Wednesday, July 10, 2013

In my kitchen - July 2013

I am linking this post in to Celia's monthly In My Kitchen event at Fig Jam and Lime Cordial.

I didn't do an In My Kitchen post last month and I found I rather missed it. They are certainly fun posts to put together (reflected, I think, in the number of people now doing them). I'm pleased to be back with a post for July.

In my kitchen this month, we have these raw, vegan Kitz 'Mexican buckwheat' crackers.


I bought these in Fremantle, which never fails to deliver some edible delight. I loved them. I was, however, perplexed by my taste buds saying "Hey, we've had something like this before! I know this taste!" whilst my brain said "Really? I don't know when that would have been. Nope, no recollection at all". I thought I might have been remembering the vegan flax beetroot crackers I had in London, but these crackers taste differently to those ones. 

Leaving aside the disconnect between my taste memory and my other memory, these crackers were crunchy, tasted like tomato salsa with a spice kick, and I wish I had a dehydrater so I could make my own.


In my kitchen, we have red / purple kale and fennel.

Red (or purple) kale and fennel, with celery behind.

I have always called kale of the above colour purple, but my lastest Aussie Farmers Direct box labelled it as red. Either way, I'm delighted to have it. I was also delighted by the fennel, which I rarely buy but enjoy eating. 
 
The rest of the vegetable box.


In my kitchen, I am still getting the odd fright from my neighbour's garage-based statue.

Spot the non-human woman!

It is a year on from when I first mentioned this problematic statue. As Mr Bite pointed out the other day, it doesn't move. It is, in fact, quite predictable. And yet...seen out of the corner of my eye, it still gives me a shock.


In my kitchen, I have had some Kingland Soy Yoghurt pots.


I like them more than the soy yoghurt brand I previously bought, and have found that the small 125g pots serve as a nice mid-afternoon snack at work. I still miss my real, pot-set yoghurt, but until I master non-dairy yoghurt making these work well for an occasional yoghurt hit. They also allow me to make bowls like the one above, consisting of weetbix, yoghurt and banana, which is one of the few ways I will enjoy banana outside of frozen / smoothie / baked form.


In my kitchen, I have had some 'emergency' soups.


I do wish I was the kind of person that always made their own soup, and kept some in the freezer for easy lunches or light dinners. However, I'm not. (I do like making my own soups, I'm just not always organised to have one made when I want soup at short notice.)

If you do buy commercial soups yourself, I'd recommend both of the above. They come in sachets rather than cans, which seems to be a new trend in soup packaging. The sweet potato, pumpkin and pear soup tasted of (surprise!) sweet potato, pumpkin and pear. The only criticism I can levy at it is the suggestion that the pack gives 1.6 serves. I won't begin to try and understand who thought that was a good idea. The vegetable tagine had chickpeas and raisins (trust me on the raisins, they worked) and was mildly spicy. As a bonus, it also had a helpful 2.0 serves.


In my kitchen, there is brown basmati rice.


I found this at the bulk food store where I buy my nuts and legumes, and it's the first time I've seen brown basmati. I cooked it with the juice of two lemons and fell utterly in love.


In my kitchen, there were some chocolate covered straweberries.


I saw 'were' because we ate them all on Sunday night, when my brother came over for dinner. These were a cheating sort of chocolate covered strawberry, as I simply melted chocolate (50 cocoa Whittakers) and dipped the strawberries into it before allowing them to set. It's certainly an easy way to dress up fruit!

What is happening in your kitchen this month?

36 comments:

  1. All the sudden I am craving soup! I love big pots of homemade soup in the fall and winter. But I'm also good with going with premade for a quick easy lunch or dinner. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly my stance to soup - homemade is great but premade will do for convenience sometimes :)

      Delete
  2. "dressed fruit" is always a good way to end a Sunday night :-)
    Now for the buckwheat, I don't have a dehydrator either, but have been playing with it a lot since Christmas time. If you turn your oven down really low you can get similar effects with buckwheat baking particularly. I'm hooked on sprouting it and it works really well. I'm sure you could make some of these crackers easy peasy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! Exciting! Thanks B, that's an excellent idea :-)

      Delete
  3. G'day! I have MANY days where I don't know HOW ingredients for into my pantry, true!
    Love your choc covered cherries and thank you for your kitchen view!
    Cheers! Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mexican buckwheat crackers sound like an interesting snack, I'll keep an eye out for them at my local health food store. Those "emergency" soups appear to be less processed than a lot of the other packaged soup products out there but the serving sizes do seem a bit odd.

