Monday, July 8, 2013

Vegan chocolate peanut butter muffins with a raspberry jam filling

My parents are currently visiting family in the U.K., and my sister and her boyfriend are celebrating the end of university exams (and for my sister, the end of university) with 3 weeks in Asia. Thus, my brother is house and cat sitting the family home, a set up that has perks (large house all to himself; no questions or requests regarding the cleanliness of said house; food money left so that he can afford to eat) but also some costs (two challenging cats to care for; no food shopping or cooking except what he does himself; no mother to take pity on her PhD studying son and do his laundry for him).

In such scenarios, I take great pleasure in catering. What self-respecting big sister wouldn't? These muffins were the first installment, and gave me an opportunity to indulge in peanut butter baking, which invokes horror in my nut hating husband (sigh).



One disclaimer I should get out of the way early is that the photos of these muffins are abysmal. I am terribly sorry. I made the muffins on a Sunday afternoon, and by the time they came out of the oven it was too dark for good photography. On Monday morning I left for the gym at 6am (also dark) and went straight on to work, with vague hopes of photographing them in my office during the day. Those hopes didn't come to fruition, and when I left work at 6pm it was again dark and I was left with the unavoidable prospect of taking photos on my phone in poor lighting in my parent's kitchen.

A proper food blogger would have made another batch for the express purpose of photography. I'm just issuing an apology, and an assurance that these are more attractive in reality than in these images.


I did find that these muffins were slightly dry, I suspect due to my exclusive use of cocoa powder over chocolate. I rectified this by cutting the muffins in half and spreading the centre with raspberry jam, but in future would probably use some melted chocolate as well as cocoa, and add a dollop of jam to the middle of each muffin before baking. I'm listing the recipe as I made it below with these suggested variations at the end.

Vegan chocolate peanut butter muffins with a raspberry jam filling
Makes 12 medium-large muffins


Ingredients
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
3/4 cup brown sugar
Egg replacer to the equivalent of 1 egg, or 1 egg
1 1/3 cup non-dairy milk (I used sweetened almond milk)
1/2 cup cocoa powder (*see note below)
1/4 cup natural peanut butter
1/4 cup oil
2 tbsp crushed peanuts

Raspberry jam, extra, for spreading (*see note below)

Method
Preheat your oven to 180'C and line a 12-pan muffin tray with muffin liners.

In a large bowl, combine the flours, bicarbonate of soda and sugar. Add the egg replacer, milk, cocoa, peanut butter and oil. Stir thoroughly to combine.

Transfer the mixture to the prepared muffin tray and sprinkle each muffin with crushed peanuts before baking.

Bake for 18 - 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.

When cool, cut each muffin in half and spread with raspberry jam before serving.

A note on variations: If I make these again, I would use 1/4 cup cocoa powder and 50g chocolate, melted, instead of 1/2 cup cocoa. I would also add a teaspoon of jam to the centre of each muffin before baking, by half filling the muffin pan with batter, adding a dollop of jam to each muffin, and then adding the rest of the batter.


Submitted, despite the photos!, to Healthy Vegan Friday #51

Do you bake for people when you think they need looking after?

35 comments:

  1. oh yum! yep definitely all my favourites in that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are rather all inclusive muffins - nothing left out!

      Delete
  2. My brother is pretty much incapable of feeding himself also, so I'm always cooking/baking for him! He loves the chocolate+PB combo so I know he'd adore these. Delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brothers are definitely good for providing a baking excuse (not that I really need excuses anyway) ;)

      Delete
  3. I am sure your brother appreciated these. I didn't realise Mr B hated nuts - I find allergies easier to understand than just plain hatred but there are also so many more people who love peanut butter - in fact I thought you would address the dryness with a dollop of nut butter. I am sure I'd love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure we even each other out as I hate cheese and can't stand his typical morning fruit drink concoctions (the stuff that is drink and not juice) :-) I have stopped hassling him about that and he in turn doesn't make a fuss when the kitchen smells of nut butter! I also agree that a dollop of nut butter would be a nice addition / alternative to the jam...mmm.

      Delete
  4. I love anything peanut butter (Sorry Mr. Bite!). Your muffins looks yummy and sound amazing. You have one lucky brother!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love this idea for a muffin - especially with the jam bit. I've been staring longingly at my neglected muffin tins lately...I probably need to make something just like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully this will kick start you into pulling out the muffin tins and having fun! Muffins are such enjoyable things to make :)

      Delete
  6. I am also a bad blogger... I also photograph leftovers (like tomorrow's post, hehe) and then can't be bothered to make it again. HAHA. Stress-free in my kitchen! I hope my words carry more weight that my photos I am glad that didn't stop you from sharing a good recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make me feel so much better! I'll look forward to seeing your leftovers post ;)

      Delete
  7. You are such a lovely big sister! These look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm probably not always lovely, but I guess chocolate and peanut butter go a long way to smoothing things out :P

      Delete
  8. I'm always intrigued by your baked goods! So creative! Your brother is lucky to have a loving sister like you ;). I def feel the need to feed my brother when he's home by himself as he doesn't even know how to crack an egg..he's 24 years old..sigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is 26 :D I don't think they ever change (although in fairness, mind can crack an egg!).

      Delete
  9. I loooove the look of these! I love nuts though.. so you had me at peanuts :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a lovely sister to have. Hope he appreciates it!!. A great combination of flavours Kari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I get him to read these comments, he should certainly appreciate me ;)

      Delete
  11. Oh wow!! What a delicious sounding combination :) YUM my kiddies would love that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think peanut butter and chocolate is a quintessential childhood combination!

      Delete
  12. Perfect combinations !
    Yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum those look great! Nothing better than peanut butter and chocolate together :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Firstly, is there anyone in your family not studying for a PhD? I remember the good old days when my parents would go away and leave us the house and the keys to the car and some food money - they were always the best times! It's very difficult at this time of the year to be a food photographer - the daylight hours are just too short xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, only my brother and I were foolish enough to take the PhD route, and I'm finished, so he is left as the sole representative now ;) I seem to have missed out on parental absences from an empty house, perhaps because my sister is 7 years younger and by the time she could sensibly be left I had moved out! It seems a shame!

      Delete
  15. Hahah I think many bloggers are guilty of that- I often won't bother to take better pictures either! Blogging takes so much time anyway we need to reduce stress where we can right? ;)

    The flavours in these sound amazing! Who cares about the pictures (which aren't even terible!), these muffins speak for themselves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Gabby :-) I agree - unnecessary stress is something best left alone!

      Delete
  16. Dulce de leche in the middle. Drizzled over. Though I guess that isn't vegan... le sigh.

    But you know I love the sound of these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes not vegan is justified. And I must confess I thought of you when making them...although I also thought you might have preferred the peanut butter and chocolate straight up ;)

      Delete
  17. Just mouthwatering....looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).