Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Chocolate tahini porridge (oatmeal) with raspberries

For me, there is no better test of the weather than how frequently I am eating porridge (oatmeal to Americans). I might have it occasionally in summer, but it takes cooler days and grayer skies for me to embrace it on a regular basis.

I've had porridge four times in the last three weeks, so it's safe to say the weather is changing.


If you are struggling with the shift to autumn (or are impatiently waiting for spring to arrive) then this chocolate tahini porridge is guaranteed to lift your morning. It's about as decadent as porridge can be, but is still true to what porridge should be - nutritious and based around real food.

What made this bowl particularly delightful was having chocolate from three sources (!). I added cocoa powder to the porridge when cooking, drizzled Choc Shot over the top, and sprinkled cacao nibs over everything for good measure. This is a breakfast to satisfy in every way.


If you don't have Choc Shot sauce available, you could use another chocolate sauce, or make your own with cocoa powder, coconut oil and stevia or maple syrup. Alternatively, you could just increase the cocoa within the porridge and add syrup / sweetener of choice to the porridge itself.

You can also swap out the tahini for peanut butter or another nut butter of choice, although I do recommend the tahini: I found it worked well against the cocoa and raspberries.


Chocolate tahini porridge with raspberries
A delicious breakfast that will help you embrace cool weather!
Serves one
Vegan

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1/3 cup rolled oats
2/3 cup non-dairy milk of choice (I used unsweetened almond)
1 small apple, diced or grated (optional but I like fruit in my porridge)
1 tsp cocoa powder
1 tsp + 1 tsp tahini, divided
1 tbsp Choc Shot chocolate sauce or equivalent
1-2 tsp cacao nibs
Handful raspberries

Method
Combine the oats and milk in a saucepan and simmer over medium-high heat for several minutes, stirring regularly. Add the apple, cocoa powder and 1 tsp tahini and reduce heat to medium-low. Allow to simmer for a further 2-3 minutes until thickened.

Transfer the porridge to a bowl and drizzle over the remaining tahini, chocolate sauce and cacao nibs. Top with raspberries and serve.

What are you enjoying for breakfast at the moment?

11 comments:

  1. chocolate-tahini is a winner combination but I never thought to have porridge like that-- I will rectify that immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice idea - one of my favourite bikkies is chocolate and tahini so this looks like making these bikkies into breakfast - I have also been wondering about trying tahini in muesli which I have seen a few times

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might need to go the other way and make your biscuits and muesli!

      Delete
  3. What a great way to use tahini. I always have loads left over after making hummus and I make some salad dressings but I am not sure what else to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the sound of a bit of chocolate to kick-start the day. This is perfect fare for us here in Sydney right now as it's bloody freezing with non-stop rain - I'm sick of it! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear - I think you definitely need chocolate at breakfast in that case. You may even want to skip the porridge and have it straight up :P

      Delete
  5. Yes! I do exactly the same, only with bananas and Choc Shot - the breakfast of champions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! I'll have to try your version too :D

      Delete
  6. Chocolate and tahini go so well together :-) This sounds like an awesome way to start the day!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).