Friday, July 12, 2013

Fitness Fridays - podiatry, gait analysis, orthotics, and new running shoes

I've been meaning to write this post for a while now. Unusually for me, I have struggled with how to start it. Do I tell you about my experiences with orthotics from age 12 to age 18, when my tendencies towards over-prontation were identified? Do I tell you about the running seminar I went to where I heard about gait analysis? How much detail do you really want on orthotics anyway?

I decided to just start with why I went to see a podiatrist this year. Back in April, just after my first half marathon, I went to a distance running seminar organised by the Western Australian Marathon Club (WAMC). The WAMC is the main running body in Western Australia and organises various runs and events over the year (not just marathons as the name would suggest). The seminar was great and I do intend to write up my notes on it at some stage.

One of the speakers at the seminar was a sports podiatrist. He wasn't the most useful speaker of the afternoon for me, but he did show video footage of people undertaking gait analysis, where they're filmed as they walk and then run on a treadmill, both bare foot and in shoes. I was amazed at the number of things that could go 'wrong' (in a misaligned, rolling in or out, injury-inclination kind of way). I knew my feet rolled inwards, but I had no idea how I actually looked when I ran. Given I was nearly due for new running shoes, I thought I might arrange a podiatry visit for myself.

New running shoes - Brooks Trance. They're bright!

I spoke with my physiotherapist to check that the place I planned to visit was respectable, booked an appointment, and looked forward to finding out what my legs actually did when I ran. I didn't make the session thinking I would need orthotics, rather hoping for some extra guidance with shoe choice.

I wish I could show you images from my gait analysis. The expected part was that my feet rolled in when I walked and ran, a lot when I was bare foot and very much less (but still a bit) when I was in my running shoes. The unexpected part was that my right hip dropped whenever I landed on that side. If you can imagine the drawing below being me, and please forgive my terrible computer drawing skills!, that was the scenario.

Laugh away. Just note the red sloping arrow too. That's my hip position on landing on my right side!

I had no idea I was doing this. I did get a new appreciation for why I get hip / ITB pain, and sometimes knee pain, and was really glad that I'd bothered to get the gait analysis done.

An evolution in running shoes (oldest from the right - Mizuno Wave Renegade, Brooks Ariel, Brooks Adrenaline, and Brooks Trance).

From the gait analysis, the podiatrist kindly explained that we had two issues. The first was the over-pronation (rolling in), which was quite well managed with my supportive running shoes, but was still going to leave me slightly injury prone. Her phrasing was that if I wanted to keep running at my current level / frequency, I would probably be fine without orthotics; however, if I ever wanted to increase my distance or mileage, I would be vulnerable to injuries without extra support.

The second issue was my dropping hip, which was quite separate to my feet and stemmed from weak gluteal muscles on my right side. She suggested I work with my physiotherapist to identify exercises to strengthen these.

(Lest you wonder why my physiotherapist has never noticed these weak muscles himself, I see him mostly for my back, which is prone to quirks that result in headaches unless regularly addressed.)

Given that I would like to be able to run more than I currently do without fearing injury, I decided to tackle both aspects: feet and hips. Thus, we took moulds of my feet at the end of that first appointment and they were sent off in order for orthotics to be made.

The result of my feet moulds. These blocks carry a hefty price tag.

If I had known that my health fund didn't cover podiatry at all (I really should have checked) I may have thought harder about orthotics and whether I needed them. The price tag for these customised shoe inserts is quite horrifying. I have since justified it in terms of injury prevention; the fact that the moulds above will last for years, possibly forever (and the orthotics themselves will last for at least 3 years); and possible shoe savings brought on by a greater range of shoes to choose from now that I don't need as much support in the shoes themselves.

Still. I will say, if you're thinking about getting orthotics yourself, be prepared to part with the some money. You can buy 'over the counter' non-customised ones that work fine if you don't need much support, but the variety built from moulds require a bit of input.

The actual orthotics. I know, so small!

Orthotics ordered, I visited my physiotherapist for advice on how to address my errant right side muscles. His verdict, phrased nicely but nonetheless cutting in its accuracy!, was that it wasn't so much that my left side was strong and my right side weak...instead, both sides were weak, but the right side was weaker. Excellent.

I am now doing leg extensions, side leg raises, one-legged squats, and one-legged standing dutifully, and have noticed after my recent long runs that my gluteal muscles are actually sore. This has never happened before (goodness knows what muscles I was running with!) so I am taking it as progress - clearly the muscles are being used in a way they weren't before.

