Monday, April 22, 2013

Incaberry oat breakfast bars

A week or so ago, I was delighted to see incaberries turn up on Orgasmic Chef and Hotly Spiced, blogs written by the charismatic Maureen (Orgasmic Chef) and Charlie (Hotly Spiced). I tried incaberries last year after seeing them at a local independent supermarket, and loved their tart-sweet taste.

Maureen and Charlie received their incaberries from Australian distributors of the product. After I left a comment on Maureen's post saying how much I'd enjoyed incaberries last year, and how much I'd love to play with them in baking, she kindly alerted the incaberry company to my comment. They, in turn, kindly sent me a sample of my own so I could experiment away.

This chain of events almost leads me to christen incaberries as berries of kindness. Thank you, all.


Whatever name you give them, these berries are full of flavour and they pack a nutritional punch to boot. I won't recite their purported health benefits, but you can read details on the incaberry website if you're interested. I will say that they taste very good.

Last year I didn't get further than eating my incaberries plain. This year, I thought I should try a little harder, and set about making something that could serve as a grab-and-go breakfast. These oat slices are the result.


Without the incaberries, these slices wouldn't be very exciting. They taste mildly of oats, a little of vanilla and cinnamon, and somewhat of apple. A bit like a bowl of oats in bar form. The incaberries shake things up, studding the predictable oat-vanilla-apple hues with tart bursts of flavour. There really is something to be said for contrasting flavours, and that something is good.

I'm now finding that these are breakfast bars, but also 3pm bars, and 11am bars, and sometimes even post-lunch bars. And you know what? I think that's the sign of a good bar.

I hope you enjoy them too.

Incaberry oat breakfast bars
These bars are good for breakfast, or for any time.
Extensively adapted from the oatmeal earth bars in Kris Holechek's The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes.
Makes approximately 10 bars.
Vegan.


Ingredients
1 cup plain flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Pinch salt
1 cup apple sauce
1/2 cup milk of choice (I used soy)
1/4 cup agave nectar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp almond butter
1/2 cup incaberries

Method
Preheat your oven to 160'C (320'F) and line a square baking tray with baking paper.

Combine the flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Stir to combine.

Add the apple sauce, milk, agave, vanilla and almond butter and mix well. Stir in the incaberries.

Transfer to the prepared baking tin and bake for 40 minutes or until golden and an inserted knife comes out clean.


If you want other ideas for incaberry use, there are plenty of recipes on the incaberry site, or you could try Maureen's incaberry and date bars or Charlie's three course incaberry meal (spatchcocks with incaberry and macadamia seasoning, gluten-free incaberry brownies, and dark chocolate incaberry clusters!).

Have you tried incaberries? Any other favourite ways to use them?

I received my incaberries free from the incaberry company, but was not compensated for this post and the recipe and opinions are my own.

Submitted to Healthy Vegan Friday #40.

18 comments:

  1. Incaberries is a new one to me. But that slice sounds rather good. I think I would like to eat them with chocolate - and would like to know why so many good foods come from South America!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! One day I will go to South America and try them all in situ - and will no doubt discover even more things that haven't hit our shores yet.

      Delete
  2. These look delicious. I would definitely eat them at 3pm. How very kind of Maureen, still I would expect no less of her, she's awsome

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of inca berries in a slice! They are sooooo tart eaten on their own so definitely need a little sweetness to balance them! I remember I used to find these chocolate covered ones that were amazing, but haven't seen them in a while :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to have to make my own chocolate covered ones!

      Delete
  4. I have never even heard of inca berries but bonus for scoring some to test new recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen inca berries in the US but now I REALLY want to try them! These bars look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we have them, I have a great deal of faith in you having them too ;) They're probably in health food or organic food aisles, just on where I've seen them here. I hope you find some!

      Delete
  6. This sounds sooo wonderful! I have never had incaberries, but I love mulberries and goldenberries, so I think they would be up my alley. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like those two, then yes, I think you'd love these :)

      Delete
  7. Again, you have introduced me to a new ingredient Kari. Love reading about new things to try. Those bars looked fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never previously heard of let alone tried incaberries, but these bars look sensational!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do recommend looking out for the berries - they're really tasty.

      Delete
  9. As much as I can't help giggling when a company does a massive PR push and the same ingredients show up on a great many people's blgs all at once, I do think this looks delicious. ALMOND BUTTER WIN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it makes me giggle too :-) At least in this case I liked the ingredient! And yes - almond butter improves many things. I'd put it in all baked goods if only it was cheaper!

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).