonetheless, I do recommend letting the salad sit for at least an hour after you have prepared it. That allows the beetroot to blend with the other flavours, and the dressing to coat everything and soften the walnuts.

Paired with corn on the cob and sweet potato

This is enjoyable enough to eat plain, and if you're in the mood for a large salad, the recipe below would provide 2 generous single servings. I've been using it as a side dish, and in that form, 4 to 6 serves is more realistic. However you serve it, it will definitely brighten up your plate.

Apple, beetroot and carrot salad with walnuts
An easy, bright and nutrition-packed salad that is perfect for any time of year.
Vegan.
Serves 2 as a light main or 4 to 6 as a side dish.

Author: Bite-sized thoughts, inspired by The Raw Kitchen's Tarragon Salad.

Print recipe.

Ingredients
1 large apple, cut into quarters (no need to remove the skin)
1 beet, peeled
3 medium carrots, peeled and ends removed
1 cup baby spinach leaves
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or slightly more, to taste)

1 to 1-1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar (to taste)
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp dried tarragon
Decent pinch salt

Chopped coriander (cilantro), optional, to serve

Method
Grate the apple, beetroot and carrots, using a food processor if you have one or by hand if not. Transfer to a large bowl and add the spinach leaves and chopped walnuts.

In a small bowl or jar, whisk together the apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, oil, tarragon and salt. Pour over the salad and toss to coat.

Allow the salad to sit in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving. Garnish with coriander if desired.

Will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.

Paired with fig and fennel bread (and an apricot)

Submitted to Vegan Mondays Recipe Round-Up and Healthy Vegan Fridays.

Do you have any favourite restaurant dishes that you've adapted at home?

22 comments:

  1. sounds delicious - I love the serving with bread an an apricot - just my sort of meal - I would be happy to include the sultanas and cashews - though more likely to use cashews than sultanas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bread is great Johanna - I had that exact salad / bread pairing a few times!

      Delete
  2. A very similar salad is in Yoshiko's Cooking with Soy book. Beetroot, carrot and apple compliment each other so wonderfully :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank god you left out the dried eyeball sultanas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now you've called them that, it's pretty likely I'll be leaving them out of most things from now on ;)

      Delete
  4. Oooo so beautiful! I don't think I've ever had fresh beets but that vibrant color is enough to entice me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beets give great colour but, happily, don't overpower in flavour thanks to the other ingredients!

      Delete
  5. This salad looks and sounds so fresh and inviting. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That salad sounds wonderful and oh that fig and olive bread- umm what?? did you make it? sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fig and fennel is bought, sadly, but from a great local bakery. It's a sourdough loaf and I absolutely love it!

      Delete
  7. I actually like the taste of raw beetroot! This is a lovely looking salad, full of flavour and crunch. And not to mention, good for you! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have good taste! I wish I could say I like it plain, but do prefer it mixed with other ingredients - the more I eat it the more I enjoy it though, so perhaps with time I'll join you in liking it straight up :-)

      Delete
  8. What's wrong with dried eyeball sultanas I want to know? :)

    I love beetroot and I like it raw if it's been cut thinly. I agree with Charlie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinly cut is my preference too - those big slabs are a bit off-putting!

      I really like sultanas in salads so I am going to have to get past the eyeball connotations!

      Delete
  9. I love both beetroot and carrot and have both grated almost every day of the week. i am going to try your combo this week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like our kitchens are on the same purple-orange wavelength!

      Delete
  10. looks like such a great fresh little salad. would love to give it a go. it's been some time. hope all is well with you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from you Megs! I hope all is well with you too. I'm glad you like the look of this as well :)

      Delete
  11. I just highlighted this in my Vegan Mondays Roundup! Thanks for linking up! http://applesandginger.com/2014/02/24/vegan-monday-roundup-february-24th-2014/

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).