As for the orthotics? It's too soon to say whether they will make a huge difference in injury prevention. They feel good in my shoes, and I have fully adjusted to the feel of them when I run. I have found I get less pain immediately after running on hard surfaces like concrete or brick (which I do try to avoid but sometimes are unavoidable). And, I have got new shoes, a supportive but slightly less supportive Brooks model than my last pair.

Spot the chunky soles on the right...

The pictures above show changes across my last four pairs of running shoes. The oldest, on the far right above, are the Mizuno Wave Renegade, which I actually went through two pairs of before they were discontinued in 2010. They were a 'control' shoe, and my first Brooks pair, the Ariel (second from right), were in that same category. You can see above how their bases are a lot thicker and more built up than my newer shoes.

Last year, I transitioned to the Brooks Adrenaline, a progression that took me from 'control' to 'support' (in other words, a step down in how rigid my shoes were). I'm not sure how my feet managed that, but I'm pleased about the shift. I could have stayed in the Adrenaline model even with my orthotics, but also had the option of a slightly less structured shoe, and on running around in both in the shoe shop, I went for the Brooks Trance instead. They're still in the 'support' range but have a few subtle differences to the Adrenaline.



One other thing I learnt in my podiatry visits is that I am, supposedly, slightly 'hypermobile' in my joints. This means that my joints stretch slightly further than usual. I found this diagnosis hilarious because I have terrible flexibility, and initially I thought the podiatrist had things completely wrong. As it turns out, hypermobility does tend to be associated with poor flexibility (the joints may be over-mobile but the muscles are not) and injury vulnerability. Fortunately in my case it is quite mild, so I don't think it plays much of a role in my functioning. It may, however, explain why I find it so hard to balance. If I stand on one leg, my ankle joints are liable to wobble all over the place! If you want to know if you are hypermobile, an easy test is whether you can get bend your thumb down to touch the inside of your arm. I thought everyone could do this,  but apparently not.

In all, my first podiatry visit sparked a chain of events that has left me more educated about my gait and running style, more aware of my muscle weaknesses and joint quirks, and better able to (I hope) minimise my injury risks. I am really glad I went through the process, and if you run regularly, I would recommend a gait analysis for interest if nothing else.

Have you ever watched yourself walk or run on video? Or do you have any muscular limitations you've learnt to manage?

24 comments:

  1. I have hypermobility too... I always knew I was stupidly flexible, doing gymnastics and ballet as a kid really didn't help the situation but I've been dealing with it (and a multitude of old injuries) for most of my life.

    I find my hips/knees/wrists/shoulders are the most messy- I seem to be able to hyper extend them and pinch nerves or pull the joint out too far.. and to think my gymnastics coach made us push past the splits.

    My point was when I run I have to be really careful not to let my knees mid lock mid run and be careful of my arms when lifting heavy weights. Also, building up more muscle mass really helps with controlling yourself. I don't have orthotics (I'm still a student) and love to run barefoot but have supportive runners for when running on harder ground/if I feel weak. And I crack like crazy.

    Oh and the thing that made a world of difference was working out that my flexibility is linked to my cycle. I'm MUCH more likely to injure myself in the week before and during so I pay special care not to take any risks.

    Good luck with your exercises & orthotics- I hope they help! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, your hypermobility sounds like it impacts you far more than mine does - well done on working out what makes it better and worse. Management seems to be so important with these sorts of things, and of course everyone is different, so it can be trial and error figuring out your personal approach. I definitely relate to building up muscle mass being important! That's been instrumental in managing my back problems too...I pretty much have minimal muscle mass without effort so I do have to try hard at it!

      Delete
  2. I visited a podiatrist in December and he recommended orthodics. My health fund covered none of of $800 price tag he quoted so I decided not to go ahead yet but may still in the future. It is very interesting but I'm not 100% convinced on it yet as I feel like all podiatrist prescribe orthodics, but maybe that is the cynic in me! Ill be interested to hear how you go with it all ongoing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least the prices seem to be consistent! Mine were $770 or something equally close to $800. I think if I hadn't had them as a child (in response to quite severe foot pain) I would have held off, but it's possible I should never have come out of them really. I do share your skepticism at the same time though - a lot of people seem to get the recommendation!

