Monday, February 3, 2014

In my kitchen - February 2014 (with chocolate, books, yacon, and Australian coconut ice cream!)

I am linking this post in to Celia's monthly In My Kitchen event at Fig Jam and Lime Cordial.

There is quite a lot happening in my kitchen this month. With recipe testing for Ricki Heller's upcoming new cookbook, there are an unprecedented number of dishes being created (and eaten!) each week. If you don't already follow me on Facebook or Twitter, they are your chance to see some of the recipes I'm testing out!

Ricki's raw carrot cake energy balls

With all the recipe testing, it's hard to believe there are other things in the kitchen too. But...there are. Amongst them was this loaf of carrot, zucchini and sultana bread. It was a bit like the apricot and sultana loaf I made in 2011, and also a bit like the 'ugly duckling' (apple, carrot and zucchini) muffins I made in 2012. Sadly, the loaf wasn't quite right: it tasted good but failed to set in the middle. Not a recipe for sharing.

Semi-fail carrot, zucchini and sultana bread

Some things that are worth sharing are the new (or at least, new to me) Yum fruits flavours. I first discovered the Yum fruits range in 2012, and since then have tried the chocolate-coated mango and chocolate-coated raisin varieties. These pineapple, coconut and cranberry flavours are very welcome additions, and all are dairy-free and vegan (despite only the cranberry packet having a V marked!).


Continuing the chocolate trend, I bought this Cocopod kirsch cherries in dark chocolate block at Perth's Oxfam shop. The Cocopod range is new to Perth, and there was also a fig and hazelnut block that I bought to give my Mum. She has endorsed that one, and I can attest to the quality of the cherry block.


I couldn't taste the kirsch component per se, but the dried cherries were as tart as they were sweet (as dried cherries should be) and the chocolate blended deep cocoa and semi-sweet tones beautifully (as dark chocolate should do).


In my kitchen, George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire books have returned. I loved the first book (A Game of Thrones), but then found the second (A Clash of Kings) a little less enjoyable, and the third (A Storm of Swords) somewhat slow. Fortunately, book four (A Feast for Crows) is redeeming the series, and I am reading it whenever I can snatch time to do so!

A book, a lunch, a flower

In my kitchen, there are some new varieties of coconut ice cream. This cocofrio brand has only recently appeared, and whilst it costs as much as the imported American varieties, it has the advantage of being Australian made and not shipped halfway around the world to reach me.


I was excited by both of these flavours, but the salted caramel seemed to be all caramel and no salt. Sadly, I found it a bit too sweet for my liking.

Salted caramel ice cream

In contrast, the black sesame flavour completely won me over. Tahini in ice cream is my new favourite thing!

Black sesame ice cream

In my parent's kitchen, there have been some boxes of childhood toys. My mother sensibly requested that I sort through the many (many!) childhood items they've retained before I leave Australia later this year. I now have several large boxes of things "to keep", which my parents will kindly keep for me until I have a house with sufficient storage to take possession of them myself. There is something quite odd about re-visiting childhood toys, but it is an enjoyable process all the same.


In my kitchen, there are these cinnamon toast pretzel crisps. I expected them to taste like cinnamon, but instead they just tasted like salt. Perhaps I should have put them in my low salt salted caramel ice cream...


They were improved by peanut butter and being dipped in tea, but in all they were not a huge success.


Last but not least, in my kitchen there is Yacon syrup


Have you heard of it? Like agave, it is made from a plant (the yacon root, which grows in Peru), but unlike agave, it doesn't increase blood glucose levels. It is also classified as a prebiotic and tastes a bit like treacle. I'm looking forward to trying it out!

What is happening in your kitchen this month?

34 comments:

  1. Those carrot cake balls look really yummy!

    Thanks for the heads-up on the salt in the Cinnamon Pretzels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is, when you look at the nutritional table, it's obvious sodium is really high! It's not listed explicitly in the ingredient list though (it's part of a seasoning mix) so it could me out. Hopefully you can avoid the same trap now ;)

      Delete
  2. Interesting thingies in your kitchen - I am most drawn to your childhood toys - wish I had more childhood toys and wish I was more organised about them - I do have a few dolls that fascinate sylvia. I also wish for more fun chocolates like the ones you have - though I tend to feel more tentative about buying chocolate in this warm weather. The black sesame ice cream looks amazing and I look forward to hearing how you go with yacon syrup - was it easy to find - I don't think I have seen it about but want to return to a fairly local bigger health food store soon. Our local health food store is quite small and frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am making many health food store trips at present!! The yacon was surprisingly easy though - I had never seen if so was expecting it to be hard, but Loving Earth allows you to search online for stores near you that stock their products, and fortunately the first one I visited had their yacon syrup. It was really expensive though so I will be relishing every drop and hopefully not spilling any!

      My Mum 'lost' all her childhood toys when she left them at home and moved away, and then her parents moved and lots of things just got given away. I think as a result, she's always been really good at retaining our things for us and we have a very good selection of remaining possessions!

