Monday, July 15, 2013

Pineapple-cherry-watermelon green smoothie - milk and banana free

I found the thought of going from winter-appropriate roast vegetables to a summer-appropriate icey smoothie amusing, so...here we are.


With the above said, I am not just posting this to indulge my sense of humour. I did actually drink it on Saturday, and it was very good (even if my hands were a bit numb afterwards and I had to find an extra jumper), and I've heard it might be summer in places other than Australia. 

This smoothie is nice for lots of reasons, but the minimal ingredient list is a big benefit. It has fruit and spinach, nothing else. If your house is like mine and you always have tinned pineapple and frozen fruit, you could probably make it on a whim any time you like.


Lest you worry that the 'fruit and spinach and nothing else' approach gives a smoothie that is bland, or icey and not sufficiently creamy, or too spinachy...you need not  be concerned. It doesn't, and it isn't. It's sweet from the pineapple, has plenty of oomph from the frozen fruit, and tastes wonderful for something that is probably doing you all sorts of benefits in vitamin C.

In all? I recommend it, whatever your season.

Pineapple-cherry-watermelon green smoothie
Makes 1 generous smoothie, or 2 smaller sharing sizes
Vegan, fat free, and easy
High-speed blender or food processor required

Ingredients
1 cup baby spinach leaves
1/2 cup frozen cherries (pitted; mine were bought frozen)
1/2 cup frozen watermelon pieces (mine was fresh watermelon I froze at home)
1 tinned pineapple ring or ~1/4 cup tinned pineapple pieces
1 cup pineapple juice

Method
Combine everything and process until smooth.

Drink!



Submitted to 5 Ingredient Mondays and Healthy Vegan Friday #52.

Do you stick with seasonally appropriate fare, or are you like me and enjoy cold things all year around?

25 comments:

  1. It's such a pretty colour which is obviously from the cherries. I love cherries and I love smoothies and so I don't know why I haven't ever had a cherry smoothie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do it all too rarely too Charlie - but I recommend mixing the two!

      Delete
  2. I'm a year-round person for smoothies even though they are sometimes painfully freezing to drink! Not a watermelon fan though.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite new to watermelon myself, in a smoothie sense anyhow. The only bit I don't like is sometimes the seeds turn up in my drink!

      Delete
  3. I drink a lot of smoothies. However, I've never added cherries..hmm..I wonder why. It's always the usual culprits - strawberries, bananas, peaches, blueberries, and apples. Thanks for the idea. And I def don't mind eating cold things all year round. I love eating ice cream or shaved ice during winter ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never added apples or peaches! We'll have to swap ingredient lists and experiment ;)

      Delete
  4. This is so fresh and clean :) Love the colour too. I'm still into my green smoothies but this looks olike it would be perfect made into ice blocks for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love ice cream all year round so yes :)

    I haven't seen frozen cherries here before, I will have to try and find them now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find them in the same section as frozen raspberries and other berries - and the same brand, Creative Gourmet :-)

      Delete
  6. we've been drinking smoothies lately - not because we want summery refreshment but it is such a good way to get more fruit in when the fruit gets a bit shabby at this time of year. I love how purple your juice is even with the spinach leaves in it - they always make mine a murky colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually end up with murky green too so the purple was a pleasant surprise! I think the cherries are the magic ingredient. Smoothies are definitely a nice break from apples, pears and mandarins which seem to be the only other fruit I'm having at the moment - they get boring so quickly!

      Delete
  7. I am a total smoothie girl! I love putting fresh fruit, almond milk and protein powder together. That is actually my breakfast at least twice a week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I get so addicted to smoothies in the summertime - the winter is hit or miss. Cherries and pineapples are probably my favorite additions! I've been using kale a lot, instead of spinach, because I just got a high-speed blender and I'm still marveling at its prowess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, exciting! If I ever get a high speed blender I'll be using kale too!

      Delete
  9. Frozen watermelon and cherries make such good smoothies. I've never really had tinned pineapple in the house, but frozen pineapple yes. In Australia. Right now, in Cedar City, I just have boca burgers, three different types of ice cream, and multigrain waffles in the freezer.

    The end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your Cedar City freezer beats all Australian freezers :-) Although, I recommend getting into tinned pineapple as an emergency pantry staple when you're settled again. It goes on pizza and cereal just as well as it goes in smoothies (which is, very)!

      Delete
  10. At first I thought you'd put raw beetroot in there with that colour...phew! Happy to see it's just cherries Kari.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although...you have now given me the idea for beetroot...;)

      Delete
  11. I have to admit, I am mostly a seasonal eater, I feel the cold so I want super warming foods in winter and in summer I love my salads... so it is seasonal for me.

    I will have to tag this yummy looking juice for summer ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the vibrant colour here Kari! And I am always craving smoothies be it cold or hot out so I am totally down with this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just the right thing for the time of the season!!! nice color and thirst quenching!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).