Thursday, September 10, 2015

Latest book and TV loves

After a chilly start to the week, today we could be in Australian spring or autumn. The morning air was cool and crisp, but the midday temperatures nudged 20'C and the sky is pure Australian blue.


The weather was perhaps more striking because several of my recent reads have featured Australian scenes. There is something a tad unsettling about reading of places you know but no longer are. The books, however, have been good and inspired me to share a book-themed post. It's been a while between TV thoughts too, so I'm bundling them into this post as well.


First, the books. Not pictured above because I read it on my iPad is the latest book from C. J. Sansom. If you haven't read Sansom's books, I highly recommend them - they are my favourite series from the last few years. He has written two stand alone books, but most of his work forms a series set around Tudor-period London. Lamentation is the latest and it was as excellent as its predecessors.

The Silver Thread by Kylie Fitzpatrick also features scenes from London, as well as Ireland and Australia, but somewhat earlier in time. It begins in 1840, when British convicts are being shipped to Australia. There are mysteries, family dramas and a female heroine who refuses to fit the gender stereotypes of her time.

Little Exiles by Robert Dinsdale also has a UK-Australian them, but this time after WWII - and instead of convicts being shipped to Australia, it is orphaned or impoverished children. It is a disturbing tale because of the truth that underpins the story (such children really where shipped away, often without true consent from their parents) but is well written and compelling to read. Much of the story is set in the inner Australia many current Australians don't visit - inland Western Australia and the Northern Territory.

Last, I read a fully Australian tale (no UK setting!) based on a true story of a 5-year-old boy found dead in suspicious circumstances in a chaotic and disadvantaged home. Ghost Child by Caroline Overington was perhaps my least favourite of my recent reads, but still gripping enough to hold me through several train journeys.

An English church, but the sky is pure Australia

For those of you who prefer screen-based entertainment to the book variety, I have recently discovered Silent Witness and now know why it has such a fan base. Do you know it?? If not, seek it out! It is very good. It has also led me to develop a bit of a crush on Emilia Fox. We're watching old episodes and it fills me with joy that there are many to watch.

The Game, a 'British Cold War spy thriller' is another excellent discovery although one we have nearly finished now. Which leads me to ask - what series do you think I should be watching? Book recommendations are always gratefully received as well!

So - what are you reading or watching at the moment?

10 comments:

  1. Who knew the sky could be so blue in England? Gorgeous. I am going through a cultural desert - not reading or watching anything at the mo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you are enjoying the extra time provided by being book and TV free :-) And yes, the sky!

      Delete
  2. It is 20 C here today and lovely to have some warmth! I am a little jealous of you getting so much reading done on the train - I just don't have enough time to read. The book I really loved lately was All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven - about two teenagers with mental health problems which sounds a bit worthy but it is beautiful and uplifting and sad all at once. I also enjoyed The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer recently.

    re tv, we are watching Humans which is currently on the ABC and I am finding it probably my tv show of the year - it is so thought provoking with all the talk about synthetic humans and artificial intelligence. I think it showed in Britain earlier this year so you might have seen it. The other show I am loving is Utopia - a Rob Sitch comedy about bureaucracies which is so spot on and hilarious in an understated way - so much better than the Office ever was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our weather sounds pretty similar :-)

      More reading time is definitely a bonus of the travel. I like the sound of the two you mention and haven't read them, so will look them up.

      We watched the Swedish Humans in Australia a few years ago but are enjoying the BBC one as well (we recorded it) :-) It's a bit easier without sub titles and the story has been changed slightly, which helps with watching it again.

      Delete
  3. The sky has been a very nice colour recently.
    I bought a few books the other day and I am going to make time to read them and enjoy every second of relaxing reading time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! I can't imagine life without reading :-)

      Delete
  4. I am definitely going to try to find those books! I'm in need of some new good reads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are doing a lot of reading. I'd like to read the book about the convicts. I'm glad you're enjoying some clear blue skies and relatively warm weather before winter sets in. That really is a beautiful blue sky and I can confirm, that's exactly the sky we had in Sydney today! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! I always think of these border seasons as similar in the southern and northern hemispheres :-)

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).