Tuesday, September 1, 2015

In my kitchen - September 2015

I am linking this in to Celia's monthly In My Kitchen event at Fig Jam and Lime Cordial.

This is my first IMK post since we've moved. I'm still figuring out where things sit in the kitchen and learning the temperament of our oven and hob. So, as well as some of the food within it, I thought I'd feature the kitchen itself in this post. Eventually we will redo the kitchen, but it is perfectly serviceable in its current form.


One of the nice things about this kitchen is it has room for my cookbooks. I like having them easily accessible for inspiration or direction.



Another nice thing is that we now have a dishwasher. It sounds terribly spoilt, but I really do value a dishwasher. We had one in Australia and I missed it enormously in London! This one is quite small, but entirely sufficient for the two of us.


By the dishwasher is our back kitchen door, which I also love. It's an old stable-style door so you can have the top half open while the lower half remains shut.


Adjoining the kitchen is my favourite room in the house, the dining room. I love the fireplace in particular, although we need to organise an electric fire to sit within it.


The dining room also gives plenty of storage for crockery, which is nice after having things squished in odd places in London.


Moving to the food that's actually in my kitchen, I've picked up a few new-to-me items since we moved. We now have a Waitrose in our town, which is a bit dangerous (they have lots of pricey vegan items!) but means I can collect my free to members Waitrose magazine each month.


I also found sugar-free vanilla syrup for adding to coffees or similar. I now have a routine of buying a soya latte to take on the train to work, and like that I can flavour it myself with these drops.


Less fancy than Waitrose but just as fun was a shopping trip to Asda on the weekend we moved. To those of you not in the UK, Asda is one of the cheaper supermarkets on offer. We have never lived within walking distance of one and as we don't have a car, haven't explored the chain much. We hired a car for our moving weekend so took advantage of that to visit and stock up.

Being me, I stocked up particularly well on chocolate. The pistachio chocolate and cacao nib chocolate blocks below were particularly delicious.


I also liked these Asda takes on Naked bars, which come in a few flavours. I liked the banana-oat and cocoa-oat versions I tried.


Moving on from processed foods, my kitchen also held an apple that I picked from an apple tree on a local walk. I can't believe I live somewhere where I can pick wild apples. It was rather tart, but cooked up nicely.


I was also pleased to pick up this yellow courgette from down our street. Someone had left a bundle of them out the front of their house with an invitation to help yourself - obviously a good gardener.


As we sit on the cusp of summer and autumn, my kitchen also has plums and views of rain. I was feeling sad about summer ending a few weeks ago, but am now savouring the signs of the next season and am feeling increasingly inclined towards porridge and soup.

What is happening in your kitchen this month?

22 comments:

  1. looking good! Lovely that you can pick apples (and get zucchinis!) like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel amazing to be able to pick fruit wild. I've never lived somewhere you can do that before!

      Delete
  2. your new home sounds just lovely with kindly neighbours, wild fruits and a stable door. I haven't spent a lot of time in waitrose but I do know all about it from the hilarious Overheard in Waitrose Facebook page :-) I am curious about your stove - looks like it is electric which is always something I have avoided but I feel I might come round to them so wondered how you found it (can't remember if your last place was electric for the stove)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Overheard in Waitrose page makes me laugh out loud quite literally :D It paints a fairly accurate picture of the image of Waitrose too!

      The stove is electric and Mr Bite has always avoided them too, so we are very much still getting used to it. I think I can say with confidence he isn't a fan of it...I'm less opposed but still find it a bit more challenging than gas as it takes a while to heat up and then similarly a while to cool down, so simmering temperatures are tricky.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE the stable door. I have always wanted one like that. I love the fire place in the living room too. Glad to hear you are happy in your new home :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your kitchen is beautiful!! And I am entirely jealous of the dishwasher...those are not easy to come by in NYC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having experienced NYC kitchen spaces, I can believe that!

      Delete
  5. A sweet little kitchen with a lovely outside view of plums and rain- sounds so comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, I don't think I could live without my dishwasher {it must be an Australian thing}.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say hand washing dishes was the only gripe in my relationship with my husband during our time in London :D

      Delete
  7. You have so much room. Loved the tour of your kitchen, we had one of those doors on our kitchen when I was growing up. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear you're familiar with the stable door style! I really like it already :-)

      Delete
  8. New kitchen, new adventure. I particularly like the old stable-style door.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think a dishwasher is mandatory! Love your new kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rather think so too - it certainly makes life easier!

      Delete
  10. I love that kitchen door! I adore peeking into your UK living quarters. I've never been there myself but everything just screams of history and reminds me of many a book I've read.
    How lovely that you live somewhere you can pick fresh apples, and share produce with lovely neighbours :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lisa :-) You will have to come and visit and soak up the history and local apples!

      Delete
  11. I love your new home. Sounds like you should befriend that neighbour and develop some bartering exchanges. I always think a door like that would be good (funny) as a toilet door. Lucky you with that dishwasher :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ;) And yes, I think we need to make friends with our neighbours and develop a trading system - albeit without much to trade from us yet!

      Delete
  12. Very handy to have a prolific gardener close to hand. When the days are sunny it's hard to let go of summer but now it's a bit duller, soup and porridge sound more enticing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. yes i love the dishwasher! that back door is just wonderful. i have always liked stable doors. ooh that chocolate looks good too. and how lovely to pick fruit on a walk. i have always lived in places where there are wild fruits etc growing. it feels very real doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).