    Thanks for the reminder about IMK - I must get organised and write another of these posts for this month! I found that it was a good way to write about bits and pieces I don't have the time to do full posts about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love these posts for that reason too - there used to be all these things I'd want to share but not really have sufficient to produce a post. Now I can save them up :-)

      Delete
  5. I really want to find some of those buckwheat crackers they sound so delicious!!! I have not seen basmati brown rice before either, I will have to look out for it.

    I ate them all but one of the best crackers I found were these grain free ones made from dried tomato and seeds, they were super tasty and delicious, I can't remember their name off hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good crackers really are good, aren't they? I wish they could all be of that variety!

      Delete
  6. I've noticed better quality soups being sold in sachets too but 1.6 serves is ridiculous - too much for one but not enough for two - nonsense. I love the look of the strawberries and these are clearly the best way to finish off a meal on a Sunday night. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nonsense indeed! I just ate the full '1.6 serves' myself at once ;)

      Delete
  7. Great stuff! I wished I had fennel the other day - found an interesting recipe in my bookmarks with it but I so rarely buy it. I used to have leftover soup in the fridge but never manage it these days (I think that is the Sylvia factor). I wondered if you had seen this post about dairy free yoghurt - http://myfunnylittlelife.com/2013/06/30/cashew-yoghurt/. And I was surprised to hear that dipping strawberries in chocolate was cheating - sounds excellent to me. Is there another way to do it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the yoghurt link! I hadn't seen that but am very interested indeed. I have seen similar recipes that didn't have probiotic powder and couldn't really get behind them being 'yoghurt' - I will have to seek some powder out and then I'll definitely try that approach. Thanks again :)

      As for the 'cheating' strawberries, I simply meant I didn't whip up the chocolate from scratch, as some people seem to do with coconut oil and cocoa and what not. I think it's a pretty good form of cheating myself ;)

      Delete
  8. Multi-personality kale.. I do so love kale chips at the moment! Yum! Your kitchen pantry looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahaha, I'm laughing at that kale description. Brilliant :-)

      Delete
  9. OH MY purple kale! Never seen that before. Those buckwheat crackers sound great, gotta keep my eyes open for these things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do! They're worth it when you spot them :)

      Delete
  10. Ahhh, creepy mannequin! And I haven't seen soup in satchets like that, it looks very hip and modern, ha ha. Chocolate covered strawberries is such a good and simple idea, I should do that sometime! Pretty much anything is good with chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Even just straight up chocolate!

      Delete
  11. That is a creepy statue! Thankfully I just have my backyard to look at out my kitchen window. Those strawberries look so yummy. I could eat fruit all day during the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A backyard would definitely be nicer! One day we'll progress from cramped inner city living...

      Delete
  12. Wow..that statue is freaky...oh my...On the other hand, your kitchen is full of deliciousness! I rarely buy fennel either but when I do, I throughly enjoy it..it makes me wonder why I don't purchase more frequently. Both of the soups sound amazing as well. I have yet to see the new packaging. But then again, I don't purchase pre-made soup much due to the high levels of sodium. In my kitchen, there's a plenty of lettuce, basil, mangoes, and spiced nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would take some mangoes and spiced nut in my kitchen - yum!

      Delete
  13. oooh I would love one of those strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kari, hooray, you're back! We missed you last month as well! :) I think your purple kale is known as "Red Bor" kale, hence the confusion, and I find it quite tough to work with. It makes quite nice kale chips though! Your box of fruit and veg certainly looks lovely and fresh. And I know exactly what you mean about the statue - Pete left his hat on the back of something on the back deck, and for ages, I thought there was someone out there. In the end I had to go and move it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for clearing up the kale mystery! I'll make sure I cook it well to avoid the toughness that sometimes does mark out kale :-) I'm glad it isn't just me with scary object too!

      Delete
  15. I made soup today - pea and ham. It must have been a soupy day all around.

    Love the peek into your kitchen but that statue would have to get a baseball bat because it would drive me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a wondrous box of veg you have there! Perfect for creativity in the kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those chocolate covered strawberries look fabulous. There's a stallholder at one of my local markets who has been there since I came to Canberra for uni in 2002, and they always have huge strawberries covered in thick chocolate that I can't help but buy. I've never made them myself though... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're pretty easy if you ever want to try! But buying them is also wonderful :)

      Delete
  18. hehehe yes that statue is a big bizarre and I can understand why it would give you a bit of a shock!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).