Friday, February 21, 2014

Simple delights {February 2014}

It's been a while since I've done a 'loving this week' post or similar. I've been missing them! Sometimes it is the little things that make or break a week, and remembering to focus on simple pleasures can make a big difference to my overall contentment.

Recently, I have rediscovered corn on the cob and I am quite besotted. I have the cobs completely plain, hot or cold, with a meal or for a snack. They are sweetness and sunshine in a mouthful.


I've also been enjoying pomegranate, which I bought to make vegan pomegranate chocolate mousse from Oh My Veggies.



The mousse was delicious and the leftover pomegranate seeds proved to be an attractive addition to salads, cereal and yoghurt.


With our weather still being on the hot side of warm, I've been loving homemade iced coffee too. I can't believe it took me so long to discover this twist on coffee. My version is as simple as it gets: instant coffee stirred into chilled almond milk, with the addition of ice cubes. I still enjoy a hot coffee in the morning, but an iced version is gorgeous in the afternoon.

Moving away from edible delights, late afternoon walks help counter the heat and mean I can head outdoors without being fully smothered in sunscreen.


Playing on play equipment wins me over at any time of day, too.


Last but not least, I'm up to the last Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) book, A Dance with Dragons. I hadn't realised until now that George Martin is still writing the series! I don't like being left hanging when I finish a series that hasn't been concluded...but do love knowing that more books will come. I've got most of this book left anyway, and given how thick it is, I will be reading of dragons for a while yet.

What simple things are lighting up your week?

18 comments:

  1. Lovely :) Hmm Dutch is at the moment. He has turned into such a sweet heart. Also feeling totally grateful for this cooler weather. Means I can enjoy Buttered French Lentils :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, cooler weather with lentils sounds great! I hope to have similar experiences over coming months :)

      Delete
  2. I miss corn! Can't wait for summer to come here!! And yes, pomegranate seeds really are the perfect addition to salads...I'll have to try them next over pudding or mousse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll be easing out of corn season here and into corn season where you are soon!

      Delete
  3. I love corn! It's the simple things
    ... I like pomegranate too but must admit I've never cooked with it. And iced coffee sounds yum. I welcome any opportunity to sit down and enjoy a (non alcoholic ) drink :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm not sure throwing pomegranate seeds into / on things counts as cooking, and that's pretty much all I do with them ;) The mousse used pomegranate juice though, which was a great alternative to just eating the seeds.

      Delete
  4. I love corn on the cob too, and more importantly it is a favourite of the kids! Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had so much fun playing on the slides and other equipment in the playground with my nephew and niece this week. If it was ever quiet I'd love to go and have a run around on my own ;)
    I love love love corn on the cob! One of the best things about summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess one advantage of a double summer is extra months of corn on the cob :D

      It's always a shame when a great playground is busy with the age group it is aimed at! At least you had some children to provide a good excuse to join in this week though :)

      Delete
  6. Oh yes, many more books to come in this series! And it has been driving me up the wall since I finished them a couple years ago that the 6th still isn't out! I know I'm not the only one who is afraid he will die before he finishes the series at this rate....

    simple things- getting to cook in my parents' big kitchen and seeing and old friend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cooking in a big kitchen is always wonderful - as is seeing old friends :) And I am glad I didn't start reading the Song of Ice and Fire books earlier or I would have been so impatient waiting!!

      Delete
  7. A few days ago I bought organic corn from a farmer's market. I've been cooking it and having it for lunch - just corn on its own with butter and salt and it's been wonderful - so simple yet so tasty. I love the photo of where you go for an afternoon walk - it looks very peaceful xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peaceful is right :) And your lunches sound lovely - simple yet tasty is spot on!

      Delete
  8. that park must be quiet - we always find it hard to get a go on the big round swings because they are so busy - love your corn photo - and love corn on the cob - so easy and so yummy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most people were home starting to make dinner when we were at the park ;) It's also quite a new playground so I think it is a bit under-utilised at present - except by us, that is!

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).