      Delete
  3. Goodness that sounds like a lot of intervention - sounds like the more you push your body the more you find out about its quirks. Love your purple and green shoes - hope you have lots of good running in them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna :-) Perhaps it would be best if Sylvia doesn't get into athletics in any serious way - the costs and quirks do add up!

      Delete
  4. Oh dear, stories like this make me regret my dessert choice and make me wish I had gone running with my son :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it helps, I have dessert as well as the running ;)

      Delete
  5. Nawww, we have very similar issues (except for the back bit, my back is fine). I too have weak glutes on the right side and drop my right hip, and forever have hip and ITB pain. Orthotics have been a godsend, but because I am really really hypermobile, I've been advised that I shouldn't run or do high-impact exercise until I have super strong legs again. The hard bit is keeping up with physio/weights/exercises - I get complacent far too quickly. Fabulous post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your own experiences! That must be tough with the hypermobility really impacting on your ability to move, but it's great that building up strength does help. Motivation and time to do that can be tough though, I agree :S

      Delete
  6. I am glad that your podiatry visit was helpful, even though it was expensive. Sometimes it really is worth it in the end if you can afford it. I have had a gait analysis done from time to time to check on progress. They have been very beneficial to me. Super glad that you are enjoying your new Brooks. I love how bright they are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them too :-) It helps at the moment given it's winter - I shine in the darkness! And I think the costs are / will be worth it. Physiotherapy appointments add up quickly when I do end up injured and of course then I lose running for a while too!

      Delete
  7. Our running issues sound so similar it's uncanny! PT has really helped me a lot as has working on the strength training of my butt! Hopefully it works for you too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My butt is certainly feeling some pain after workouts these days, so it seems to be learning that it has to actually act when I'm moving :D It's good to hear you've had success with a similar approach!

      Delete
  8. I don't know what you mean. Your drawing is pretty cool ;). While it's no fun paying so much up front, I'm glad that you are able to address the issues you're having before it leads to a major problem. Prevention is always better than treatment, no? I got my gait analysis done as well several years ago when I was shopping for pair of new running shoes. This is when I was really hardcore about running. Apparently, I am a "normal" runner. I see. While I love to run, I had to stop for my health. Ironic, I know. During the months when I run for more than 10 miles per week (which I don't think is a lot at all!), I end up skipping my cycle. So frustrating. Since I can't find that happy balance, I just walk now a days. Definitely not as exciting, that's for sure. And no, I can't touch the inside of my arm with my thumb bent. You are special hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does sound like a really frustrating scenario :S I'm so glad you were able to step back from running and recognise what your body needed though. Maybe in time you'll be able to reintroduce it when your body has had a chance to heal and restore itself a bit more? It's pretty cool you are a 'normal' runner in your gait at least :)

      Delete
  9. Having just had a stress fracture from not getting good running shoes, seeing a podiatrist or wearing orthotics, I think you've been really wise and that although this has been a costly exercise, very well worth it in the long run. Running is a great sport but it can be so hard on your body, especially if you're not doing it right. Great that you're getting all your issues sorted - we seem to have a lot of the same issues! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely taken me a few years to work out that running is going to cause stress on my limbs unless I manage it. I know some people seem to just run without difficulties, but not all of us are so fortunate! I hope you're right and that the cost now will pay off in the long run. I also hope you're own injuries are healing?? You've done well reading a post that featured so much of the dreaded R word ;)

      Delete
  10. I am not a runner, but I hear you on the injury prevention. I do clinical pilates and have added exercise physiology to try and get my muscles to behave properly. Mh mum has orthotics, so I know they cost a bomb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clinical pilates is something I think I'd benefit hugely from. so I'm always interested to hear when others do it. Perhaps one day I will manage to work it into my schedule.

      Delete
  11. I had to get orthotics this past year for my back pain and misalignment and I have to say they helped SO MUCH. Thankfully they were mostly covered by my insurance plan. I definitely think they played a role in my being able to run without knee and hip pain. Something I've NEVER been able to do!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's interesting to hear someone's specific story of symptoms and treatment; I worked at a shoe store for a while, where we made recommendations to lots of people with varied food conditions. It seemed the overwhelming majority of people benefited from getting good arch support, which is a common treatment for most food conditions. What's it like running with orthotics, though? I always had the impression that one shouldn't engage in active physical activity while wearing orthotics.

    Sophie Kramer | http://www.acpodiatry.com.au/services.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always been prescribed orthotics precisely for physical activity! I've run a half marathon in mine, so they seem to be okay :)

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).