Sunday, December 29, 2013

Jamie Oliver inspired watermelon and noodle salad

Those of you who watch, or own the book of, Jamie Oliver's 15 minute meals may be familiar with this salad. Combining salad vegetables with watermelon, rice noodles and an Asian-style dressing, it is pretty much perfect for Australian summer weather. Jamie paired it with a sticky kicking chicken dish, but I can attest that it also works beautifully with tofu, or just topped with some chopped nuts. It would make a wonderful contribution to a barbecue or picnic.


Usually I wouldn't post a variation on a published recipe unless I'd made substantial adaptations, which isn't the case here. However, there are several versions of this already online (not that multiple wrongs make a right!) and my adaptations mean you don't require a food processor, which Jamie's original recipe did call for. I figure this could be useful to a few of you, so am posting my twist on the recipe below. I also left off Jamie's crunchy noodle topping, which means you don't need to do any heat-based cooking to throw this together. 


If you eat seafood, Jamie has another watermelon salad on his 15 minute meal website, in the form of a prawn and watermelon salad. I imagine that would be an equally lovely summer dish.

For those of you in wintry climates, I know watermelon will be in short supply. However, summer will roll around again (truly!) and I hope you might enjoy this too when that happens.


Watermelon and noodle salad
Lightly adapted from Jamie Oliver's Asian watermelon salad. All credit goes to Jamie for the basic recipe concept.
A genuine 15 minute meal!
Serves 4 as a generous side or light meal, or 6-8 as a smaller side dish
Vegan


Ingredients
150g thin rice (vermicelli) noodles
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 thumb sized piece of ginger, finely chopped
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
2 tbsp lime juice
2 baby cos lettuces (also known as little gem lettuces, or use another crisp lettuce), roughly torn
1 small fennel bulb, outer layers removed and finely sliced into thin sticks
4-6 radishes, finely sliced
Half bunch of fresh mint, leaves roughly chopped
Half bunch of coriander, stems and leaves roughly chopped
1/4 large watermelon (preferably seedless), cut into pieces

Method
Place the rice noodles in a bowl, cover with boiling water, and allow to soften for 2-3 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool. You may want to cool these in the fridge, to ensure they are fully cool before adding to the salad.

Make the salad dressing by combing the chopped shallot and ginger, soy sauce, sweet chilli sauce, and lime juice in a bowl or jug. Whisk to combine and set aside.

In a large serving or mixing bowl, combine the lettuce, fennel, radishes, and most of the mint and coriander. Add the noodles and toss to combine. Pour over the salad dressing, and then add the watermelon pieces. Toss again to mix all ingredients. Top with remaining mint and coriander.

Serve immediately, or keep in the fridge until needed. This will keep well for 48 hours, but is fresher when served within 4 - 6 hours.


I've made this dish twice now, once at home and once to share with Mr Bite's family, and it was a hit both times. I plan to make it my standard summer salad!

Do you like fruit in savoury salads? I adore the combination, especially in summer.

18 comments:

  1. I love the idea of watermelon in salad but am yet to try it - this variation on the ones I have seen before sounds really lovely and innovative - probably the most inspired dish I have seen from that cookbook to date

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my first time putting watermelon in salad too and it definitely won me over...as you say, one of the best of the 15 minute book I think :-)

      Delete
  2. What a unique recipe, never even thought to combine watermelon and rice vermicelly before, tempting to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't bought his 15-minute book yet; I'm still wading through his 30-minute meal cookbook - he's so hard to keep up with! I love the look of this. I know I'd enjoy the flavours. I make a watermelon salad with feta and mint in it and it's very refreshing, especially in the heat xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in the fortunate position of skipping over the 30 minute meals to go straight to 15 :-) It sounds like you already have a great variation on this of your own - refreshing in the heat is perfect right now :)

      Delete
  4. Watermelon and noodle? I'm in. I just love this combination and I'm dying to try it. Like Charlie, mine has always been a lot of mint with feta and watermelon. Perfect on a hot day like today but now I want this noodley one.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think adding noodles is always a good thing and they are definitely worth trying here!

      Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete
  5. Looks delicious and fresh! Am yet to try watermelon in salad...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine it would appeal to children too, which might be good in your house ;)

      Delete
  6. Remind me in six months when it's warm again. I can't promise I'll remember that far away. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair enough...although as you're already making summer appropriate salads, you may find you don't need much reminder after all ;)

      Delete
  7. Yum, what a perfect summer dish. I'm just loving salads at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're just perfect for this time of year, aren't they?

      Delete
  8. This looks rather good. I got 15 Minute Meals for Christmas - will have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, brilliant! I got the book last year and think it's great :) This is actually in the chicken section as it's listed with the sticky kicking chicken recipe.

      Delete
  9. whoa baby! I had to double take there. The watermelon looked like salmon! Love this idea. I always get disappointed at Jamie's stuff when he's cooking up slabs of meat. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahaha...now you mention it, so it does! That would definitely have taken you by surprise ;) Happy New Year too, Cass.

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).