Thursday, September 3, 2015

3 days in Dresden

Having posted recent images of our new home and neigbourhood, it seems a bit odd to now reveal I am in Germany. It has been a brief, jam-packed work trip (Tuesday through Thursday) and I return home today. It's actually my first real visit to Germany, other than a night train from Prague to Brussels that included an hour at the train station in Cologne. I have spent most of my time here indoors, but am fortunate to be staying in the attractive central old town area.

Dresden, views through to central square

Contrary to appearances, the old town is actually, in large part, rather new. Dresden was one of the many German cities bombed in WWII and most of the buildings pictured above and below were destroyed. They only finished rebuilding them in the last 5 years, but they have done an amazing job of the work. Other than looking particularly clean and well kept, the buildings could pass for their historical counterparts.

Dresden central square

I started the trip expecting I would be vegetarian but not vegan for the 3 days. To give some context for this, when asked to pre-order choices for our group dinner, the main meal options were described as "meat (chicken) or vegetarian (fish)". It took me a while to figure out what this meant because to me, of course, fish is not vegetarian! Further, on our first night here when ordering in a local restaurant, a salad with nuts and goat's cheese was labelled as vegan. 

Mural of Saxon kings and leaders

Contrary to stereotypes, though, the food has not been all meat and potatoes. I also know there are options for vegans, because we drove past a modern looking restaurant called "We Love Vegan". I have enjoyed plenty of fresh vegetables and despite the fish confusion, vegetarians are catered to.

Lingnerterrassen Restaurant

Our group dinner was at the fancy Lingnerterrassen restaurant, which is in a 19th century palace that rather looks like a castle (above). It was a beautiful setting with views back towards Dresden and beyond. 

After ordering a vegetarian meal without fish (!) I was delighted to find my request had been translated to 'vegan' along the way. When travelling for work, I am wary about being too demanding with my food choices and would have coped with dairy or egg if needed - but it was a huge bonus to be presented with beautiful vegan food instead. I don't have photos of anything on account of the work context, but I had a stack of roasted vegetables minus the standard cheese for a starter; a large plate of roasted vegetables and potatoes for a main (perhaps not entirely balanced but tasty); and beautiful berry sorbet and fruit for dessert.

Views from Lingnerterrassen

All in all, it has been a whirlwind but positive first glimpse into Germany. Dresden is but one corner of what was East Germany, and I gather there are still differences between the east and west sides of the country. Clearly I have more exploring to do here one day. For now, though, I am rather looking forward to flying home tonight and catching up on sleep after one last, normal work day tomorrow. Between early flights, late dinners and the one hour time difference, I am operating in a rather sleep deprived state!

Views along the river Elbe
 What have you been up to this week?

10 comments:

  1. I love the look of German cities, I just can't decide which one I want to go to first. I am hoping to go to one for a Christmas market this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Christmas market would be great fun. I am sure you'll enjoy picking where to go!

      Delete
  2. I would love to go to Dresden and it's on my list for 'one day'. Vegetarian fish meals, yikes! Your vegan meal sounds lovely and so does the palace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you make it to visit soon - and no doubt you'll make it to the We Love Vegan place that will not have 'vegetarian fish' :D

      Delete
  3. It is funny how a small time difference can put you out of kilter - really interesting to hear how they have recreated the buildings - the bombing of dresden is something I have heard mentioned quite a lot and I have a feeling I saw a movie with the bombing recreated but can't remember the name. Glad you ate well too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna...it did highlight to me how much more Australia (thinking here particularly of Perth) could have done to create attractive buildings rather than soulless modern architecture. Melbourne has done better at that at least!

      Delete
  4. How lovely to visit Dresden. It looks very picturesque and I do love the sound of dining in a castle. The vegan and vegetarian dishes sound very liberal! It's like when I order a non-seafood dish and it arrives with prawns! What I love about Europe is how close it is to go 'overseas' and within a few hours, you can be in a totally foreign country - not like here! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! People here express amazement and horror when I tell them it took 5 hours to fly from Perth to the Eastern states!

      Delete
  5. How exciting! I would love to visit Germany. It's like a bad sitcom, isn't it, with vegetarian = fish.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).