Saturday, April 13, 2013

Perugina 51% dark chocolate and 70% dark chocolate, and a week of small mishaps

It's been a week of minor mishaps. Only very minor, you understand, but just enough to make me aware of the amusing, bumpy, and at times inexplicable nature of modern life.

A solution for modern life.

I discovered that my work phone was no longer ringing audibly when someone rang me. I had thought I was missing a surprising number of calls - instead, I was just not hearing the calls. Quite a nice arrangement, except for needing to call everyone back myself.


I tried to apply for new Australian and British passports in my new married name, and failed dismally the first time around. It doesn't help that Australia and Britain have opposing requirements for certain things. It also didn't help that we didn't even have our official marriage certificate - it turns out the one you're given on the day is just pretend!

I seemed to interpret my passport failure as far more significant than it actually was, leading me to drive home that day in tears. I really don't cope well with being told I've done anything wrong, even if it is just filling out a form.

I couldn't get a statistical model to converge. I still can't. I'm ignoring it, which is unlikely to solve the problem.

My work emails are out of control. I'm ignoring that problem too.

I've been trying to liaise with a car hire company for a tentative trip later in the year (that is good) and they are doing a very good job of answering questions that are similar to the ones I'm asking, but not actually the ones I'm asking. If you ever want to frustrate someone, that's a good way to go about it.

As I said, all minor. Nothing that a bit of time won't fix, and nothing even remotely catastrophic. I am, though, rather glad that it is the weekend.

I am also glad that during weeks like this, there are edible ways to make small-scale challenges fade away.

This chocolate is one such way.


Perugina is the brand that makes Baci chocolates, which I am told used to be vegan, but aren't anymore. They also make a range of 100g chocolate blocks. Sadly, as with so many things, the ultimate ownership of Perugina is now a level higher, with Nestle owning the company. I don't have a problem with Nestle per se, but don't usually look to them for my chocolate options.

Spot the Nestle...

Nestle or no Nestle, I do really like these blocks. Both are dairy free and vegan, with the 'dark' chocolate having 51% cocoa and the 'extra dark' 70%. I am not sure I'd match those descriptions with those cocoa percentages, but let's leave that to one side. After all, Lindt calls 47% cocoa 'dark', and they add milk to boot.

The two blocks look near identical, but this is the 51% option.

The 51% cocoa chocolate is sweet in a way that is reminiscent of Easter egg chocolate. In case you take that as a criticism, I should clarify that it is ever so much better than Easter egg chocolate. Darker, obviously, and more chocolatey. Also less sickly, with subtle rather than cloying sweetness. It is like Easter egg chocolate grown up and dressed in a little black dress.

51% cocoa.

The 70% cocoa block is also slightly sweeter than average, and there is not a hint of bitterness to the chocolate. It made me think of espresso, and sitting in a sophisticated bar with dim lighting. I'm not sure I've ever been in a sophisticated bar with dim lighting, but if you want to conjure up the experience from your lounge room - this chocolate will do it for you.

70% cocoa.

These blocks are readily available at local independent supermarkets in Western Australia, and I can see them remaining in my rotation as a reliable dark chocolate option. Now I just need Perugina to give me a dark chilli block, and all will be well with the world...

Any challenges for you last week, small or large scale?
Have you tried these chocolates?

18 comments:

  1. Passports make everyone feel like an underachiever! I think I had to get ours witness half a dozen times and the photo's redone so don't feel bad. Sometimes I think it would be easier to get a fake one ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does make me feel a lot better! Thank you :)

      Delete
  2. Haha, in my woes yesterday, I turned to chocolate, too. Although eating it right before bed is no way to get a good night sleep. I didn't know about the lack of darkness in Lindy's chocolate but I generally look at ingredient lists to make sure it is vegan. I much prefer the dark stuff now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The low-cocoa percentages in some Lindt blocks are also accompanied by milk, so you've probably missed them by searching for vegan ones :)

      Delete
  3. I need to apply for a passport AND I am not looking forward to it. Technically I was adopted so I have a feeling my process is going to want me to rip my hair out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh :( Having that hang over you is no fun at all - I hope it's smoother when expected when the time comes!

      Delete
  4. Ha! That car hire company must be getting training from politicians. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It once took us 4 trips to the post office to post a parcel. We were in Argentina and didn't speak much Spanish but by the 4th trip it was a tad crazy. My week has just been super busy. Really this whole year has been. I keep thinking I'm about to get in a routine then things go and change again. I just think it is going to be one of those years for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a stressful point to be when it's just April! I hope you at least get some weeks where routines do come together, to balance out the busy-ness.

      I generally try to avoid post offices in non-English speaking countries for exactly the scenario you found yourselves in in Argentina! It's amazing how something relatively simple becomes overwhelmingly complex when you haven't got language to smooth the way.

      Delete
  6. I remember when I got married and decided to change my name so I didn't have to be reminded of my ex every time I said my name. John and I stood in a queue at hatched, matched and dispatched in Melbourne for HOURS and then I headed to apply for my new Australian passport. Then I had to go to the US Consulate and apply for a change of name on my US passport. It took an entire day of doing nothing but waiting for my number to come up.

    I did ask for 15 copies of our marriage certificate and the woman behind the counter said "15???" I told her I didn't want to come back.

    I would have been in a much better mood if I had chocolate to come home to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I really wish I had asked for 15. I stupidly only got one (I know!), not really realising I could ask for more. Fortunately getting that was actually very straightforward, so it won't be too painful if I want another original copy in the future. Your experience sounds rather tough, I think chocolate would have been a good thing to have on hand :S

      Delete
  7. Passports are frustrating - sometimes it seems amazing how much travel we all do given how hard the red tape is with passports and visas and customs. E had to do lots of stuff with visas and passports before we went to the UK last year and I was relieved when it was over.

    I didn't know that baci was taken over by nestle - that is disappointing - just feels like there are less and less independent companies out there.

    My challenges today have been rain when we finally got the washing out and then a cake that is taking ages to bake - still in the oven after being in twice as long as the recipe said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate it when cakes do that! Especially because you can't actually have to be around (and awake) to get them out of the oven. I hope yours cooked in time for you to get some other evening activities in (and that your washing dries).

      I know what you mean about Nestle - it is sad.

      Delete
  8. There must be something happening in the universe, because I had a rough week too! I also ended up in tears in my car due to a variety of things that just didn't seem to be going as planned. Sigh.

    It is unfortunate that the bars are now part of Nestle. Nestle actually has a pretty bad history of poor labor practices, including ignoring child slave labor practices in their cocoa fields. : (

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tears whilst driving (or just sitting in the car!) are not fun at all :( I hope you've had a better weekend and the next week is much smoother.

      I have been half aware of the poor practices of Nestle, but thought I wouldn't complicate this post with them - but it is such a big issue, I should have mentioned it really. I keep meaning to do more research on where they are now but know in the past they've been worth avoiding.

      Delete
  9. There's nothing better than chocolate to make you forget a rough week. Pair it with some red wine, and you're good to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And as I'm not much of a drinker, I just pair it with more chocolate ;)

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).