      Delete
  3. No, I've never heard of Yukon syrup. It sounds very interesting and I'd love try it. I like the look of the ice cream but it's a shame the caramel was a bit sweet. I love black sesame ice cream as well. I know what you mean about sorting through toys - I've had to do it many, many times. It brings back so many wonderful memories xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite a surreal experience, isn't it? The smell and sounds of some of them took me back many years, and my Mum was the same.

      You are ahead of me in discovering black sesame ice cream but I think you have excellent taste :-) I hope you get a chance to experiment with yacon syrup at some time too, as it's quite fun and anything that smells like treacle gets a tick from me.

      Delete
  4. JESUS WEPT BLACK SESAME VEGAN ICE CREAM!!!! I mean, yes, I have this a 20 minutes walk from my house, but that's not convenient when it's -40C outside. THIS WHEN I'M BACK IN AUS THIS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to give you a reason to return to Australia with an open heart :D

      Delete
  5. I love the idea of the carrot cake raw energy balls! Is that a recipe you can share? Or will be part of the book you mentioned?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid that one is bound by confidentiality until the book comes out! I recommend looking out for it via Ricki Heller's blog later this year :-) In the mean time, I do have a raw carrot cake truffle ball recipe on my blog (http://www.bitesizedthoughts.com/2013/03/carrot-hazelnut-molasses-truffle-balls.html ) which I fully admit isn't as carrot cake like as Ricki's, but could be a second best option until hers is released.

      Delete
  6. I didn't know yacon could be used as a sweetener. I tried to grow some - a friend gave me some tubers, but they failed spectacularly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, given it usually grows in South America, perhaps you had a challenge on your hands from the start! I'm impressed you tried as I've never seen it fresh anywhere :)

      Delete
  7. How excited that you're a cookbook tester! I can't wait for the book release, I love Ricki Heller's blog :)
    I love all those ingredients you've showcased, we sell a lot of them at work and it's great to see more and more people talking up those fantastic ice creams and the yacon syrup as well.
    Talking about the yacon syrup, Loving Earth was out of stock for so long, so I'm super excited it's back again! You're right about it tasting like treacle, I like to use it instead of blackstrap molasses sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine yacon syrup really taking off if it becomes more available in Australia - it seems like such a great ingredient :-) It must be fun working somewhere where you get to sell it (and by association, see it everyday!).

      Delete
  8. WOW!

    You have such an interesting kitchen, I can honestly say none of those things are in my kitchen... I would be very curious to try the black sesame ice-cream though... YUM!
    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This month is particularly interesting! It's almost a little excessive in fact...but very fun :-)

      Delete
  9. That black sesame ice cream sounds amazing!! I'm going to have to try to recreate it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, please do! Then I can make it using your recipe :D

      Delete
  10. Oof, breads failing to set in the middle happen to me ALL the time! The combination of ingredients sounds delicious though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it isn't just me! It was a delicious mix and luckily I can eat non-set middles without minding too much ;)

      Delete
  11. Thanks for the delicious ideas! I love all of them ESPECIALLY the ice cream! I'm also glad to see you're reading Game of Thrones - too many people just watch the TV shows and never read the fantastic books. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think about yacon! I know friends who use it as a weight loss aid, but I just like it because it tastes delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to find another person who has read the Game of Thrones books - you're right, they are wonderful and deserve to be read before watching the series. I've seen series 1 and 2 so wanted to finish the books before we get to series 3 :-)

      So far, yacon is going very well! It is so flavoursome and seems to replace treacle / molasses beautifully.

      Delete
  12. So many scrumptious eat you have here Kari!!! And yayyyy for Australian ice cream that doesn't need to make a trip to reach you! haha. The black sesame one sounds soooooooo amaaaaazing! How come I've never heard of that kind of ice cream?! I love anything black sesame flavored becauser I grew up eating Korean rice cakes that have those. They're never too sweet and just so nutty and delectable. Have you tried Korean rice cakes? If not, you need to asap. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, no, I haven't!! I will have to seek some out...my decadent imagination is wondering how they would be topped with black sesame ice cream :-) I hope you can find some of that to try yourself, as it is really gorgeous!

      Delete
  13. Kari, I adore black sesame icecream! And the Cocopod bars look very good indeed! It must have been wonderfully nostalgic going through your old books and toys - your parents will keep them now for your kids! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's what they're hoping for! I'm more interested in black sesame ice cream at present though ;)

      Delete
  14. Never heard of yacon either but I'm eager to hear the report. The Yum chocolate gets a big tick of approval as well as the black sesame ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yacon gets a big tick! I guess I have a soft spot for all treaclesque sweeteners, but the fact it comes from a plant makes it magical and sweet.

      Delete
  15. This post makes me want to go and make vegan ice-cream right now (actually, I might just go and do just that!)

    journeysthroughmeadows.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your range of chocolate and ice-cream is impressive!!!
    So disappointing when cakes don't bake through - love the sound of those flavours though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Impressive, and perhaps a little excessive ;) It was a good month!

      The cake was a sad affair. Hopefully I can redeem it in the future as I did love the flavours.

      Delete
  17. G'day Kari! You won me at your blog title, true!
    YUm re the chockie, Yukon syrup, and can I just say yum, yum, yum for this month's In My Kitchen series too! Thank you!
    Cheers! Joanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne! It has been a rather yummy month.

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).