Friday, April 5, 2013

Plum muffins (vegan and streusel topped)

I finally got those plum muffins I was dreaming of.


As it turns out, they really are the muffins of my dreams (and I have made a lot of muffins in my time). They don't have an exotic ingredient list, they aren't particularly different to other plum muffins around, and they're not really new or creative. They are, however, really really good.

These muffins are plum-filled, of course. They also have brown sugar flavours with ginger and cinnamon notes beneath, a textured streusel topping, and a scent that will make your kitchen smell divine while they're baking. I highly recommend them.


As for me? I've already finished this batch and am now dreaming of the next one...

Plum muffins with streusel topping
Makes 15 small sized muffins (as picture) or 12 medium-large muffins
Adapted from these plum crumble muffins at She Knows Vegan
Vegan


Ingredients
Topping
1/4 cup plain flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp oil
1/4 cup chopped plums

Muffins
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/3 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup soy vanilla yoghurt
3/4 cup apple sauce
1/4 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup chopped plums


Method
Preheat oven to 200'C and line muffin tins with muffin liners.

Combine all topping ingredients except the plums and set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ground ginger. Stir to combine. 

Add all other ingredients except the plums (brown sugar, yoghurt, apple sauce, oil, vanilla) and stir well to combine. Add the 1 cup of chopped plums and stir through.

Transfer the mixture to muffin tins, and then top with the additional 1/4 cup chopped plums and the streusel topping.

Bake for 18 - 22 minutes, until golden and the tops spring back when touched.


I think I'd like a steady supply of these for the foreseeable future.

Submitted to Healthy Vegan Fridays #37.

I have asked this question before and got a lot of 'white chocolate and berry' answers - but tell me again, just in case things have changed: what is your favourite muffin type?

25 comments:

  1. Glad you found the muffin of your dreams. They sound and looked really tasty! You are my baking inspiration. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum yum YUM. My favourite muffin flavour is blueberry and passionfruit-curd : ) (take that, boring ol' "white chocolate and berry" muffin! ;) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ps. Could you pretty please let me know which recipe the picture of the chocolate in your header is from?? It looks so good!

      Delete
    2. Sadly, that one isn't a recipe! I wish it was - but on the plus side, it is a chocolate you can buy. The review is in http://www.bitesizedthoughts.com/2011/10/chocolate-of-fairytales.html and it's of a chocolate called 'harem dream' by the English White Rabbit Chocolate company, with Moroccan spices.

      I love the thought of blueberry and passionfruit curd muffins too :-) Definitely better than white chocolate and berry!

      Delete
    3. Im inspired to try making some chocolate like this at home! If I do, I'll let you know!

      Delete
  3. There are so many plums in the stores at the moment and we really should be cooking with them. Your muffins look wonderful xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. These do, indeed, look like the plum muffins one dreams about. I grew up with a plum tree in the backyard, so stewed plums are one of those childhood memory tastes. These look superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have adored a plum tree in my backyard growing up. In fact, I'd adore one now. What a great way to remember plums.

      Delete
  5. I love plums - we were enjoying some tonight and they are so good right now - perfect for baking - saw a smitten kitchen recipe for plum and poppyseed muffins that other day that might just be my favourite if I got around to trying it - though you have reminded me that I still need to post my latest chocolate muffins which are pretty good too (they are savoury)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, plum and poppyseed does sound good. And savoury chocolate muffins sound great! Please post :)

      Delete
  6. Plums are one of my favorite fruits and I can't wait until they go into season here! These muffins sound like they really use them to their fullest potential!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do - I don't think I could have got more plums in if I'd tried :P

      Delete
  7. Oh Yum! I love muffin with streusel topping and plum would be so delicious!! The plums in the supermarket at the moment smell so gorgeously fragrant :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty much perfectly in season, aren't they?

      Delete
  8. Aaaaargh you need to stop being plums are one of my favourite summer fruits and I CAN'T I NEED THE SUN I CAN'T COPE ANY LONGER WITH THE COLD the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could send you some of both. I feel your pain because it is MEANT TO BE AUTUMN and the the weather for the next week is forecast as 30'C, 32, 35, 35, 35 and I CAN'T COPE ANY MORE EITHER and it is too much.

      I do, however, at least have these muffins so I'm giving you extra sympathy and empathy for the combination of weather you don't like without fruit you do :(

      Delete
  9. Yum! These look delicious- and so cute!
    I really like the idea of the strudel topping, I've got to try that out next time I'm baking. Thanks for sharing! and thanks so much for your comments x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Claire :-) And I'm glad you like the look of these!

      Delete
  10. Yum those recipes look great! I've never had plum muffins or cakes before :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look so delightful! Plums, when in season, are one of my favourite fruits! Combine it into a muffin with streusel and that just sounds like perfection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gabby! I love plums too, pretty much any way :)

      Delete
  12. Dear Sir/Madam
    We give out loans to business people and individuals for just 3% interest rate.We give out local and international loans to any body all over the world. We give out loans via account transfer to whatever country you are.
    We Give Out A Minimum Amount Of 3,000.00 to A Maximum of 100,000.000 for any currency round the world.
    We are not a bank and we do not require much documents. If you are interested in getting a loan from our company, contact us with the following details.Contact via Email: thomasloans07@gmail.com

    First Name:
    Last Name:
    Gender:
    Country:
    State:
    Address:
    Post Code:
    Date of Birth:
    Amount Needed:
    Purpose of loan
    Loan Duration:
    Phone Number:
    Contact via E_mail: thomasloans07@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).