Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Northern Queensland travels - Cairns (part 1)

In my last travel post, we were approaching Cairns after 5 days of driving across outback Australia. Enjoyable as the outback section was, reaching Cairns was exciting. Not only is Cairns a city of reasonable size (some 150,000 people), it was a coastal city and it was green. Buildings, water and trees are wonderful things when you haven't seen them for nearly a week!

Cairns centre



We had three nights in Cairns, which meant our days there were quite full. I'm leaving our trip on the Kuranda skyrail for another post, but even with that, I'll be taking you on a whirlwind tour today.



Cairns centre

One of Cairns' smaller attractions is the Cairns Museum, tucked away in an old building and run by the Cairns Historical Society. For a small entry fee, you get a wealth of background information on Cairns and the surrounding areas, complete with exhibits and displays from the gold rush era, farming and mining exploits, World War II, local Aboriginal groups, and the Chinese migrants who contributed to Cairns' development. It was a good way to grasp the origins of the area, and has the benefit of being inside if you're caught in a humidity clearing burst of rain (this is the tropics after all).

Rainforest boardwalk, Cairns Botanical Gardens

Another 'small scale' attraction is the Cairns Botanical Gardens and surrounding parks and walk trails. I call them small scale because they are free, but the gardens are extensive and we enjoyed both the formal section and some of the attached park-based walks, including the rainforest walk pictured above. There are two cafes at the gardens, and one of them even provided us with Devonshire Tea.

Jumbo bamboo, Cairns Botanical Gardens

Lest I sound too grown up with garden viewing and Devonshire tea consumption, let me share two images with you that make me giggle even now.

This is one:


And this is the other:


I know.

There were some better behaved flowers too, and these ones caught my eye for their beauty instead of their, well, shape.



I touched on our trip to the Great Barrier Reef when I blogged some phone photos from the reef itself, thanks to the free WiFi on our boat. Given that post was a little brief (typing on a phone on a rocky boat with slow internet is quite an experience!), I am revisiting the island so I can grace it with some words.


Our trip was to Green Island, which is a small, rainforest covered coral cay 27km of the coast of Cairns. We did a half day tour, which gave us enough time for some brief, rather cold snorkeling off the shore - I'm too scared to snorkel deeper - as well as a walk around the island and a glass bottomed boat tour that took us over the deeper reefs. It was a great outing.


An  unintentional feature of our time in Cairns was the Cairns Ironman, which coincided with our visit. For those of you who aren't familiar with the Ironman, it is the mother of all triathlons with a 3.8km ocean swim, a 180.2km cycle race, and then a full 42.2km marathon. The average finish time is in the vicinity of 11 hours. It is incredible, and I suspect the closest I may come to a finish is the sign I snapped below.


The magnitude of the event was highlighted by our passing of cyclists when we headed out in the morning (we'd already slept through the swimming stretch!), and then, some 8 hours later, passing runners coming back along the same stretch of road. A few hours later again, we headed out to dinner and saw people still running. Our dinner plans were paused while we watched athletes in various states of exhaustion run, hobble or walk down the final 2km stretch.


The atmosphere was incredible and the finish line was an inspiring place to be. I hadn't realised that Ironman events announce each competitor by name as they finish - so if I had run, I'd have heard "Kari, you are an Ironman" as I'd crossed the end.

We eventually left the Ironmen to their exertions and went on to dinner. I found it hard to fully relax and eat while people were running the tail end of a marathon nearby, but Mr Bite had no such qualms. Indeed, where I was inspired and awed by the athletes, and gave thought to whether I could do an Ironman myself, he was awed but uncomprehending of why anyone would do such a thing. It's probably for the best - if he suddenly took up swimming, cycling and running I'd never see the man.


Our food in Cairns was a bit hit and miss. Ironically, our best meal was on our first night when we gave up searching for a Vietnamese place I'd seen advertised and went to Grill'd Burgers instead, which we have at home fairly regularly. It seemed rather uninspired to eat at a burger chain that we have at home, even if it is a very good burger chain, but sometimes such things must be done. 8.30pm on a rainy night with increasing hunger is such a time. I did feel sorry for the runners passing it the next evening (pictured above), as I'm sure the burger smell must have been torture after 11 hours on your feet and 2km to go!

Our second night took in the Vietnamese place I'd been searching for on night one, Bobby's, but it was such a disappointment that I didn't even take any photos. I truly don't think I've had a worse dining experience. In fairness to the restaurant, it has reasonable reviews online and it's possible I like my Vietnamese food unauthentic. Even aside from the food, though, the service was poor and the atmosphere rather lacking. We were seated and left unattended for a very long time, and when we were served, my request for a half / side serve of stir fried vegetables was rejected cursorily. I stuck with ordering rice paper rolls instead, which were described as four "vegetable tofu rolls".

I had been dreaming of rice paper rolls with fresh vegetables and flavoured tofu. Perhaps if my dream hadn't been so strong, my disappointment wouldn't have been so great. As it is, it was crushing! I got rice paper rolls with some limp lettuce and large pieces of unflavoured egg tofu. When I asked about the egg, explaining I didn't eat egg, I was told quite insistently it was "just tofu, no egg". I didn't eat much.

Mr Bite ordered the vegetarian stir fry chow mein. He had been expecting soft noodles but received the crispy variety, accompanied by a considerable amount of sauce and limp over-cooked vegetables. He didn't eat much either. We finished with sorbet down the street and chocolate at home!


Our third night was, fortunately, much better. After being responsible for our dismal Vietnamese, I turned food choice over to Mr Bite and he selected pizza. We ate at La Porchetta, part of a chain of casual Italian restaurants. At least it isn't a chain we have in Perth! We shared a large gourmet vegetarian pizza, which the staff were happy to make so that half had no cheese. It wasn't the best pizza I've eaten, but it was enjoyable and much better than flavourless egg tofu.

The sophistication of our Cairns dining was boosted by a visit to the Cairns location of Coffee Works gourmet coffee, chocolate and tea. I bought dark chilli chocolate and dark lemon myrtle chocolate, and both were excellent, if unusual in the case of the lemon myrtle.


On that note, I'll leave this over-full post and suggest that you visit Cairns if you get the chance, but avoid Bobby's, be prepared to laugh at rude plants, and make plans to schedule in chocolate.

Have you visited Cairns? And what is your most disappointing dining experience?

28 comments:

  1. I think you already know that I adore Cairns and the surrounding areas, the views of mountains everywhere are particularly stunning. I love your shots of the botanical gardens, we visited them many years ago and also did a hike up the mountain on the other side of the road. I can't recall if we saw any rude plants but I'm sure we would have joked about them if we did. I had totally forgotten about those majestic jumbo bamboos - they are awesome!

    The last couple of times I've been to Cairns the food has been very unimpressive, there doesn't seem to be much quality food on offer if you don't eat meat or seafood, let alone dairy and eggs. Sorry to hear about your unpleasant dining experience and the egg tofu, I'm glad that the burgers and pizza worked out better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a photo of the jumbo bamboo with Mr Bite standing next to them - it makes them look even more enormous because you have him for scale. They are incredible! I'm glad you have such fond memories of the area too.

      It is a bit amusing that burgers and pizza were winners where Vietnamese was not, but at least we did have them as reliable fall backs :) If we'd wanted seafood there certainly would have been plenty of that.

      Delete
  2. Oh your story has brought back so many memories for me! I loved enjoying all of these places a few years ago and it was awesome seeing them again in your pictures. The cairns foreshore area is amazing, I wish Coffs Harbour had something similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I'd taken a daytime picture of Cairns foreshore - it is beautiful and the inland beach is such a great concept. I wish lots of places had similar things!

      Delete
  3. I have never been to cairns but would love to one day. The botanic gardens look magnificent. The food sounds more ordinary but I guess you don't go to cairns for the food - yet I can understand after a few days of camping you might hope for a decent cooked meal. The egg tofu vietnamese place reminds me of "vegetarian soup with chicken" that I had in Darwin (though I am not sure if I have had egg tofu - only saw it on Mel's blog for the first time recently) so I don't know how you spot it. The original La Porchetta was up the road from me in a student house years ago and the franchis e has never lived up to the original but their pizzas are ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're into meat and seafood, Cairns is quite the dining experience but for vegetarians it is a bit more challenging. "Vegetarian soup with chicken" is even more amusing than egg tofu and does make me worry about what goes into "vegetarian" dishes at some places!! How funny. Given you're like me and don't like eggs, I think you'd know egg tofu if you had it - it tastes like egg, a bit like an omelette, and quite different to regular tofu.

      I had no idea that La Porchetta started in Melbourne, but I suppose many good things in Australia do ;)

      Delete
  4. I envy you, Kari..I really really do. You are killing me with all these posts! Since I can't visit anytime soon, I always look forward to reading these humorous and thorough recaps of yours ;). I believe I've said that many times now. Sorry hehe. When I saw the name of the place, I couldn't help but think of the adorable carine terriers. Botanical gardens are one of my favorites places to visit. Love the colors, the serenity, scent, everything. One of my coworkers has finished about 5 Ironmans so far. She is crazy. Crazy strong and just awesome! I don't know how to swim nor do I cycle so I don't think I will be attempting anytime soon. I can run like nobody's business though ;). I'm so sorry to hear about the horrifying experience at the Vietnamese restaurant. Even if the food if horrible, if the service was great and the staff was friendly, I wouldn't be so hard on them. But it looks like they failed on both ends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Min! I always love receiving your comments and kind words :-) That is really call about your Ironman coworker. I'm like you - swimming and cycling are both challenging for me so it seems like an unreachable achievement! I agree with you on the service aspect too, it's hard to view a place too badly if they at least try to be friendly, but when they don't manage any positives it's tough!

      Delete
  5. What a fantastic trip! I loved that you got to watch IM too. Such an inspiring athletic event to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was - I'm still riding on the inspiration over a month later!

      Delete
  6. Australia might as well be another planet - everything looks awesome. Including the, erm, manly flowers, ha ha. Too bad you had such a crappy dining experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so far away it sometimes does feel like we're on another planet :-) Fortunately the good aspects made up for the not so good food!

      Delete
  7. What I remember from Cairns is as follows: Great Barrier Reef amazingness with an enormous friendly whale-fish (not really, but it was big), ice cream, a shell necklace, and a comic book store.

    I was, I believe, 11.

    And, even then, I would've been in hysterics over those phallic plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At 11, you'd have been the perfect age for laughing at phallic plants. At 29, I fear I should be more grown up, but that doesn't seem to have happened! I do love your list of 11-year-old memories too. They sound like the things that would have made a perfect childhood holiday.

      Delete
  8. Delightful! I would LOVE to visit Cairns!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always wanted to go to Cairns but haven't made it yet. The botanical gardens look beautiful!

    I love that they call ppls names for the Ironman, it is very very well deserved!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It was such a nice personal touch.

      Delete
  10. LOL - risqué plants! I have never bee to Cairns, so I found this post interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plants are surprisingly interesting sometimes ;) I'm glad you enjoyed this Cakelaw!

      Delete
  11. No, no it would be, "Kari, you are an IronWOMAN!" Hehe. Wow, yes that would definitely be an achievement to say the least. Bummer on the poor dining experiences - it's so annoying isn't it? Especially when you try and research before hand. I LOVE Grill'd burgers - I haven't found one here on the GC yet but used to get it regularly in Melbourne, yummo. I suppose predictability/consistency is a big bonus for eating at a chain establishment, yes?

    *Snort* Those flowers ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Predictability and consistency are definitely big draw cards with chain establishments - especially if the place is predictably and consistently good! Sorry you don't have any local ones to enjoy but hopefully you can fit in intermittent Grill'ds with trips elsewhere :-)

      Delete
  12. I'm guilty of having been to Cairns many times but never bothering to explore the city itself. We've always headed straight to the Northern Beaches. Interesting plant life for sure. I so admire those iron men/women. Not matter how long it takes to finish, every one who enters is a champion. Such endurance and perseverance xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the beaches are as much of a drawcard as the city so I wouldn't feel too badly - it is the region as much as Cairns that is amazing.

      Delete
  13. Hmm. I certainly don't remember Cairns as a foodie mecca. At all. Which is disappointing given it is in the tropics and on the coast! I think it suffers from so many great small centres existing all around it. Despite the foodie issues, sounds like you had a great time! And I love that Pitcher Plant ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes food is irrelevant to having a good time - or at least not essential to it - and fortunately that was the case here :-)

      Delete
  14. Yeah, Cairns is a sucky place for vegan food in general. I'm sure there are a few gems, but my best eating has been outside of the city itself. I wonder about the good reviews of Bobby's, though. Andy and I had a similar experience at a Thai place in Townsville. A bunch of different people raved about it. When we went, it was limp, frozen veggies in watery sauce. Blergh.

    We were probably in Cairns at the same time. I had about 30 minutes in the airport on the Queen's birthday Monday. There was a huge line up for security because all the athletic events that were on that weekend had finished up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make me feel better about not finding great places! I would have been annoyed if there had been wonderful eats I just didn't hit upon. And how funny to think we were so close! That Monday was the day we went to Green Island :-)

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).